the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

Pwaybloe

That joke isn't funny anymore.

godardian

I'm still jealous of MacG for his attendance of the Wiltern shows in '04. We'll see what happens this time 'round. . . .

This space should be jumping in a couple of months for Ringleader of the Tormentors. I hope.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

The new single can be heard here:

http://music.myspace.com/morrissey

Especially nice for fans of Italian cinema....
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gloria

Quote from: godardian on February 06, 2006, 08:34:37 PM
The new single can be heard here:

http://music.myspace.com/morrissey

Especially nice for fans of Italian cinema....

Oh wow!  I had no idea he had a new album coming out so soon.  The new single is really great.

godardian

"You Have Killed Me" is now available for purchase/download at iTunes (no b-sides... yet).

MacGuffin

Would you turn down $5 million dollars? Apparently Morrissey would. During an interview at this year's South by Southwest conference Thursday, Moz revealed that the Smiths were offered the enormous sum to re-form for this year's Coachella festival but turned the offer down. "When you start doing things for money, something terrible happens to you," he explained. "I haven't reached that stage ... but I might." During his performance at the Austin Music Hall that night, Morrissey attacked the latest round of U.S. bombings in Iraq. "I hear we bombed Iraq again. We can't be looking for weapons of mass destruction again."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

at the same panel, he made my eyes roll numerous times and suggested that he sympathizes with the 9/11 terrorists.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 21, 2006, 05:03:34 PM
at the same panel, he made my eyes roll numerous times and suggested that he sympathizes with the 9/11 terrorists.

...I'm curious about the eye-rolling part. What did he say? He was probably just being droll. And aren't these things why we love him? I cannot think of a single recording artist with his level of ingenuity and talent who has so very little need to be ingratiating. Unlike 99% of people making records, I think he seriously doesn't care if he sacrifices album sales in order to be able to say what he really thinks. Without these veeery nebulously "pro-terrorist" comments (I would like to know the exact words, but I somehow have a feeling it was more "I understand why" than "I sympathize" or "I approve") and the million other little things he says that are not designed to make him popular, he would be a massive, massive star, and people would probably recognize his importance; but paradoxically, he wouldn't be as important if he didn't have this outspoken, opinionated personality. On the other hand, his fan board is full of people (mostly losers, in my opinion--that's why I never post there and avoid reading when there's no news) who can't stand his politics or his sexuality--yes, Virginia, there are actual homophobic Morrissey fans on this planet. He must have some appeal that extends even to those he offends.

So, um, yes. It's just Morrissey and Kanye West and maybe the Dixie Chicks, really, who will say things in no uncertain terms. They should all get together for a big round of "Bigmouth Strikes Again." Maggie Gyllenhaal can be on "now I know how Joan of Arc felt" backup vocals, and George Clooney can play Johnny Marr.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardian on March 22, 2006, 12:46:23 PM
...I'm curious about the eye-rolling part. What did he say? He was probably just being droll. And aren't these things why we love him? I cannot think of a single recording artist with his level of ingenuity and talent who has so very little need to be ingratiating. Unlike 99% of people making records, I think he seriously doesn't care if he sacrifices album sales in order to be able to say what he really thinks. Without these veeery nebulously "pro-terrorist" comments (I would like to know the exact words, but I somehow have a feeling it was more "I understand why" than "I sympathize" or "I approve") and the million other little things he says that are not designed to make him popular, he would be a massive, massive star, and people would probably recognize his importance; but paradoxically, he wouldn't be as important if he didn't have this outspoken, opinionated personality. On the other hand, his fan board is full of people (mostly losers, in my opinion--that's why I never post there and avoid reading when there's no news) who can't stand his politics or his sexuality--yes, Virginia, there are actual homophobic Morrissey fans on this planet. He must have some appeal that extends even to those he offends.

So, um, yes. It's just Morrissey and Kanye West and maybe the Dixie Chicks, really, who will say things in no uncertain terms. They should all get together for a big round of "Bigmouth Strikes Again." Maggie Gyllenhaal can be on "now I know how Joan of Arc felt" backup vocals, and George Clooney can play Johnny Marr.

Don't get me wrong, I like Morrissey and everything, I just don't think he's a brilliant as he seems to think he is.  I'm sorry, but he IS an aging rocker, yet criticizes his idol, Bowie for being the same (as in not as good as he used to be)... he "forgives" Bowie for his recent crap because he used to be so good.

The terrorist thing was just kind of lame to me because it was like he was hinting that he might sympathize with them, but wouldn't actually expand on the sly smile he gave.  Other than that, I really enjoyed the panel and kind of thought it was funny that a couple of times he reminded me of that Simon guy from American Idol with his snobbiness about bands like Joy Division ("Flat as a pancake").

squints

Morrissey Hates Canada, Loves Seals
from Pitchfork

Quanah Humphreys reports:
Canada has free health care, legal marijuana, and state-sanctioned gay marriage, but America's free-wheeling neighbor to the north won't be getting Morrissey.

Canada's annual seal hunt has put it at odds with the king of all vegans, prompting Morrissey to refuse to tour the country in support of his forthcoming album, Ringleader of the Tormentors. In a statement on the fan site True to You, Morrissey said, "I fully realise that the absence of any Morrissey concerts in Canada is unlikely to bring the Canadian economy to its knees, but it is our small protest against this horrific slaughter." That, sir, would be an understantment.

According to Moz, the Canadian government argues that the "cull," as the hunt is called, is a sustainable, economically viable activity based on sound conservation principles, but Morrissey remains offended by "the barbaric slaughter of over 325,000 baby seals which is now underway."

He continued, "The seal population has looked after itself for thousand of years without human intervention, and, as the world knows, this slaughter is about one thing only: making money. The Canadian government will stream all of the pelts into the fashion industry and this is the reason why the baby seals are killed with spiked clubs that crush their skulls - any damage to their pelts is avoided."

Oh, life is a pigsty!

"The Canadian Prime Minister also states that the slaughter is necessary because it provides jobs for local communities, but this is an ignorant reason for allowing such barbaric and cruel slaughter of beings that are denied life simply because somebody somewhere might want to wear their skin. Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering."

Uh, Morrissey? You do realize that you recently played three shows in America, where George W. Bush is President, right? And he's responsible for way worse things than killing baby seals, right? OK, just checking.

He closed his statement with the following: "If you can, please boycott Canadian goods. It WILL make a difference. As things stand, Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

Wow, us Yanks sure dodged a bullet on that one. Maybe we get a free pass because Morrissey used to live here. That's the only logical explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as a strong baby seal clubbing activist i say moz should go fuck himself for screwing the canadians
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

godardian

Like all animal-rights activists, Morrissey takes controversial positions about the human/animal hierarchy that most people take for granted and are shocked to have challenged. I think it is utterly admirable that he has never once wavered on this issue, even though many have mocked and berated him for his stance, and the cause has vacillated in acceptability and fashionability. For someone so observant and therefore ambivalent about human beings, his views seem absolutely fitting to me.

What I'm saying is, I think Morrissey would rightly see clubbing baby seals as part of a continuum that also includes human war. As far back as Meat is Murder, he was saying human-human violence will never end until we question all of our violent behavior and see it is all as interrelated and inseparable.

All that being said, I have to agree that entirely apart from the Morrissey issue, Canada's policies are generally more humane and forward-thinking than those of the U.S., or at least have been. Is this the "new," Conservative prime minister we're talking about here...?

godardian

Purchase the "You Have Killed Me" EP (U.S. version of the 2-part UK single) on iTunes now, or at amazon.

It includes the b-sides "Human Being," "I Knew I Was Next," and "Good Looking Man About Town." All of them are wonderful; they all sound a bit unlike anything he's done before more. "Human Being" is a cover of one of his beloved New York Dolls' more rowdy tunes (from the 1974 The New York Dolls In... Too Much Too Soon album), and it has to be heard to be believed; certainly an essential for anyone who enjoyed his cover of the Dolls' "Trash" on the Live in Dallas video.

"I'm blowing my change on the fan magazines with all the Hollywood refugees," etc.--on the Ringleader goes!

The inner sleeve of the album (for the cover, you need only glance to your left).

NEON MERCURY

I cannot think of a single recording artist with his level of ingenuity and talent who has so very little need to be ingratiating. Unlike 99% of people making records, I think he seriously doesn't care if he sacrifices album sales in order to be able to say what he really thinks. 

i guess you dont listen to popa roach... :yabbse-rolleyes:

godardian

Quote from: pyramid machine on March 28, 2006, 09:31:39 AM
I cannot think of a single recording artist with his level of ingenuity and talent who has so very little need to be ingratiating. Unlike 99% of people making records, I think he seriously doesn't care if he sacrifices album sales in order to be able to say what he really thinks. 

i guess you dont listen to popa roach... :yabbse-rolleyes:

Well, I did qualify that:

godardian

Wow...I'm the only person who ever posts here anymore.  :yabbse-cry:

Anyway, some excellent news:

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_060409_01

...and has anyone bought/heard the album yet?

My review is still in the works. I have something somewhat special planned for it. Nothing TOO spectacular, so don't set the bar too high; my little idea is more time-consuming than anything.

Also, he's been covering Magazine's "Song from Under the Floorboards" in concert.