Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

Reel

I watched Toby Dammit last night, just the right of dose of everything great about Fellini. I loved it, especially the visuals. Everything was so exact, right on the money. I can really see where filmmakers like Scorcese and Lynch adopted some of their stylization from, and I forgot the fact that the man is a comedic genius. His films are entertaining and funny through and through. When you hear his name dropped so many times under the pretension that he's a 'serious filmmaker' you tend to forget that. He's serious in that he wants to make good shit for people to watch.

So I've seen 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria, Amacord, and Satyricon. That was years ago but I want to see something fresh from him that will make me love movies, what do you suggest?

Gold Trumpet

Try Juliet of the Spirits next. From what you say, it looks like your next best choice.

polkablues

La Dolce Vita will make you love movies, the world, and life in general.
My house, my rules, my coffee

samsong

everything except its last hour-ish.  it's been a while since i've seen the movie but it entered the dubious realm of redundancy for me during its third act, but if you haven't seen it it's a must.  the majority of it is lovely, the ending especially.  the blond girl has one of the most beautiful faces ever put on screen. 

i vitelloni is amazing and inexplicably overlooked.  i'll second the juliet of the spirits rec.

Gold Trumpet

I thought of La Dolce Vita and I Vitelloni, but from what he was talking about, it seemed like Juliet of the Spirits made the most sense in what he wanted. La Dolce Vita is an epic, but it's a hollow film about a hollow culture and it doesn't have all the Fellini personality charm. You have to look at it from a different lens. In small ways, it reminds me of Satyricon. There is more structure disconnect in these two films. I Vitelloni has all the Fellini charm, but it's one of his first films. There is no style regard at all. Juliet of the Spirits just makes sense as next step and he can go find the ways to appreciate the other films as well.

Reel

So if I had to choose between La Dolce Vita and La Strada...

ElPandaRoyal

I'd say it's not a choice. Watch both. La Strada first, maybe...

Edit: with kleenex.
Si

samsong

i wouldn't say that there's no regard for style in i vitelloni so much as it is muted compared to how incredibly prevalent it is in his other work.  i can't cite anything specific as it's been forever since i last saw it but the film has an intense sense of subjective, intimate, and very personal memory, something that i think can only be conveyed through style.  the finale of the film strikes me as being fellini-esque in the traditional sense of the "word" and with how relatively austere (for fellini, anyway) the rest of the film is, it becomes pretty transcendental.     

reelist, between the two, i'd say see nights of cabiria if you haven't seen it.  it's my favorite fellini and a staple on my top five of all time.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsong on December 19, 2010, 03:23:17 PM
i wouldn't say that there's no regard for style in i vitelloni so much as it is muted compared to how incredibly prevalent it is in his other work.  i can't cite anything specific as it's been forever since i last saw it but the film has an intense sense of subjective, intimate, and very personal memory, something that i think can only be conveyed through style.  the finale of the film strikes me as being fellini-esque in the traditional sense of the "word" and with how relatively austere (for fellini, anyway) the rest of the film is, it becomes pretty transcendental.      

reelist, between the two, i'd say see nights of cabiria if you haven't seen it.  it's my favorite fellini and a staple on my top five of all time.

It has all the qualities you say which makes its structure stands out, but Fellini was paying homage to good attributes of neo-realist filmmakers. I don't credit it his with his style because the film was a beginner's work for Fellini. His writing already was unique and that helps out the structure more than anything.

But I need to see it again as well. I take my argument only that far so any rebuttal will be understood with a limited disagreement.

SiliasRuby

'I Vitelloni' (SPOILERS)

A movie I desparetely connected with being from that type of town. I felt like Moraldo when I left for college, yearning for more, wanting anything more than what Modesto, my slight small town, could offer me. I knew a lot of these type of people growing up. Watching these people were like watching my friends from high school fucking around and being way too comfortable. Its a fasciating and accurate portrayal of young people feeling disilluisioned, and probably the one of the notoble first films exploring this idea. Only to be copied many times over and over.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Reinhold

Quote from: SiliasRuby on January 13, 2011, 07:22:04 PM
'I Vitelloni' (SPOILERS)

A movie I desparetely connected with being from that type of town. I felt like Moraldo when I left for college, yearning for more, wanting anything more than what Modesto, my slight small town, could offer me. I knew a lot of these type of people growing up. Watching these people were like watching my friends from high school fucking around and being way too comfortable. Its a fasciating and accurate portrayal of young people feeling disilluisioned, and probably the one of the notoble first films exploring this idea. Only to be copied many times over and over.

very well put.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

SiliasRuby

'Roma'
I just couldn't get into this. I finished it and its completely him but it felt more meandering than usual. Its brilliant, don't get me wrong but I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. The traffic jam scene was epic though.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

I'l bidone
So many con/grifter movies have been so poorly that we sometimes forget what its like when its done well. I won't give too much away cause its a film about a bunch of cons but what I will tell you that I was sincerely surprised at the adept skill

My Collection

SiliasRuby

'Juliet of the Spirits'
Colorful and exciting-this film is now one of my favorites as far as Fellini goes. The camera moves delicately amonst the cast of characters I fell in love with. Juliet's naivety and staunch underlying sadness brings an extra later to this film that is filled mysticism and poignancy. Fellini always seemed to capture actors with such sadness splattered on their face that it is imaginable that this picture could be anyone but his.

My Collection