There Will Be Blood fan trailer I made

Started by O., September 18, 2011, 11:13:43 PM

O.

superb

Jeremy Blackman

Assuming you want constructive criticism...

It captures the broodiness of the film like the official trailers didn't. There's real depth to it.

Technically, the music gets too loud, especially at the end. And the timing of some of the cuts seems arbitrary (especially to and from Plainview's face).

O.

Thanks. I'll probably make a second draft, this took only a few hours. I agree some of the cuts aren't as ideal as I'd like.
superb

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah I think it's really close to being great if the clips of Plainview giving his monologue were tightened up, i.e. if you cut back and forth at more meaningful/rational moments... I would especially try not to cut away when his mouth moves as he's about to say something or when his head is in mid-turn.

O.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 19, 2011, 12:02:26 AM
Yeah I think it's really close to being great if the clips of Plainview giving his monologue were tightened up, i.e. if you cut back and forth at more meaningful/rational moments... I would especially try not to cut away when his mouth moves as he's about to say something or when his head is in mid-turn.

Yes, I'll look back on the footage. I struggled quite a bit keeping Henry out of the shots. Did you enjoy it emotionally, though?
superb

Jeremy Blackman

Yes! Like I was saying it captures the actual emotional sense of the film better than the official trailers.

Stefen

I thought it was great. It was simple and to the point. If I wanted it to be different, I would make my own.

Job well done.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

I think it's getting to be that time of the month again. This really sold the movie for me, I haven't seen it in awhile and it made me want to watch it again, but I'm gonna tackle his movies chronologically so I'll probably get to this sometime in October.

O.

I re-did the trailer, removed some redundant cut backs to DP and added a bit more filler. Still keeps the same feel. On top of that, I changed it so the audio should scale and not become overbearing, but only to the level at which DP's words are easily audible -- it's still slightly loud but that's deliberate. I think it's a little better:

http://vimeo.com/29295279

thx thx thx for your compliments and criticisms. I've never been a fan of conventional trailers, to the point where I don't bother to watch them if it's on a movie that's already out on DVD. There Will Be Blood's trailer, I felt, was too Hollywood for its own good and didn't compliment the kind of film it is. It's alright, but sort of a disappointment. That's what I aimed for whilst making this. If it were my choice, I wouldn't make this the release trailer, but definitely the teaser or something.

Thanks, Reelist. Glad my work could do such a thing.
superb