Why so much director reverence?

Started by Plagiarhythm, March 06, 2003, 01:56:39 PM

Plagiarhythm

i mean yeah there are many great directors out there but they aren't the only people who make films. what about writers like Charlie Kaufman, Alan Ball, David Mamet, Andrew Kevin Walker, etc? what about cinematographers like Conrad Hall, Ernest Dickerson, Robert Elswitt, Robert Yeoman, etc?  Editors like Sally Menke, Thelma Schoonmaker, Stephen Mirione?  Production designers like Wynn Thomas, Dante Ferretti, David Wasco, etc?
If it weren't for these artists the films you love and worship would not be what they are.  Give credit where credit is due.

-Craig
"There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
- Jean-Luc Godard

[Scorsese on sports] "Anything with a ball, no good."

"Anyone who has ever been privileged to direct a film also knows that, although it can be like trying to write 'War and Peace' in a bumper car in an amusement park, when you finally get it right, there are not many joys in life that can equal the feeling."
-Stanley Kubrick

Gold Trumpet

No. Even on the set of a film, the shit goes through the director before really being passed. The director is the security counsel of a film. Director has final say and gets to boss around everyone. I think a better argument can be thrown at what professions in film don't get enough respect.

Of course in my argument, there are studios and la la la, but on the set, usually the director.

~rougerum

Xixax

A good director can make a bad script watchable, but a bad director can ruin a great script.

There are others involved, but creatively the buck stops at the Director's feet. If his hands aren't tied by the producers, the Director can make or break a film.

Recognition? Absolutely. Equal recognition? Not a chance - unless maybe you're talking about the actors who at certain times can outshine bad direction.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pubrick

Quote from: Plagiarhythmi mean yeah there are many great directors out there but they aren't the only people who make films. what about writers like Charlie Kaufman, Alan Ball, David Mamet, Andrew Kevin Walker, etc? what about cinematographers like Conrad Hall, Ernest Dickerson, Robert Elswitt, Robert Yeoman, etc?  Editors like Sally Menke, Thelma Schoonmaker, Stephen Mirione?  Production designers like Wynn Thomas, Dante Ferretti, David Wasco, etc?
If it weren't for these artists the films you love and worship would not be what they are.  Give credit where credit is due.

-Craig

yeah, what about years pre-1990. and let's give credit to God and the gaffers while we're at it.
under the paving stones.

Recce

There are many different people who work on films. I think that writers, etc. should get more respect. Maybe not as much as a director, who does the actual filmmaking, but they should get more. Plus, I'm sure there are a lot of directors out there who suck and the crew are the ones who carry the film. What about editors? Sure, the director is there, but the editor still does the cutting. They should get some respect too.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Xixax

The thing that I find so interesting is that the people who have the suck jobs in film - the jobs that we all want so badly - usually hate what they do.

For example, the guys painting sets are just painters who could care less whether they're painting for a movie or painting the inside of a bank. As long as the check cashes...

I'm not in the business, but enough director commentaries lead me to believe that it ain't all glamour.

Listen to PTA's Sydney commentary. He goes back and talks to people who worked on the film, and half of them don't even remember it.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Plagiarhythmi mean yeah there are many great directors out there but they aren't the only people who make films. what about writers like Charlie Kaufman, Alan Ball, David Mamet, Andrew Kevin Walker, etc? what about cinematographers like Conrad Hall, Ernest Dickerson, Robert Elswitt, Robert Yeoman, etc?  Editors like Sally Menke, Thelma Schoonmaker, Stephen Mirione?  Production designers like Wynn Thomas, Dante Ferretti, David Wasco, etc?

-Craig

yeah but i think francis ford coppola said it best when he said "the writers, editors, and dps are great artists but i am the one that picks them for each film."
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff