INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

max from fearless

drenk > I'll put it in the spoilers thread...

P Heat

Quote from: Drenk on December 09, 2014, 05:47:36 PM
Max, could you say what shots of the new trailer are not in the movie?

LIGHT SPOILERS

Asian girl in the back seat of a car getting cunnilingus. Also, he said anything with the cult in the trailer. Being a CAN fan, I like the trailer but Damo better be getting royalties from that man. 
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

jenkins

pta appreciating qt and 35mm nerds, an instagram video i found when i searched tonight's new bev screening:

max from fearless

porgy

Quote from: Axolotl on December 10, 2014, 10:32:19 AM
This is really good

http://www.stereogum.com/1721447/jonny-greenwood-gaz-coombes-dany-goffey-spooks-feat-joanna-newsom-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Aren't there two versions in the movie?  I thought I remembered the surf-y one that hd been previously played by Radiohead being in the movie..

max from fearless

This is why I'll fuck with PTA till the very end. He's an excellent filmmaker, sure, he's friggin' incredible. But all in all, he gets down and looks out for those who feel that life is a struggle, occasionally peppered with a small victory or two, but ultimately a rough as fuck struggle, with ourselves, with our environments, with the powers that be, with our pasts and our dreams, real and actualized, with our urges and desires....It reminds me of something that Claire Denis said about fighting for her characters and giving them justice. She didn't mean justice in the traditional sense though, something more like fighting for those people, most people wouldn't fight for. Her, Cassavetes and PTA, and good ol' Marty when he loved messylostpeople back in the day, FUCK!!!!!!! I'm so fuckin' down for these guys....

Do you ever think of your films in that way, as a whole body of work with overarching themes?
Only in interviews, I do. Like now. But it's funny, things come out in the wash. Like on "The Master," the preoccupation was, "You make films about fathers and sons," and I was like, "I do? F---, I guess I do. OK, sure." I'm just so happy that I'm not hearing, "You make movies about fathers and sons" anymore. (laughs) But that's a moveable thing, you know? I never thought I'd be making a detective movie, ever. This was a way to make a Thomas Pynchon movie, and his concerns are my concerns, whether I got them from him because of his writing or whether I had them to begin with and that's why his voice speaks to me so much, but I'd like to steal from his kind of preoccupation with this country, this world, where it's at, where it's going. Republicans in power, land grabs, abuses of power. You know, all this kind of stuff that I love. That stuff gets me going. It brings out a fight in me that makes me feel good, that makes me feel righteous, I think, in a good way. And I get it from his work, from his writing. He sees the absurdity in it all, but it's not just absurd. He's pretty pissed off about it, too.

Axolotl

modage

Damn, thanks for that. It's only 2 minutes but man is it great to hear him doing commentary again. 15 years without is a long time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

max from fearless

Thanks for that. Great review. Loved it. Especially this bit:

"Like Wolfmann and Fenway, the L.A.P.D. belong to another story about Los Angeles, one that didn't need Charles Manson for a villain. It's a story that's been told in narratives about Chavez Ravine, a largely Mexican-American neighborhood demolished by the city that became the home of Dodger Stadium, and in films like Charles Burnett's "Killer of Sheep," a masterpiece about a black family in 1970s South-Central. At one point, Doc drives down to South-Central (now called South Los Angeles) and, with the camera riding alongside him, looks out at some black children racing alongside his car, an image that echoes one in Mr. Burnett's film. Soon after, Doc seems to be hallucinating a line of men — like Indians in a western — running through the flatlands like ghosts."

At odds with her problems with Shasta and Doc's big scene. Thought that was one of the best scenes in the movie. I can't wait to see this again....and boy was that good to hear him do commentary again. Jesus, has it been that long?

Pozer

that commentary bit is pretty fantastic! IF only we get the full shebang on the blu. i dont live too far away from that old hotel at the base of Lake Arrowhead, didn't clue in that that's the location they used for the looney bin till now...

cant wait for friday at the Hollywood Dome in 70mmmmmmmm

jenkins

cinerama dome but i know what you mean, since it's in hollywood. this is the future btw:

iv will be playing in 70mm on two screens, since pta is respected and taken seriously, and some people don't like the dome. and on 1 screen in 35mm because some people don't like 70mm? people like their options

it'll also be playing at the landmark and century city

and since it's 2014 and everything, iv opens today at 7pm in the dome and century city. then it plays at 7:10 at the landmark, then it plays at 8pm on the other 70mm screen, then i guess it keeps playing until, what, april. let's say iv will be in theaters until april, sounds good

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks