Joel Schumacher Pretty Much Sucks Ass

Started by Mesh, June 29, 2003, 01:39:30 PM

©brad

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: ©bradnah. old shoemaker gets a bad rap. he's better than y'all think. a time to kill was excellent.

Nah.  It was OK at best.  A few interesting moments and a hyper-hackneyed courtroom finale (I think—I've so forgotten about that movie).  Yawn.

u know what makes me yawn? u.

*cbrad yawns.

Pastor Parsley

I think he has talent but just has incredibly bad taste.  I haven't seen Phone Booth but I hear it's good.  Tigerland was a 100 minutes of utter boredom.  I walked out of both batmans to enjoy a peanut buster parfait at DQ.  Butterscotch is way better than a Joel Schumacher flick.

chainsmoking insomniac

Ouch.  

Didn't you see Falling Down??

IMO it's a small masterpiece.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Mesh

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonOuch.  

Didn't you see Falling Down??

IMO it's a small masterpiece.

It's his most original and important film, but I still don't really think it's all that great.  But I haven't seen it for at least 4 years, so I've got no business expanding on that.

Mesh

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: ©bradnah. old shoemaker gets a bad rap. he's better than y'all think. a time to kill was excellent.

Nah.  It was OK at best.  A few interesting moments and a hyper-hackneyed courtroom finale (I think—I've so forgotten about that movie).  Yawn.

u know what makes me yawn? u.

*cbrad yawns.

No need to take it personally.  ATTK is just not that outstanding.

life_boy

It's not outstanding, it just has a nice Samuel L. performance in it.

jokerspath

Quote from: life_boyIt's not outstanding, it just has a nice Samuel L. performance in it.

I enjoyed SLJ's performance in Kiss Of Death, where his charater cannot control his tear ducts and tears slip down his face at weird moments.  Really cool...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

ShanghaiOrange

If Joel Schumacher was a shoemaker, his shoes would be sold at Payless, or maybe Stride Rite.

I was under the impression that you either sucked ass or you didn't. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gold Trumpet

*Nominates this for worst thread title*

Never been to AICN, but from what other people said of that place, this thread makes me feel like I am visiting.

Disagree with his films, not him. He really is quite a generous man and has said he makes certain films only so he can make others.

~rougerum

Mesh

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet*Nominates this for worst thread title*.

What's wrong with the title?  It spells out more or less my feelings on the man's body of work.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet*Never been to AICN, but from what other people said of that place, this thread makes me feel like I am visiting. .

You feel confident enough to rip this thread on the basis of how you think something you know nothing about might suck?  Get off your high horse until you have reason to be up there.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet*Disagree with his films, not him. He really is quite a generous man and has said he makes certain films only so he can make others.

1.  I don't care if they sainted the guy, he'd still have made only 3 or 4 decent movies (to my knowledge) and that's a generous estimate.

2.  He makes certain films so he can make others, yet most of his movies are immemorable, unoriginal, characterless garbage?  So he's using garbage to finance the production of more garbage?  Great.

Keener

I love Falling Down and Tigerland. Phone Booth was enjoyable.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Comte de Saint Germain

Off my high horse? With little reason to why his movies are bad, you trashed a man in your opening thread. I trashed your thread. 1.) The title is mean spirited and high schoolish that it makes what you are just bashing the guy to bash and 2.) the fact you have no reason at all for disliking his work (no opinions on any specific), it makes your words look as a personal offense instead of a critique on his work.

Critiquing his work and saying you didn't like it is one thing. Simple sentences of "this sucked" followed by other similiar sentences is another.

Maybe I didn't explain that well enough; I just thought my AICN reference would have been enough considering I am a piss poor example of a writer and have been trying to condence my reasons to things simpler.

(And I use this name due to the fact my previous name has yet to be unbanned)

~rougerum
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

Keener

The Golden Trumpet was banned? When did that happen?
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Sleuth

Perhaps it was a parting gift from Sphinx
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs