Abandon hollywood if you're smart?

Started by mister mister, September 25, 2003, 07:28:32 AM

mister mister

I think there's some mainstream actors out there that have more potential than they're given credit for.

This is just the first I thought of, seeing someone's wonderboys avatar..

Anyway, I thought Katie Holmes was good  in The Ice Storm and Wonderboys..and Go. not brilliant, but good. But then, she puts her self through series after sickening series of dawsons creek..

can you think of any other mainstream actors that would be cool in independant type films?

Duck Sauce

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sigur Rós

Quote from: heatherAnyway, I thought Katie Holmes was good  in The Ice Storm and Wonderboys..and Go. not brilliant, but good. But then, she puts her self through series after sickening series of dawsons creek..

I agree that she's a talented actor, but she is always type casted.

aclockworkjj

She is typecasted as the cute girl next door.  I really like her...but her role in The Gift was not believable for me.  I do not see her as a naughty rich girl slut.  Thou it was nice seeing a little of her skin...

No matter what, when it come to Holmes...I see this:

MacGuffin

You're spying on her through a telescope?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

no that was me... I just sent him copies...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mister mister

I actually watched the gift yesterday for the first time, after i'd made that posted about katie. Yeah, she was weird in that.

Cate was good.. good 'ol cate.

Gold Trumpet

If you want to talk about a kick ass Hollywood movie, then I think George Clooney is the greatest thing alive now. His presence reminds me of Orson Welles and his coolness is the best going today. Thing is, I could see him playing so many other roles out there. He was the best thing in Solaris and his character in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind kept on reminding me of Orson Welle's entrance in The Third Man. I think he is the best person to affect someone right now by just looking into their face or seeing their most minor way of communicating. I am more likely to trust and be swayed by Clooney than anyone. Just this allows him a world of roles in indie world that he could dominate.

~rougerum

©brad

gold trumpet & clooney, sittin' in a tree. k-i-s-s-i-n-g...

Ghostboy

I agree about Clooney, although he reminds me more of Cary Grant than Orson Welles.

NEON MERCURY

Banky

Quote from: NEON MERCURYdenzel . washington.

always  .   plays the same  .   character

ono

Quote from: Banky

Training Day
Malcolm X
John Q
Glory
He Got Game
Mo' Better Blues
Out of Time
Antwone Fisher
Philadelphia
The Pelican Brief
The Bone Collector
The Hurricane

Oh yeah, he sure plays the same character all the time, alright.  ;)

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: Banky

Training Day
Malcolm X
John Q
Glory
He Got Game
Mo' Better Blues
Out of Time
Antwone Fisher
Philadelphia
The Pelican Brief
The Bone Collector
The Hurricane

Oh yeah, he sure plays the same character all the time, alright.  ;)

..thanks for that i agree.

and i was just answering the question:"..which mainstream actor would be cool in independant type films?"..no one can deny that he is a great actor and it would be  cool to see him in independant films..