Richard Linklater

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 06:57:47 PM

children with angels

Does no one else absolutely love Linklater? I predict split opinions on Waking Life (and let's all try to forget about The Newton Boys), but Slacker, Dazed and Confused, Before Sunrise: these are wonderful wonderful movies...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ernie

Dazed and Confused is definitely one of my favorite movies...perfect, fun summer movie.

Slacker is alright, I haven't seen the whole thing. I guess I don't like it at this point but I'd definitely give it another chance. It's very influential of course to see him making a film on such a low budget.

Those are the only 2 I've seen so far. I saw like two seconds of Tape.

Duck Sauce

Before Sunrise is a beautiful movie. I didnt like Waking Life at all though, I just got bored listening to all of it and not being able to form any connection with the characters.

snaporaz

loved slacker. dazed and confused is pretty good, yet i hate how it's alot of people's #1 all-time favourite movie. i know i shouldn't give a shit, but people who think "drug/stoner" movies are totally awesome annoy me. anyways, i didn't like waking life all that much either. pretty psuedo-intellectual, if you ask me. alot of it was just people using wierd terminology to describe really trivial things about life everyone already knows about. but i really liked tape. a nice little movie. haven't seen before sunrise, though.

my two cents.

Rudie Obias

i really like WAKING LIFE, BEFORE SUNRISE, DAZED & CONFUSED and TAPE.  for me, i don't think WAKING LIFE is psuedo intellectual becasue he actually knows what he is talking about and that's just the way linklater writes.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

BonBon85

Quote from: rudieobfor me, i don't think WAKING LIFE is psuedo intellectual becasue he actually knows what he is talking about and that's just the way linklater writes.

Actually Linklater didn't write most of it - a lot of it is improv.

What I like most about Waking Life is the animation. I've been into animation/rotoscoping for a long time (I made my first movie when I was nine - a stop motion lego animation) and it was great to see a modern animation for "grown ups." I don't think that the movie would have been all that good if it weren't for the animation, and I'd love to see it used in other movies...like mine...I'll sell my soul for the software...please...yeah, ok...

bonanzataz

Bon bon, you directed the "fell in love with a girl" video? SWEET!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

moonshiner

i loved Tape....that is how you make a film on a low budget, compelling small-scale picture, very clostrophobic, appropriate...Dazed and Confused was a very good movie, but altogether not as good as stoners would have you believe...Waking Life, from what i saw of it, was very interesting, if not only for the animation.....one more thing, is Newton Boys really that bad? it's like 6 bucks at walmart.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

budgie

I've seen Waking Life, Dazed and Slacker, and love one and three especially. I was ambivalent about D&C whilst watching it but felt by the end that that was the point, that Linklater was playing with the feeling that we should look at the culture with rosy nostalgia or a desire to laugh, but that really it wasn't all that funny. If I'm right, then I think he handled it very cleverly.

I just love the whole philosophy and pace and mood. I find his movies unique, though I've hesitated to get hold of Before Sunrise and haven't rented tape yet because I tried watching The Newton Boys on tv and gave up after about 20 mins cause it was pretty dull. So maybe he's just good at the mental thing, but a pretty poor storyteller?

Newtron

Quote from: budgieIf I'm right, then I think he handled it very cleverly.
Nah, it was about getting high.

bonanzataz

I love the way he writes. He's so good at making people sound the way they sound like in real life. Slacker I didn't think too much of at first but the more I think about it the more I realize how good it was and I want to see it again. Dazed was the first one I saw and I loved it. I thought it was so true to what high school is like, even though it takes place 25+ years before my generation. That's a movie I can watch a million times and never get sick of. Waking Life I thought was such a cool concept and great animation and interesting dialogue. I just put Before Sunrise in my netflix bin, and I'm expecting really good dialogue, which is what I like about movies. I hate when movies get too wrapped around in plot to care about the characters who are moving the plot along. I like how Linklater says fuck plot, I just want to take a look at these people.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

life_boy

Damn, it's been a long time since I've seen Dazed and I think I liked it at the time, or parts of it at least.  Newton Boys wasn't too hot, but I enjoyed the soundtrack (Bad Livers kick ass!) and I have Tape and Waking Life in my Netflix queue so I should be seeing them within in the next few weeks.

RegularKarate

I haven't seen Before Sunrise and I would definately give it a shot.

I watched D&C in high school and remember it being pretty high-school flickish.  Maybe I should watch it again sometime though.

Definately thought Slackers was pretty good.

However I just don't really like Linklater himself... he puts me off.  He helped start South By Southwest here so he gets tons of credit for that, but I really didn't like Waking Life (though the animation was great) and during the bonus material, there's this scene with him talking to the animators and he picks up this fucking cardboard box and starts talking about how great it is and that it's "found art" and it's just like "blah blah blah".

BonBon85

Quote from: RegularKarateduring the bonus material, there's this scene with him talking to the animators and he picks up this fucking cardboard box and starts talking about how great it is and that it's "found art" and it's just like "blah blah blah".

Is that really Linklater? I thought that it was one of the potential animators being interviewed. I thought the whole point of the thing was to laugh at the idiot.

children with angels

Doe anyone have any information on the new Linklater film? MacGuffin?

The Imdb page is here:http://us.imdb.com/Title?0332379

It sounds kind of strange - I feel like it could go either way...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/