The Incredibles 2

Started by Alethia, June 19, 2018, 09:25:49 AM

Alethia

Surprised there's no thread for this... Anyway go see it! I found it every bit as delightful as the first, which (incredibly) came out my junior year of high school and god damn I'm getting old. This'll put the kid back in ya for a few hours.

I'll link the trailer, I guess.

Drenk

The fact that this sequel is set a few minutes after the first one kind of destroyed all form of anticipation; I'll watch it, fine, it will probably good, but I thought I would be extatic when it would finally be real...

So much more was possible if the characters were just a few years older. I'm a fan of dad jokes when they're limitated to the tweets of Stephen King.

And I already saw that short film fourteen years ago:

Ascension.

Alexandro

It's really good although I had an issue with the script in terms of predictability. Yet thematically it all makes sense so I can let it go. It's really difficult to not have a good time with this movie. It would actually take an effort, as far as I'm concerned.

Brad Bird knows his shit.

samsong

it's fun for the most part and beautiful to look at, but i was surprised by the almost complete lack of emotional resonance, something i've always counted on from pixar.  that this is the only really surprising thing about the movie is also troubling.  it played like an extended episode of a network family sitcom with impressive set pieces (which were a little redundant, no? Runaway Transportation: The Movie).  all the jack-jack stuff stole the show. 

absolutely hated the short.

Lottery

It's not gonna be a Pixar classic (those days are long gone it seems) but it is good fun.

It's a bit choppy, it almost feels like there's scenes and lines missing. And the emotional/thematic threads don't seem to get resolved in wholly satisfying ways. They must have had mountains of material and really struggled to cut things down. The original was more complete.
That said, I don't think there were any real missteps in the story and I was smiling and laughing all the way through it.

There's this epilepsy attack inducing scene partway through the film that bothered me visually. Not because of the flashing lights but it seemed like Pixar couldn't find a way to make the scene look good, it briefly looked like a cheap daytime CGI cartoon. It's disappointing because this is a visually stunning movie and Pixar are visual problem-solvers, they can make pretty much anything look good (other CG animation houses are years behind them in this area).

Alethia

That short was shit, easily Pixar's worst.

Drenk

I haven't seen it, but I think you're forgetting Lava.

Lava was...something.
Ascension.

RegularKarate

I loved it.
Not as good as the first, but still beautiful design and action sequence.

Quote from: Lottery on June 20, 2018, 10:39:34 PM
It's not gonna be a Pixar classic (those days are long gone it seems)
CoCo is a stone cold classic

cronopio2

the first incredibles has some of the best production design and art direction in the action genre (it's my favorite pixar film), and this one has good parts of that , but it's really odd now when disney/marvel/star wars villains give a lecture on manufacturing consent.

pete

this movie was nonsense. I kinda hate children's movies where the plot revolves around the whims of PR people. there's something gross about execs so blatantly making the movies about themselves. It was the plot of Bolt and it was also the weakest part of the first Nolan Batman movie (something something PR needs therefore bat mask). I just can't imagine children or people in general giving a shit about this kinda stuff.

I cried at bao though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

wilberfan

I've been a fan of Brad Bird's animation since "Family Dog" in 1993.

I walked out of "Incredibles 2" after about 30 minutes, I was so bored.  To be fair, this may be less a reflection of Mr. Bird's skills than my utter lack of interest anymore in "superhero" movies.