INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Reel

Cloudy

Jonny Greenwood "Loop" (New Material) from last night @ Wapping Project...could guess this and the other "new material" pieces may be somehow related to IV.

Set-List:
Jonny Greenwood Prospector's Quartet (There Will Be Blood)
Purcell Fantasia a 3 in G minor, Z. 734
Edmund Finnis Sister
Jonny Greenwood Reiko (Norwegian Wood)
Jonny Greenwood Miniature (new material)
Edmund Finnis Brother
Jonny Greenwood Fight with Cudgels (new material)
Xenakis Kottos
Jonny Greenwood Prospectors Arrive (There Will Be Blood)
Parsons In Nomine III a 5
Jonny Greenwood Application 45 Version 1 (The Master)
Messiaen Vocalise-Étude
Jonny Greenwood Microtonal Sketches (new material)
Jonny Greenwood There Will Be Blood (There Will Be Blood)
Jonny Greenwood Mata Aini Kuru Kara Ne (Norwegian Wood)
J.S. Bach Cello Suite. 5 in D minor: III Courante
Jonny Greenwood Future Markets (There Will Be Blood)
Jonny Greenwood Loop (new material)
Jonny Greenwood Self Portrait with Seven Fingers (new material)
Jonny Greenwood (electric guitar / ondes Martenot / tanpura)

Lottery

Sounds fantastic. He's really taken to that Golden Les Paul, I wonder if he'll start using that as one of his main guitars for Radiohead. He's been using for about 8 years but not that prominently.

By the way, you folks should check out Edmund Finnis, he's pretty geat.

Any footage of Miniature,  Fight with Cudgels,  Microtonal Sketches, Self Portrait with Seven Fingers?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Lottery on February 24, 2014, 05:21:16 PMAny footage of Miniature,  Fight with Cudgels,  Microtonal Sketches, Self Portrait with Seven Fingers?

Or, to book readers, do any of those titles appear to reference the book? You'd think "cudgels" and "seven fingers" should be giveaways.

Lottery

I'm not sure I remember those titles from the book. But yes, titles would be the most obvious clue. I do however know that Fight with Cudgels is a Goya painting from his dying and insane period (seriously, some incredible stuff, check it out). And I just did a search and Seven Fingers is an artwork by a dude called Marc Chagall.

But yes, titles would be the most obvious clue.

Cloudy

These might have been pieces that were made parallel with the making of the IV score. Just like when JG made 48 Responses to Polymorphia/Popcorn Superhet Reciever with Penderecki before/after TWBB.

The fact that he's using his guitar and other non-western classical instruments like a Tanpur makes it seem like IV is definitely where this is going to...since guitar is essential to the story.

Btw Lottery, Edmund Finnis is great! I'm pretty sure JG and him just made a record together.

Lottery

The tanpura stuff is possibly from a commision he did for the Australian Chamber Orchestra. It's a strongly Indian influenced piece called Water.

But it hasn't been properly premiered yet, here are the upcoming performance dates:

October 26 - Melbourne, AU @ Melbourne Arts Centre
October 27 - Melbourne, AU @ Melbourne Arts Centre
October 29 - Perth, AU @ Venue TBD
November 1 - Canberra, AU @ Venue TBD
November 2 - Sydney, AU @ Sydney Opera House

So yeah, back to square one.
But you know, maybe I should go see that. That's just after my birthday, hell what if IV is playing around the same time? That would make for a great birthday.

i think everyone is hoping (new material) are from inherent vice.

N

I'm starting to get that pta excitement.
This would be an awesome score track.

modage

Release Date: December 12, 2014.

via The Internet
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

Well. Only Lovers Left Alive was at Cannes last year. I've got hopes for Cannes. (And then it's at Cannes but they don't show it at Paris and I go insane and wait for february.)
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

A source to back up modage:

Warner Bros Dates Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' For December 2014

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/inherent-vice-release-date-december-12-2014/

Paul Thomas Anderson's next film Inherent Vice has been given a plum awards-season release date. Warner Bros said today that the pic starring Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Josh Brolin, Katherine Waterston and Jena Malone will come out December 12, 2014. The adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's 2009 detective novel will be Anderson's first film since 2012′s The Master, which was nominated for three Oscars. The studio has spent the past week setting its release slate, especially for early 2015, finding spots for Man From U.N.C.L.E (January 16), Run All Night (February 6), Focus (February 27) and Get Hard (March 27).

Kellen

Awwww shit, need a trailer to drop.

Cloudy

*I'm gonna stop posting these, since we're not sure if they completely relate to IV. If you want more go to Jonny Greenwood's FB page. They have Miniature (using the Tanpura), and Microtonal Sketches up

Self-Portrait With Seven Fingers (new material) @ Wapping

Axolotl

I don't follow movie news much, but what's with the Oscar obsession in every announcement. It's like non-blockbuster movies exist solely to have a chance at winning an Oscar. Or is it just the time of the year?

If WB is hoping that this has any chance at the Oscars, they've misjudged the material.

Unless PTA moves unrecognizably far from the source material, this is going to be his weirdest movie yet.