serious fanalysis of The Master so far (CANON ONLY.. no script/spoiler talk)

Started by Pubrick, June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

quigliest

InTylerWeTrust

Yeah... But it still reminds me more of this:

Specially because PTA loves "Lost in Translation".

Change the Background from Grey to Green.... Add this Globe-looking Lamp (from Antonioni's "The Passenger", AGAIN):

and you get:

: )
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

©brad

Tyler I admire your enthusiasm and you've certainly sparked a lot of discussion which is good, but I don't understand what this laundry list of "this shot looks exactly like this" is ultimately contributing, especially given that many of these comparisons are similar only because they are so simple (a tight shot of a guy sitting in a chair will look like a lot of shots of guys in chairs from a lot of movies). I know we're all excited for the movie to come out and anxious for more news/tidbits/trailers but tirelessly dissecting a trailer frame by frame will bite you in the ass when you actually see the movie. Many of us learned that lesson the hard way with Magnolia, PDL, and especially in my case with CWBB.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: ©brad on August 15, 2012, 01:28:59 PM
Tyler I admire your enthusiasm and you've certainly sparked a lot of discussion which is good, but I don't understand what this laundry list of "this shot looks exactly like this" is ultimately contributing, especially given that many of these comparisons are similar only because they are so simple (a tight shot of a guy sitting in a chair will look like a lot of shots of guys in chairs from a lot of movies). I know we're all excited for the movie to come out and anxious for more news/tidbits/trailers but tirelessly dissecting a trailer frame by frame will bite you in the ass when you actually see the movie. Many of us learned that lesson the hard way with Magnolia, PDL, and especially in my case with CWBB.

Yeah you're absolutely right, I really do need to calm down... I've been waiting for this movie since '09 and I think now that is so close, the idea that is only one month away is is making me go a little Jack Torrance..

But I do think is a good thing to dissect movies like this, that's how you learn. I think the only problem is the movie hasn't even come out yet which might make these references a little annoying. But I'll do my best to tone it down.

On another note, a friend of mine that works at the Kendall Square Cinema in Boston emailed me that they got the new 'Master' trailer, but they're not playing it before any movies, because they "aren't allowed yet". I don't know why, I asked him, he hasn't emailed back. More on this later...

max from fearless

Tyler - Whilst it does seem a bit crazy to be breaking down a trailer, I understand your enthusiasm and I think your discussions on references and the creative process have been pretty dope. In my humble opinion, another thread on Scorsese and the likes, would be great.

InTylerWeTrust

I don't even know what to say... Is like he went to the past with a Camera and came back.

MacGuffin

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 15, 2012, 09:51:45 PM
I don't even know what to say... Is like he went to the past with a Camera and came back.

More, "is" like PTA went to the past, had John Huston shoot it, then came back with the footage as his own.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 16, 2012, 12:49:24 AM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 15, 2012, 09:51:45 PM

More, "is" like PTA went to the past, had John Huston shoot it, then came back with the footage as his own.

Is this timeholing?

InTylerWeTrust

Pubrick

i'm glad you got the reference list out of your system but try not to treat this thread like your personal blog where you just post whatever you're thinking.. this stuff about a new trailer and your friend.. who gives a shit? maybe take it to the lesser master thread that is meant for fluff and news.

i also think pointing out references and homages in films is the least important part of film analysis. it reveals very little without context. an actual analysis takes the film on its own merit. which of course we can't do just yet. but that's why the teasers were so good, they were self contained and had consistent themes with little to no plot spoilage.

it's nice to know that great directors steal bits from other movies cos it makes us think that any old idiot who's seen enough movies and hasn't a single original thought in his head could create a masterpiece if he managed to choose the right bits to cut and paste. but  this obsession with references is focussing on the wrong thing, that's not what makes PTA's films great.. it's the unparalleled originality and conceptual bravado of his films that make his work worth discussing.

does knowing that kubrick referenced a dumb picture by Diane Arbus when he conceptualised the grady twins add any meaning to the film? it doesn't add any more than was already present in the ideas established within the narrative itself through countless methods that extend far beyond quoting a fucking film. Simply looking at the dialogue in that scene tells us more.. "it's just like pictures in a book"..  in that case the echo of a real picture has some neat resonance at best but it doesn't contain the skeleton key that will unlock the film's entire meaning.

We must not confuse these great artists with someone like tarantino.. his films are of little value outside their references.
under the paving stones.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: velociraptor on August 16, 2012, 11:04:45 AM
I would say Greenwood is king of the new teaser. The score is so haunting and bizarre. The choppy cut-in of the little fiddle/flute after "we've all been in love" is startling and throws me off every time. The whole thing feels like a dream. From my perspective, it looks unlike anything PTA has done before. Surely there are reminders of TWBB and his and other filmmaker's work- but what catches my attention the most is the utter uniqueness and subtlety of it. This is my favorite piece of advertising since the first teaser.

I completely agree. It is the weirdest footage we've seen since the first teaser. Someone said the music was "distracting". Pfft, I think the music is PERFECT. It gets under your skin and totally hypnotizes you. If Greenwood doesn't win the oscar, there will be fucking blood.

Also, Joaquin shows even moooore excellent acting. That part at around 1:20 where he says "she wrote me a letter..." and then stops and subtly smiles then quietly goes "uhm.."....  WOW. 

Now waiting for more PSH.

Pubrick

i also agree. this new trailer is the best thing they've released. it's phenomenal. it's like a full length teaser if that makes any sense.

the timehole business ties in perfectly with what i've been saying about the multiple meanings of the term "master".. in this case they are once again referring to a definitive moment in time, getting to "the ground floor". in the first teaser we had the interviewer help freddie remember the truth about a past event, to remember the master version of his life.

there's more to say.. especially about the two lines "she wrote me a letter" and "she looked at me".. they encapsulate the movie for me. but who cares.. a couple of fuckos will have seen this movie in less than 12 hours!
under the paving stones.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Pubrick on August 16, 2012, 01:17:35 PM

the two lines "she wrote me a letter" and "she looked at me".. they encapsulate the movie for me.

How so?... (asking genuinely)

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on August 16, 2012, 01:17:35 PM
the timehole business ties in perfectly with what i've been saying about the multiple meanings of the term "master".. in this case they are once again referring to a definitive moment in time, getting to "the ground floor". in the first teaser we had the interviewer help freddie remember the truth about a past event, to remember the master version of his life.

:bravo:

I think you just blew the pre-analysis of this film wide open. I don't know how this meaning of the phrase "The Master" had never occurred to me, as it seems so blindingly obvious in hindsight.
My house, my rules, my coffee

InTylerWeTrust

Someone (anonymous) mentioned (at Cigsandredvines) that the music for the new teaser sounds a bit like the music in Robert Altman's "3 women"... So I checked it out..

I can hear little similarities here and there but still, Greenwood's score is just unmatchable. Though is good to see PTA possibly still has a little bit of Altman in him...