Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

coffeebeetle

Well, thanks alot.  I've already creamed my pants and I haven't even seen the fucking film.  
J/k...you're just getting me (and I'm sure alot of others) pumped up beyond...well, you get my drift.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

edison

I pretty much always hate how films are hyped way beyond the release then suck ass, but this is the one time where it is deserved and it does not suck ass.

pete

was it still really violent?

Quote from: EEz28***Possible spoilers but i will try to refrain from spoling them to you, ths film needs to be seen with as little knowledge as possible, i wish i could have go into this one cold, perhaps having only seen the trailer, but last year i read the first part of the screenplay so i had an idea of how things were going to play out as i was watching this.

Well alrighty, I just had the chance of seeing Kill Bill this morning and this film is going to make every fanboy cream in their pants, this film will be talked about for years and will be copied upon, mark my words.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, the opening title card reads and from there on it never lets up, you dont ever really have a chance to breathe, it hits you with one thing upon the next and when the final words are spoken you will wish for feb to be here tomorrow, fuck that, you will want it now!! God, i dont even really know where to begin and i really hate to say more, i really cant wait until the 10th when every single one of you will be on here and this thread will reach beyond 100 pages. But believe everything you have heard and read, this will knock you on your ass, you will cheer, maybe not outloud but to yourself you will, you are introduced to these characters so fast that you still feel for them, its hard for a movie to do this but this one pulls it off nicely, i really want to go into more but i'll stop here and just wait till everyone else sees it

P.S. Dont even bother standing up when you see Written and  Directed by QT
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

edison

Yes, it was pretty violent, esp. in Chapter 5: Showdown in House of Blue Leaves(i believe it was ch. 5), but there is one really cool part, where QT does something that if he had not have done it there is no way it would get an R rating. Now, for the guy who saw it at the Boston screening, i really want him to see it now and tell us what was different from that cut if there was anything different at all.

Ghostboy

That was Pete. Yeah, Pete, PM us (me and EZ) and tell us what the most violent aspect of the print you saw was. I'm thinking that's the same print that got an R rating...I can't imagine it being any more violent.

Also, Uma in that international poster looks more like Aimee Mann than herself.

edison

hey pete, add me to that also.

godardian

I saw this today. I just got back.

It "rocked," and I say that as both compliment and criticism. You won't be bored. Your eyes will pop with the camera and colors, your ears will hum with the noises and music . Geeks will be chortling and elbowing each other in the ribs on the half-second, what with all the wink-y little references crammed in. It's very, very impressive. I'm not quite sure if I truly like it (it seems designed to appeal to a type of person I'm not one of and not fond of, the type that makes a lot of noise in the theater and bellows, "Oh! That's gotta hurt!" during the big fight-scene moments) but I know I'm high on it right now. It's so surefooted and alive, it's hard to imagine anyone not being riveted, even if they hated it.

The anime sequence, like everything else in the film, is cool. Trouble is, it's only there to be cool. Quentin Tarantino is the coolest of the cool, but there's an extreme limitation to that. The film feels like the work of an autistic savant- brilliant but dangerously narrow.

It's a real cliffhanger,too; we're definitely not talking about two discrete entities, here. It's unequivocally incomplete.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pete

huge spoilers.  highlight the text below to see them.

okay, re: the violence thing--we're talking about the black and white right?  Yeah it was black and white for the parts I saw it too.  I just saw a lot of limbs getting severed--there was also a blacked out screen the moment Uma bit someone's tongue off and stuff.  I was probably just thinking the subtle moments may have been taken out--like the number of limbs cut maybe?  I dunno, I bet QT will talk about his struggle against the big MPAA on talk shows soon enough.  Could you see Lucy's brain when she got scalped?  How about when that chick got her limbs severed?  Or how did Go-Go die?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

All that stuff was still there, Pete! Hooray, the MPAA held no sway on this one.  Spoilers follow:

Go-Go gets a nail to the head and her eyes bleed. Lucy's scalping is in full effect, brain and all. Julie Drefuss' arm is severed and the stump gushes gratuitously. All the severed limbs are a sight to behold. The lip thing with the cut to black is there, too -- that initially led me to think that Quentin would only suggest the violence. Thank god he didn't! Also, when Oren-Shi chops off that guy's head, the blood gushes for at least thirty or forty seconds. Beautiful.

I love your review, Godardian. The best mixed review a movie could ever get.

brockly

These pics are part of the kill bill advertising campaign. found them at tarantino.info. funny shit, i love em. hopefully they'll get the film some wider recognition.

edison

Ghostboy and Pete:

Dont forget when GoGo removed the knife from that guy and his guts fell to the floor.

and Brock, ive seen those ads in the local paper here in houston: Houston Press

brockly

well for those of you who don't live in US, like me

edison

didnt mean it like that, just saying that the ads are out there generating interest is all, damn.

brockly

and i didn't mean to offend you nor did i not understand why you were mentioning you saw it. no hard feelings

edison

I mentioned it because you said "hopefully they'll (the ads) get the film some wider recognition," but i wasnt offended and now we are on the same page, so lets hold hands and skip away happily.