saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

meatball

Quote from: CinephileMemorable sketches: Prince Show.. Armisen and the tantrums. Never gets old for me.

I totally agree about the Prince tantrums. That type of humor seems to be an acquired taste. My dad thought it was stupid, but I couldn't stop laughing.

I haven't been excited about SNL for quite sometime now... I try to watch it but the cast just doesn't "Stick" with me yet...

Also I have never enjoyed Tina Fey's writing...

Please don't flame me, it's only an opinion.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Weak2ndAct

"My band started playing the wrong song, and I didn't know what to do!"  

Uh-huh.

Stefen

Anyone got a video of this? Or pics? So far I have only heard what happened, I never saw it. Was it really that bad? And hilarious?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

From Lucky Magazine interview:
LM: What are your takes on lip-synching?
AS: I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

BAHAHAH I am literally rolling right now. I wish someone had a picture of milli vanilli with simpsons face plastered on one of this bozos and the word OWNED! written beneath it. FUNNIEST THING EVER.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

My first thought was "This is gotta be a hoax" and then "Is Ashley Simpson already taking mind altering drugs this early in her carrer?".......then I thought "mmmm, mind altering drugs"
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ono

What's weird is her first song was halfway decent, didn't even seem like she was lip synching, so it was surprising to hear her audio come up and not say anything.  Then, for anyone who didn't see it, she basically does a little hoedown dance, then walks off stage as her band plays to commercial.  She comes out at the end of the show with Jude Law and says she's sorry, band played the wrong song, that's live TV!  WTF?

EDIT: I see mogwai's found a video.  Saves me the trouble.
EDIT: Those links posted don't work anymore (well, the first one anyway).  Anyone still want to see the videos?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Best of Jimmy Fallon last week.  Considering I was only one of probably three or four people that would, I didn't say anything then.  Only problem, a lot of the stuff was from the past year, and while the past year was great for me, there was a lot of stuff overlooked that they could have dug up.

As for this week: Hardball.  Incredible.  Will Forte had me in stitches as Zell Miller.

Opening monologue, it was okay.  Highlight:

LAW: Look over there.
FEY: What?
LAW: Made you look!
FEY: Haha, that's so funny.  And I'm a professional comedienne.  *sniffs him*

That, and the breaking into Hey Jude was kind of cool.

Air Commander and the Day After Yesterday was hilarious.  Loved Poehler's impression of Zeta-Jones, and the whole "The bullets are coming after you!  Pew!  Pew!  P-pew!"  Also, Forte was great here again as the monster.

Suction commode with Armisen.  Feh.  I've seen better.

Debate.  Feh.  I've seen better.  They've beaten this dead horse already.  "I like the Pottery Barn rule: you break it, you fix it."  Umm... is this a writer oversight or Kerry being stupid?  Or did the writers fuck this line up on purpose?

Paris Hilton apologizes.  She can burp her own name!  Decent.  I'm not familiiar with this little controversy of her using the n-word in a sex tape, but the idea in itself is hilarious.

Weekend Update: Babe's hooker, cool.  Poehler: THESE BANANAS ARE SO HARD TO EAT!  NEEDS STRAIGHTENING!  (Answers banana phone: Hello?)  Great.  Loved the homage to Jimmy Fallon at the end.  "You're Welcome."

Bush/Blair press conference: "Go on, tell 'em you're not coerced, T-bone."  Tee hee.  "Don't mean to embarass you, T-bone, but it's pronounced 'nu-cu-lar.'"  Double tee hee.  Law doing the Blair break-down in light of the broken links and whatnot was priceless.

Donald Trump's Halloween Apprentice commercial.  "Unlike Frankenstein, I am not afraid of fire ... ing any of them."  "I'm gonna freestyle it like I did on that Visa commercial."

Jane Eyre.  Nice use of Law's roots, but I think this one will go over a LOT of people's heads (read: the average viewer probably hasn't read the book, let alone heard of it).  Maya Rudolph was so underused tonight.  This was a subtle funny.  No one's gonna bust a gut laughing.  It's intelligent humor, the likes of which is very welcome.

I lost interest after that whole Simpson debacle.  That bear thing was silly, but I might have liked it more if I didn't view it as filler.  Seems like they played it twice (or just two different scenes) on the east coast.

The Michael Caine and Peter O'Toole sketch just made me want Chris Kattan's nightclub sketch back.  That Simpson fuck-up ruined the flow of the show, but I'm sure the sketch has its moments.  Good to see Kenan Thompson in one sketch, but the show was sorely missing Finesse Mitchell, and again, Rudolph was underused.

Next week, Kate Winslet and Eminem.  Should be an excellent episode, as long as it's not a Colin Firth type disaster -- of course, that's what I was saying about this week, and look how it turned out.  Not great, but definitely good.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ono.EDIT: Those links posted don't work anymore (well, the first one anyway).

I just did a Save Target As right now and it's still working and played fine for me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

that was my first time seeing ashley simpson since like 2000 when I saw her backing up for jessica in disney world (in which jessica winked at me--but that's another story, seriously though, she winked at me, there was a story, and a punchline, for real).  she was so hot back then, why do they dress her up like Pink Lavigne?
reminds me of that 1992 new kids on the block sketch on snl with jason prestley, in which they disputed their lip synch accusations by saying "yeah, that's because we were dancing!" "and it's wicked hahd to sing and dance at the same time."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mogwai

the look on jude law's face after ashlee blames the band is priceless.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: mogwaithe look on jude law's face after ashlee blames the band is priceless.

It reminded me of Brandt's face after Bunny Lebowski propositions the Dude.

I can't believe I missed this last night!  I was watching some Discovery Channel thing about this 5 year old boy with several pounds of tumors growing from his face.  I've been waiting to see a world-class fuck-up on SNL, but the stuff they were doing to this kid's face was just too fascinating/repulsive/fascinating again.

Thanks for making sure I didn't miss out, Mogwai.

cine

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Cinephilesimpsowned

My new wallpaper.  Thanks!