82 Obsession

Started by 82, July 13, 2003, 09:41:51 PM

Okay.. so after seeing Magnolia in the theatre, and then getting obsessed with it and then getting obsessed with finding all of the 82s, it kindof was obvious to a lot of my friends how 82 consumed my lonely pathetic life..

Now, I continually see 82 in lots of places, and my friends have even joined in in noticing it.

Now is it because im so fixated on the stupid number that I see it everywhere? or what is it?  Does anyone else notice 82 in their daily lives?

Also.. this is probably best explained by Sol Robeson from Pi:

"Hold on. You have to slow down. You're losing it. You have to take a breath. Listen to yourself. You're connecting a computer bug I had with a computer bug you might have had and some religious hogwash. You want to find the number 216 in the world, you will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out and find that thing everywhere."
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Sleuth

Yes, that is true.  You can do that with anything.  I first noticed it when I was a child (not 82, but other stuff) and it really can weird you out, but try to make it fun instead
I like to hug dogs

brockly

fulty

We've had this fun before with threads titled:

Stories of chance
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Duck Sauce

fasten seatbelts and prepare to to be redirected

Cecil

i do that too, not only with 82s.

i like pointing out "dvd" on license plates

Rudie Obias

82 is my secret number @ work so i can use my cash register.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

chainsmoking insomniac

Why doesn't someone lock this thread?  The old one is really great.  All kinds of screen grabs...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Sleuth

This isn't really about finding the 82 in Magnolia
I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I seem to see VHS everywhere...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: tremoloslothThis isn't really about finding the 82 in Magnolia
PD23 has a habit of missing the point of things..
under the paving stones.

chainsmoking insomniac

Well then it should be in Idle Chatter.

I have an obsession with the number 69...I'll start a thread in Idle... :lol:  8)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: P
Quote from: tremoloslothThis isn't really about finding the 82 in Magnolia
PD23 has a habit of missing the point of things..

P strikes again!!!!!!!

How are you?  I see you're up to your old ways.... :wink:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Pubrick

well it's true isn't it.

i told u already i only point out shit when it's true. being a fucknut for no reason is sumthing sumone like filmcritic would do. otherwise known as trolling.
under the paving stones.