Counting Crows

Started by Find Your Magali, August 22, 2003, 10:44:06 AM

NEON MERCURY

Find. your magali.

Good point.. I should not have used sell-outs.  ::waves white flag::

Find Your Magali

No problem, Neon

There are plenty of valid criticisms of the band, but I just didn't think "sellout" was one of them.

Maybe I'm too sensitive about the lads, though...

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Find Your MagaliMaybe I'm too sensitive about the lads, though...
no, no, no...you made valid points, stand to them, as it was genuwine....

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Find Your MagaliNo problem, Neon

There are plenty of valid criticisms of the band, but I just didn't think "sellout" was one of them.

Maybe I'm too sensitive about the lads, though...

nah..its just their "your band".I am the same way w/ Pearl Jam....aclockworkjj is right.. genuwine.....

Raikus

Counting Crows is one of the best American bands to surface in the 90's. Easily. They are also responsible for one of the best CD's of all time:

If you've never listened to this live compilation, do so. Then you can come back and debate whether they're "good" or not.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

moonshiner

the acoustic Storyteller's disc is a little weak, except for Round Here and Mr. Jones.....i loved the "so you wanna be a rock 'n roll star" intro.....the other disc is pretty solid, i saw that performance on MTV as well.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Find Your Magali

I love how they almost completely reinvent some of the songs for "Across a Wire." They're not simply regurgitating their album singles. They find ways to make the songs and lyrics fresh again.

I think my favorite "reinvention" from "Across a Wire" is "Have You Seen Me Lately?"

I also love the "Rock 'n' roll star..." intro for "Mr. Jones." They did that when I saw them at The Tabernacle in Atlanta in 1999, for the opener, at a time when Duritz was said to be a little tired of playing "Mr. Jones."

Find Your Magali

The latest release, "Films About Ghosts," represents ten years of hits from four extremely successful records. Tracks included are "hangin' around," "a long december," "mr. jones" and "big yellow taxi," as well as two new tracks "friend of the devil" and "she don't want nobody near."

Tracks:
angels of the silences
round here
rain king
a long december
hangin' around
mrs potter's lullaby
mr jones
recovering the satellites
american girls
big yellow taxi
omaha
friend of the devil
einstein on the beach
anna begins
holiday in spain
she don't want nobody near

neatahwanta

Best live performance on Late Night with David Letterman was when the CC's played after the Madonna meltdown.  They totally took the tension in the room and broke on thru.

blackmamba

I love this band, it's better than most of the bs out there.
The only thing I really don't like about The Counting Crows was that they did a cover of Big Yellow Taxi, originally done by Joanie Mitchell. They changed the words and the original 'mood' of the song. Which really sucked.