Great directorial debuts....

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 06, 2003, 10:39:27 PM

j_scott_stroup04

There have been some ongoing debate in a separate forum about whether or not Pi is a better debut film than Sydney, so I wanted to know other people's opinions on what they think are the greatest directorial debuts of all-time.

My list goes as follows:

1. Reservoir Dogs (Tarantino)
 2. Citizen Kane (Welles)
 3. Being John Malkovich (Jonze)
 4. Blood Simple (Coen)
 5. Hard Eight (PT Anderson)
 6. Bottle Rocket (W. Anderson)
 7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Gilliam)
 8. Fistful of Dollars (Leone)
 9. Pi (Aronofsky)
10. Evil Dead (Raimi)

honarable mentions:
american beauty (Mendes), bad taste (Jackson), the producers (Brooks), killing zoe (Avary), say anything (Crowe), Swingers (Liman), Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (Ritchie), El Mariachi (Rodriguez), and Clerks (Smith)

I'm sure Eraserhead by Lynch, Drugstore Cowboy by Van Sant, and Sex, Lies, and Videotape by Soderbergh would be on their too, but unfortunately I haven't had the privelage to see any of those three.

I'm sure I'm gonna get a shitload of complaints, suggestions, and what not, but that's expected whenever lists are involved.  So feel free to say what you feel, I won't take it personally.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

ono

Good topic.  My top ten debut films:

Paul Thomas Anderson - Hard Eight
Terrence Malick - Badlands
Joel and Ethan Coen - Blood Simple.
Orson Welles - Citizen Kane
Richard Kelly - Donnie Darko
Sam Mendes - American Beauty
Steven Soderbergh - sex, lies, and videotape
Kevin Smith - Clerks.
Spike Jonze - Being John Malkovich
Darren Aronofsky - Pi

American Beauty is one of my favorite films ever, as is Donnie Darko.  Still, though, as debuts, they don't really smack too much of auteurism.  Kelly hasn't made another film so it's yet to be seen just how good he is.  And Mendes's Road to Perdition was an okay film, definitely beautiful, but a bit underwhelming.  And it did have shades of auteurism, but I'd like to see a third film before making a judgment.

Badlands was amazing, and it sucks, sucks, sucks that Malick is so inactive.  Hopefully that will change after he gets that Che Guevara biopic finished.

Hard Eight is just beautiful.  I love it probably just as much as all of Anderson's other films, and I've seen it so many times because of the invaluable commentary and the ease of getting through the film casually.  Plus, it just gets better and better as a film each time I view it.

Blood Simple. shows the power the Coens had to do something simple, and thrilling, and silent, with minimal dialogue and no real heroes.  It's a shame they've crept away from this style of film, and I'm finding it harder and harder to take them seriously as auteurs because everything they do is so tongue in cheek, but still, The Big Lebowski is a masterpiece and one of the most consistently funny movies ever made.  You obviously aren't a golfer.

sex, lies, and videotape is flooring.  And because of it, I wish I could see more of Soderbergh's work.  The Limey, Schizopolis, Full Frontal, and Traffic are all on my must-see list.

Kane is Kane.  'Nuff said.

Clerks., Being John Malkovich, and Pi are all admirable first efforts, but nothing incredibly amazing.  Clerks is profane and quirky.  Being John Malkovich falls apart at the end.  That much everyone knows.  But that's more a script's shortcoming than Jonze's.  Pi tries to be smarter than it usually is, attempting to dazzle its audience with fuzzy math and logic and an ending that really doesn't make too much sense.  All the while, the filmmaker is missing what makes the material compelling: the protagonist's reclusiveness and his relationship with the world around him, and the woman who he keeps on avoiding, for one.

Banky

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
sex, lies, and videotape is flooring.  And because of it, I wish I could see more of Soderbergh's work.  The Limey, Schizopolis, Full Frontal, and Traffic are all on my must-see list.

If you're anything like me, you'll find that while his other work is varying degrees of worthwhile, none of it touches sex, lies, and videotape, which is a movie I really love.

I consider Todd Haynes's directorial debut, Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story, in which all characters are "played" by Barbie dolls, noteworthy.

Drugstore Cowboy wasn't van Sant's first film; that's Mala Noche, from 1986.

I think Diva is a rather prodigous debut in many ways...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

some more off the top of my head.

Godard's Breathless
Truffaut's The 400 Blows
David Gordon Green's George Washington
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

phil marlowe

eraserhead
the element of crime (really good and underrated movie, everyone should see it.)
badlands

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: CinephileMarc Forster's "Monster's Ball"
His first film was "Everything Put Together."  It's a wonderfully creepy film that is very much in the tone of Polanski's "Repulsion."  Definitely worth checking out.

cine

Wow, thanks. I wonder why the hell I thought it was his first film.  :?

Chest Rockwell

Being John Malkovich (Jonze)
Sydney/Hard Eight (PT Anderson)
I Stand Alone (Noe)
Mean Streets (Scorsese, I think this was his first.....maybe not)
Bottle Rocket (Wes Anderson)
Sex, Lies, and Videotape (Soderbergh)
Pi (Aronofsky)
Eraserhead (Lynch)
American Beauty (Mendes)
Blood Simple (Coens)
Reservoir Dogs (Tarantino)
Crumb (Zwigoff...once again I'm not sure if this is his first)
Citizen Kane (Welles, if it's his first)
Strictly Ballroom (Luhrman....I guess this is good...I guess)
The Deullists (Scott...another I guess)

Whatever, that's my list, if it means anything

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

phil marlowe

bob roberts deserves mention also i think.

and bad taste.

rustinglass

remember dolly bell
blood simple
kane
violent cop
reservoir dogs
the element of crime
bottle rocket
fucking amal
eraserhead
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?