Evil Dead (2013)

Started by MacGuffin, July 13, 2011, 08:41:31 PM

gross. i didnt really expect it to be good but i was kind of hoping it would at least be fun. ill take my chances i guess.

Neil

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 26, 2013, 08:46:32 PM
Quote from: 03 on April 24, 2013, 03:17:28 PM
so was this good? don't lie.

No.

The only good that might come from this is that it might cue a wave of horror movies that move back into being gory and not so watered down, but it takes more than that to make a good movie.

This was a series of pretty boring shock scares mixed with awful dialog and really forced nods to the original. Like, you know... a remake.

right, because gore is the most important element of the genre that really needs a revival.  yep.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2013, 11:13:04 AM
right, because gore is the most important element of the genre that really needs a revival.  yep.

When did I say that? I even said that it's not.

Neil

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 28, 2013, 11:24:39 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2013, 11:13:04 AM

When did I say that? I even said that it's not.

The only good that might come from this is that it might cue a wave of horror movies that move BACK into being gory and not so watered down

RegularKarate

The only good that might come from this is that it might cue a wave of horror movies that move back into being gory and not so watered down, but it takes more than that to make a good movie.

Reel

I could listen to you guys argue all day.

Neil

Right RK, definitely read that the first time, and I'll say that what you chose to make bold this go 'round is a blatantly obvious fact of about making any kind of movie, which is why i didn't feel it necessary to include or comment on.

maybe our definitions of the word, "gore" is worth discussing, for instance what imagery is useful in driving the plot, but that seems unlikely to happen.

Anyhow, if there is a, "wave of horror movies that move into being gory and not watered down," which is all I was commenting on, then count me out, just like you can count me out of this useless cash grab of a film.

RegularKarate

This is a dead discussion and I hate to seem like I'm trying to beat a dead horse, but to clarify, I never said or meant that gore is the only thing lacking in modern horror. I just mean that a lot of the horror movies being cranked out these days are really toothless and since part of horror is making people scared or at least uncomfortable, gore can be useful.

That dead horse is looking pretty gory.

ElPandaRoyal

I'm with RegularKarate here. I hate it when I'm watching a movie about extremely violent villains and then they're so watered down we never get to see that. I'm all for suggesting violence instead of showing, but a lot of modern horror movies don't do that with suggestion in mind. They do that because they want the PG-13 or whatever, and so they randomly cut away from gore just because of that. Gore or no gore, you still need much more to make a horror film successful, but if the only reason you're gonna cut away from blood and guts is out of fear of the MPAA, then that's bullshit.
Si

so i took my girlfriend to this last night for her birthday after we ate at like three different restaurants. curb jokes were made. this was not nearly as bad as some have made it sound.

SPOILERS

i thought the switching of the protagonist randomly at the end was actually really cool and interesting. the chainsaw shot was absolutely beautiful. i thought this was a very fun horror movie. if anything, it didn't go as over the top as it should have. i wanted more cheesiness, the performances took themselves a little too seriously, almost as if the actors were trying to make it a good movie when they just should have embraced the stereotypes i.e. cabin in the woods. did anyone stay for the bruce campbell cameo?

polkablues

Someday I'll have time to go to the theater again and I'll finally watch this and lay down the definitive opinion on it. Until then, it exists as a perfect artifact in my mind, unsullied by the dust of reality. FOUR HYPOTHETICAL STARS.
My house, my rules, my coffee