in this thread i will rate your avatar

Started by sickfins, March 03, 2004, 10:19:07 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: PubrickFamily Guy is "standing on the shoulders of giants". the things that it takes for granted were created by the simpsons. do u realise that the first 3 seasons of the simps, now completely tame at best, were actually controversial at the time? there is a severe lack of awareness of context here.

Futurama is the only cartoon, that understood intimately what the simpsons did and was trying to do sumthing NEW with the possibilities. and it's not like the best simps seasons (4 to 8.) are so out of date that they are the Citizen Kane of cartoons. they broke every old rule and established a genius set of new ones which family guy is only marginally taking advantage of. i still watch family guy, cos it has its moments, but i would never quote it or refer to it in my daily life.

the only reason family guy is so popular is the word of mouth created by 15-17yr olds. they ignored futurama cos it was touted as a "sequel" to the simpsons, which was in its decline when family guy started anyway.
Quote from: Pubricki think everyone who is in love with Family Guy, only feels that way because they were too late to catch the simpsons in their prime. a fairer comparison for current animation would be Futurama, i speak as someone who has seen all the cartoons in question and does not resent the 90s.. i challenge u to find me a family guy episode that is as profound as (futurama episodes) Godfellas, Time Keeps on Slipping, Jurassic Bark, The Sting, and the series conclusion The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. in just those 5 episodes futurama packed more urgent unviersal content than family guy has in its several forgettable seasons. and i don't even need to mention Last Exit to Springfield (if u want political relevance), Bart Sells His Soul  and The Mysterious Voyage of Homer (for spiritual guidance).. i can go on.

family guy fans are consitstently less informed on their "rival" shows, and a bit late on the knowledge train, quite frankly.
Quote from: Pubrickfamily guy is alright, but not as good as Futurama, which is almost as good as the simpsons seasons 4 to 8, which is to say it's great.
and a new quote for the canon: family guy is a collection of hit-and-miss gags, it doesn't hav characters with any purpose other than to hang the next joke off. it has its moments, but there's no reason to watch a whole episode. and since i'm not just making shit up, i can say with total conviction that it started out alrite, and then quickly devolved into this ADD-addled "every joke to the EXTREME!!!!!" steez. which is fine.. if ur 12.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrickit doesn't hav characters with any purpose other than to hang the next joke off. it has its moments, but there's no reason to watch a whole episode.
What's wrong with that?

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: PubrickFamily Guy is "standing on the shoulders of giants". the things that it takes for granted were created by the simpsons. do u realise that the first 3 seasons of the simps, now completely tame at best, were actually controversial at the time? there is a severe lack of awareness of context here.

Futurama is the only cartoon, that understood intimately what the simpsons did and was trying to do sumthing NEW with the possibilities. and it's not like the best simps seasons (4 to 8.) are so out of date that they are the Citizen Kane of cartoons. they broke every old rule and established a genius set of new ones which family guy is only marginally taking advantage of. i still watch family guy, cos it has its moments, but i would never quote it or refer to it in my daily life.

the only reason family guy is so popular is the word of mouth created by 15-17yr olds. they ignored futurama cos it was touted as a "sequel" to the simpsons, which was in its decline when family guy started anyway.
Quote from: Pubricki think everyone who is in love with Family Guy, only feels that way because they were too late to catch the simpsons in their prime. a fairer comparison for current animation would be Futurama, i speak as someone who has seen all the cartoons in question and does not resent the 90s.. i challenge u to find me a family guy episode that is as profound as (futurama episodes) Godfellas, Time Keeps on Slipping, Jurassic Bark, The Sting, and the series conclusion The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. in just those 5 episodes futurama packed more urgent unviersal content than family guy has in its several forgettable seasons. and i don't even need to mention Last Exit to Springfield (if u want political relevance), Bart Sells His Soul  and The Mysterious Voyage of Homer (for spiritual guidance).. i can go on.

family guy fans are consitstently less informed on their "rival" shows, and a bit late on the knowledge train, quite frankly.
Quote from: Pubrickfamily guy is alright, but not as good as Futurama, which is almost as good as the simpsons seasons 4 to 8, which is to say it's great.
and a new quote for the canon: family guy is a collection of hit-and-miss gags, it doesn't hav characters with any purpose other than to hang the next joke off. it has its moments, but there's no reason to watch a whole episode. and since i'm not just making shit up, i can say with total conviction that it started out alrite, and then quickly devolved into this ADD-addled "every joke to the EXTREME!!!!!" steez. which is fine.. if ur 12.

There is so much agreeance coming from my end here, it's bordering on love.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Opinions, schmopinions.  I've watched The Simpsons on and off for several years.  Never enough to become a freak about it or anything, but enough to appreciate it.  But Family Guy is so much more than a cartoon with characters to hang sight gags off of.  It's got your social commentary, too.  And now that it's got a chance to come back later on this year, it is going to be better than ever.  Remember, you're comparing a show which only had three seasons to one that's had, what is it now, fifteen?  But The Critic is the unsung hero here.  Though it didn't concentrate on social commentary (really wasn't meant to as its targets were mostly film and celebrity related).  It was also way too controversial a show for its time, something that ABC really had a hard time dealing with, especially for a show that was a lead-in for Home Improvement.  It paved the way for shows like Family Guy ESPECIALLY.  It was way ahead of its time as far as sight gags and running gags and the like were concerned.  But also, as Ravi said, all of this tied into the plot, even though there were times you'd forget how or why you got from one place to the next.  Still, that randomness is part of the charm of the show.  Not to mention the great musical numbers, something which Family Guy has also learned a thing or two from with some great numbers of its own.

For me, The Critic > Family Guy > Futurama ... but all of them have their moments.  As for people (me) loving Family Guy because I didn't catch The Simpsons in its prime, I'd have to say "nah."  I'll give The Simpsons its prime.  It's definintely due that because of how consistently funny it's been.  It's probably like the Flintstones of our time.  But it's because I saw flashes of the brilliance of The Critic that I wanted to relive again.  No 15-17-year-old could convince me of that, 'cause they were probably 10-12 when The Critic was on, and most of them wouldn't get ANY of the jokes.  You shout out at random, "MEET INGMAR BERGMAN: $.25!" and all you get from them is a bunch of stares and a few quiet "Who?"s  I sigh along with the farmer as he tells Ingmar, "Best get back to the peanut patch with Polanski and Bertolucci."

I don't claim to know a lot about The Simpsons.  Just enough compared to the average viewer.  Nor do I consider any of these shows "rivals."  They all do their own thing and do it well, but they're never really competing with each other.  I do know that Futurama is probably the most mature of these shows to come along, picking up on excellent social commentaries where The Simpsons has dropped the ball.

I think what sold me on the brilliance of Family Guy, though, was one line from the pilot: "Hey man, your clock won't flush!"  The whole bachelor party scene was really brilliant, though.  (Peter, referring to the Statue of Liberty).  "Here's an idea, boys.  We'll drink until she's hot!" Then afterwards, Peter is hung over, laying on the kitchen table:

LOIS: Peter, what did you promise me you wouldn't do?
PETER: Drink at the stag party.
LOIS: And what did you do?
PETER: Drank at the sta-- whoa-ho!  You almost got me there!

Pas

What is the Critic ? Does it still air ? Never heard of it here  :|

Pubrick

i guess i want more from a cartoon than movie references and one-joke wonders.
under the paving stones.

ono

"i guess i want more from a cartoon than overdone catch-phrases."  You know just as well as I do that these shows can't simply be broken down to those elements.  They're more complex than that, just as The Simpsons, of course, is more than its catch-phrases.

The Critic aired on ABC and FOX from '94-'95, then was cancelled, then aired on Comedy Central for a long time up until now, mostly on late Sunday night, early Monday morning type time slots.  It is now on DVD in the US. It also had a series of Internet shorts which aired in 2000.  Those are included in the DVD set.

SoNowThen

Simpsons, Looney Tunes = top tier cartoons

All the rest pale in comparison. Unless we're talking about South Park, but that's a different beast.

Let's face it, Family Guy is overrated. Yes, parts are hilarious, but it's mostly fishing for a wild laugh among long pauses of total blah. It's less consistent than SNL even.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

South Park really started to suck again at the end of last season, but its first new episode that aired this past Wednesday was inspired.  I just simply don't see the inconsistency in Family Guy that everyone else keeps harping on.  I guess that's because I've watched Family Guy so many times, and every time I step away from it for a few months then pull it back off the shelf and watch it again, it remains just as funny and consistent as ever.

And SNL, not that that has anything to do with anything, has been at the top of its game this year.  It's got a great cast, great writing, and even though Lorne's chosen less-than-stellar guests, they've all (except for Al Sharpton) been able to pull their own weight.

Pas

I prefer Family Guy to the Simpsons ... unless stoned/drunk, then The Simpsons is the thing to watch. No doubt about it.

cine

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd SNL, not that that has anything to do with anything, has been at the top of its game this year.  It's got a great cast, great writing, and even though Lorne's chosen less-than-stellar guests, they've ALL been able to pull their own weight.
Yes, I agree with this 100%. I think we're in the minority here though which is dreadfully unfortunate.

panthera_tigris

I didn't realize that my avatar would have started such a thread. I agree with Onomatopoeia and that Family Guy is quite consistent when you don't watch it for a little while. I was and still somewhat am a huge Simpsons fan, having seen almost every episode and still loving the reruns. I also loved The Critic. It was hilarious and I was quite sad when it was cancelled. Futurama is also just as funny. I actually don't see much difference in the structure of those shows, they are just there to make us laugh with witty humor and if you don't like it..change the channel eh.
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown;
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice.
- Merchant of Venice: Act 4

Pubrick

"when u do things right, ppl won't be sure u've done anything at all"
-Godfellas. aka, the central paradox of everything anyone has ever said or done in the history of the world. (NOT found in family guy/the critic)

consider those my final words on the matter, after years of discussion. bye.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: panthera_tigrisI didn't realize that my avatar would have started such a thread.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Xixax.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

My current avatar is a still from the legendary karatee-film "Anger of the Dragon" by Phil Marlowe and Sigur Rós.

Btw. Phil is the evil villain on the avatar.