M. Night Shyamalan

Started by Xeditor, January 19, 2003, 10:35:37 PM

Kumar

If it makes you feel any better, I didnt mind Unbreakable.
When the going gets werid, the werid turn pro.

Xeditor

Also, M. did not just come up w/ the water thing.  That is what many alien "nerds" actually believe.  He tried to put all of the superstition of aliens and crop circles together to make everyone happy.  If you noticed, in the movie they talk about the crop circles being possibly alien made plus the whole thing about 3 guys, some rope, and a board.  The movie really was not about whether aliens were real or not.  Hell it really had nothing to do at all w/ crop circles either....i mean they only showed like one in the whole movie.  It was about seeing the "signs" in life and using them later.  "Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Jon

The first time, in the theater, I was amazed.

A lot of emotion, etc.

At home, you can totally see exactly what he was trying to do, that's a bad thing, of course.

UglyApe

I respect a man who can consistantly make original films.   He made a film about fate through the device of aliens coming to earth.   And he did it well.   He's a talented writer/director.
I AM the Pumpkin King!

xerxes

hey it's "obsesses over screenplay format" man...

only joking...

nice to see you again man

Pedro

I think he's damn good personally, with my favorite of his being Unbreakable.

Sleuth

I agree with you this time Pedro.
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

I enjoy M Night's films, but I'm not a huge fan of him.  I do appreciate that he is one of the new breed of long take directors (Wes, PTA, Spike Jonze, Tarantino, etc).  I've never seen any of his films more than once, but I did enjoy them.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ernie

I like his movies a lot and I think he seems like a really cool guy. My aunt and uncle live right near him in Philadelphia...I've seen his house. I hope to meet him someday.

Ghostboy

I think he's really talented and unfortunately really full of himself. In interviews, he sounds like he thinks he'd God's gift to cinema.

NONETHELESS...

I think Signs is a masterpiece of sequential storytelling. You could take all the dialogue out of the movie and you'd still be able to follow it to a T. Visually, it's a perfect movie. I won't get in to all the logistical problems of the story, since there are plenty.

SHAFTR

Give me The Birds over Signs anyday.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UglyApe

Any man who uses Tak Fujimoto as DP is cool in my book.
I AM the Pumpkin King!

Rudie Obias

even on THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE and GRUMPIER OLD MEN?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Bud_Clay

i actually really hate m. night....i think he rather sucks. unbreakable was one of the honest to god worst movies i've ever seen... m. night doesnt seem able to stray from the exact same plot of every movie he writes...  and as if that's not enough m. night spawned a wretched stereotype for holllywood films to now consist of in every horror flick: a little child who sees and draws the darkness that grown ups are unable to notice.

i damn him to hell for that.

UglyApe

Hells YEAH.   Fujimoto's the man (next to Elswit).   Actually, this was meant to on the M. Night Shyamalan thread.   I clicked New Post instead of Reply.   D'oh.
I AM the Pumpkin King!