VHS is the BEST!!!

Started by Reel, November 29, 2013, 02:57:58 PM

chimbo

Quote from: Lottery on December 23, 2013, 12:37:12 AM
"The movie is a sequel to 1984's Angel and was followed by the 1988 film Angel III: The Final Chapter and Angel 4: Undercover."

Ha, that must be embarrassing. I mean besides making them to begin with and so on. Though I feel naming sequels maybe wasn't a concern for them.

That's the magic of the 80s?  :)
白い目覚め

Reel

Quote from: chimbo on December 23, 2013, 12:20:31 AM
Quote from: Reelist on November 29, 2013, 02:57:58 PM

Blind buys that should be a delight

Avenging Angel, my god that brought back some memories. I remember loving the first movie which is just called Angel. This is the sequel to that but didn't live up to it, although most ppl would consider the first one a bad movie to begin with. They made another one after this (in the 90s?) which I never got a chance to see.

Yeah, I gotta find Angel and check it out before I watch this one. Plus the tape is broken, but it should be an easy fix. Anyways, this page is looking a little...empty

so...Candy Mountain, I thought that was Kevin Connolly in the lead role, Johnny Drama from 'Entourage', so I thought "Oh, this is gonna be terrible!" Turns out it's my home dog Kevin J. O'Connor of PTA fame. It's a really good road movie and the coolest surprise I've had in awhile. I dug Smooth Talk, but I was just staring at Laura Dern the whole time so I don't remember what it's about. The Entity is the best horror movie I've seen recently, it's like an adult version of Poltergeist that came out the same year. This movie and Shy People alone make Barbara Hershey one of my favorite actresses. Anguish, that's the little Poltergeist lady on the cover, haven't watched it but I'm positive it will creep me out! Like I said in the shout box, I always underestimated Wishmaster to be shitty, but it kicked so much ass! I wasn't expecting to see such grisly gore effects in a mid 90's horror movie, it's got an interesting story too, I'm looking forward to the sequel.
The rest I can't tell you about, even though I did watch Neighbors, which was so wacky that I had no idea what was going on by the end. Glad to have it as it's John Belushi's last movie. If you look really close on that one there's a clue to where I find most of my tapes.

i have that same version of house of games. neighbors is fantastic, so is anguish.

tpfkabi

I bought the Warner Bros Archive DVD of Neighbors not too long ago.
Never heard of Anguish, but I recognize Zelda Rubenstein from the Poltergeist series. The Plot description on Wikipedia sounds completely nuts.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

aight. so i've been frustrated with this thread because i haven't had access to my collection, it's in a storage shed temporarily, and i have a strong passion for vhs, a very long ongoing romance with it since i was a kid. around the time dvds came out, i started going to movie rental places everywhere trying to buy their vhs from them. i traded and hunted around to find the best. i spent ridiculous amounts of money on shit i shouldnt have, and sold it for worse oftentimes. you're doing quite excellent with your finds, because these are different times i guess, i dont know. anyway, i was able to get a couple horrible pictures of some of my remaining prized possessions when i ventured out last night. these were the ones easiest to get to but i'll post more later when i go out there again.

hotel room miniseries - lynch
wild at heart - lynch
after hours - scorsese
bring me the head of alfredo garcia - peckinpah
l'amour l'apres midi - rohmer
santa sangre - jodorowsky
my right shoe
-

spirit of the beehive - erice
hail mary - godard
woodstock - wadleigh
small change - truffaut
brewster mccloud - altman
delicatessen - jeunet & caro

Reel

Cool! Thanks for posting. I was getting discouraged that no one was showing me theirs. Never saw Hotel Room, would you recommend it? I wish I owned some Rohmer, specifically Boyfriends & Girlfriends. That's how I was introduced to him on a rented VHS and none of his other films I've seen have quite lived up to it. I can't believe you found that super rare My Left Foot sequel! People are asking almost a grand for that on Ebay. I'm not familiar with anything in the bottom picture, so no comment.

I've found some good ones over the past few weeks that I'm particularly excited about watching, but I got so much stuff for christmas I've been meaning to see ( The Wire box set, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Alfred Hitchcock Collection, Pyscho 1-4 ) that I've hardly gotten to any of these! These first 3 should be obscure enough to raise your interest. They're all covers I spotted in other people's collections and thought "I WANT THAT!!"

Fade To Black caught my eye because I'm really into movies about cinephiles. It's starring Dennis Christopher, who played Leo's right hand man in Django. I guess he's really proud of it because he RT'ed my tweet @ somebody saying "This looks right up my alley." The woman who played Sheeba Rt'ed me too...No explanation for that. People seem to like it. Any of you familiar?

I feel like I'd be doing a disservice to not show you the description on the back of 'The Pit'

Whatley Copse?

New York Ripper was looking lonely on my shelf so I gave him some friends

I really enjoy these. I didn't expect Class Reunion to be a horror spoof, and it's one of the most ridiculous I've seen! Never knew National Lampoon took a stab at that. 

Rolling Thunder is like the perfect revenge movie. The story is cut and dry, and yet the way it ends so abruptly always makes me feel like I missed something. Am I alone on this?  As someone who loves Taxi Driver I feel like I should be more familiar with it.

I know, Friday The 13th part 4, big whoop. Well, that's kind of the point. This was the first Rated R movie I managed to sneak past my mom at the blockbuster counter, at a young 5 years old. I remember thinking that the violence was real, and that people who starred in horror movies were just like suicide cases or criminals who had to end their lives so they volunteered to do it in a cool way. Heady concept for a kid that age, but I thought it was true! I look forward to rewatching and thinking about how my small brain processed it back then.

Here are some that I'm proud of finding because I'd never heard of any of them and they all seem interesting. Any of you seen these? Dark Of The Night is a New Zealand flick, N.

Cool covers...Movies notsomuch

and lastly...my favorite christmas present of 2013.

This will allow me to take clips of some of these to post here! Possibly do other things.. :wink:  Most importantly, I'll finally get to transfer all our home videos. It's taken me forever to get around to that.

Ghostboy

I saw THE PIT multiple times on TV when I was a kid and always found it really disturbing. It has a killer kid, an evil bear, a monster in a pit AND a ghost, which was what always scared me the most.

tpfkabi

NL's Class Reunion was supposedly written by John Hughes. I have wanted to see it, but I think the DVD is OOP.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

I broke down and bought a nice Sony VCR after not having any luck at the thrift stores, but ever since I put in this super old copy of Alice In Wonderland, it spits the tapes out in a toe-breaking fashion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5LM5ajd_wI&list=HL1398377711

I'm not asking for any help, I just think it's funny.

holy shit! lol thats awesome, ive never seen that happen before

N

Dude I think you got Wallace and Gromit's VCR.

Lottery

I know Reelist's hands look like. Oh baby.

Anyway, this is pretty cool and somewhat relevant. At about 1:45.

I loved that aged aesthetic to things. Before this game was announced, there was another one called Routine which embraced the future-obselete style.

I just fucking love that sort of thing. Boards of Canada's most recent album had a very similar sort of feel to it. A retro, analogue-feel but with a bleak futuristic element.

That intro tune and old arpeggiated synths, bloody awesome. The video is fitting too. I should have created a separate thread, for this but whatever. It's retrofuturism but more embedded in the 70s and 80s rather 50s and 60s (optimistic clean scifi sort of thing).