These Korean Flicks

Started by Gamblour., April 22, 2005, 01:36:38 PM

Gamblour.

Ok, so there's been a large output of Korean movies lately, or so I've read. It's hard to find a list dedicated to these, so let's list them. Also, let's list Korean filmmakers. I know you Asians have a different surname order, so tell me if I get these wrong..

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - by Kim Ki-duk
Save the Green Planet - by Jeong Jun-hwan
Oldboy - by Chan-wook Park

Also, are there any stylistic trends throughout all of these?
WWPTAD?

meatball

Quote from: Gamblor HatesMySpaceandUI know you Asians have a different surname order, so tell me if I get these wrong..

Everyone here but you is Asian?

pete

dude, what's up with meatball being so cool these days?
there are stylistic trends going on in Korea right now, just as there are stylistic trends going on with the rest of the world, but have you seen these movies?  I find it very hard to correlate any type of trend between Spring Summer and Oldboy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

I've only seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring.

Ok, so not stylistic, but maybe thematic? Perhaps dealing with buddhism or their communist brothers up north? I'm just throwing it out there, I don't know that's why I asked.

Do you have any contemporary Korean flicks to add to this list? I'd like to get one going, maybe add some that are earlier than 2003.

Quote from: MeatballEveryone here but you is Asian?

I thought "xixax" was an Asian word? And a lot of people on here speak Asian.
WWPTAD?

Rudie Obias

i'm asian!  filipino american to be exact....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

2 of my cousins are half-korean.  i'm down.  :yabbse-cool:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

last year there was Once Upon a Time in a High School that's really supposed to be something, along with Spin Kick (I always hear those two movies in pairs), but that kind of movie will never make it here in the US 'cause they're not extreme or zany or slow.
check out My Sassy     .  It was like the biggest Korean hit ever once upon a time.  It's something quite studio-esque but at the same time very personal and very "korean".  check it out.  It's what all romance comedies aspire to be.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

is bad guy any good? also, which of these two posters is the non-photoshopped one..

under the paving stones.

mogwai

that's easy, the left one.

dufresne

tae guk gi: the brotherhood of war

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

it's been billed as a Korean 'Saving Private Ryan' but i think it's an unfair comparison.

There are shadows in life, baby.