not the most popular thread anymore, donnie darko and homos.

Started by SubstanceD, February 18, 2003, 07:02:07 PM

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffinOh, I didn't know turning a leaf blower in a girl's face in slow motion was a character introduction.

You could have cut out these shots and not lost a thing.

actually, you needed this scene to show the relationship between the father and the children.  besides frank dropped her off @ home @ the beginning of the movie.  again, kelly introduces donnie's family and frank in one short scene.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

RegularKarate

I don't think Donnie Darko is overrated.  Maybe by some members on this board, but seriously, there aren't that many people who have even heard of this film.

I think it definately had flaws, but I feel it's a great first film and shows promise for sure.

As far as Usual Suspects being a garbage film... no... it was a bad screenplay that got turned into a good flick.  Well acted and full of little subtlties that make it better to watch for multiple viewings.

And Singer didn't "ruin" X-Men, that's Marvel's worst comic... the most soap opera of them all... just crap and Singer made it look good.  I didn't really like it that much, but it had a good look and the sequel looks slightly promising as far as comic book flicks go.

Cecil

Quote from: RegularKarateX-Men, that's Marvel's worst comic... the most soap opera of them all... just crap

have you ever read the classic issues or the modern stuff?

RegularKarate

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: RegularKarateX-Men, that's Marvel's worst comic... the most soap opera of them all... just crap

have you ever read the classic issues or the modern stuff?

Read both... I was a comic book geek in my younger days... always really disliked Marvel... prefered DC and Darkhorse.  I got over my problems with Marvel in general and started to appreciate certain titles, but never liked X-Men, especially once it branched off into a different universes (of course, now that's what they all do)

picolas

to me, donnie darko is one of the few movies that ever delivered on an insane promise. i watched the trailer. i got addicted. i had to wait months to see it and every day the hype just kept on growing for me. when it finally came to Canada, i rented it and i bought it the next day. it was everything i had hoped for and more. Frank as an image is something i doubt will ever fade from my memory. i'm with Xixax all da way on this one.

SubstanceD

Maybe I should clarify cause I get carried away sometimes when I write these things. I don't neccesarily Think Donnie Darko is Garbage.  Really I just think Richard Kelly should have just shut up and never tried to explain what happens in the movie because it warped my view of it so much. A fine editing job. But seriously the more you watch don't tell me you all don't find that it's lacks reason.

As IN:

The Whole Grandma Death bit. Come on. Why build her up and then plut.

I don't know a few other things.

I really want to like it though. I do. The actors are great.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarateI don't think Donnie Darko is overrated.  Maybe by some members on this board, but seriously, there aren't that many people who have even heard of this film.

I think it definately had flaws, but I feel it's a great first film and shows promise for sure.

As far as Usual Suspects being a garbage film... no... it was a bad screenplay that got turned into a good flick.  Well acted and full of little subtlties that make it better to watch for multiple viewings.

And Singer didn't "ruin" X-Men, that's Marvel's worst comic... the most soap opera of them all... just crap and Singer made it look good.  I didn't really like it that much, but it had a good look and the sequel looks slightly promising as far as comic book flicks go.

The Usual Suspects is a bad screenplay? Lick my ass- was it not nominated for an Academy Award? Yeah I know a lot of poorly written films are nominated for best screenplay, but still- I thought the writing was brilliant!

As for Darko, much dialogue made me cringe. Fell asleep in the middle of it so can't really comment.

Pubrick

Quote from: SubstanceDI really want to like it though. I do. The actors are great.
yeah Jena Malone is bangin. enuff to make me like it. twice.

Quote from: MacGuffinAs cliched as using the dolly/zoom shot made famous in Jaws.
dude are u talking about the Vertigo effect?
under the paving stones.

Xixax

Quote from: MacGuffinWhat bugged me was the "Hey, look at me, I'm directing" shots - the opening and the school hallway one scored to "Head Over Heels". Using those long, slo-mo stedi-cam shots (along with the sped up, time lapse ones) really did nothing to convey any story points. They were just there for a first time director to show his 'style' (that he stole from someone else) and because he liked the song and wanted to stretch it out. As cliched as using the dolly/zoom shot made famous in Jaws.
I suggest you see "Anatomy of a Scene" with Richard Kelly.

If you didn't first observe the significance of the Head over Heels segment, he spells it all out in that show. It wasn't directing for directing's sake. It all had a purpose.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4dThe Usual Suspects is a bad screenplay? Lick my ass- was it not nominated for an Academy Award? Yeah I know a lot of poorly written films are nominated for best screenplay, but still- I thought the writing was brilliant!

Not only was it nominated, it won.

Quote from: MacGuffinAs cliched as using the dolly/zoom shot made famous in Jaws.
Quote from: Pdude are u talking about the Vertigo effect?

Yes, although Hitchcock used it for a subjective purpose, Spielberg used it for an objective one, and it is this shot, used this way that is used all the time.

Quote from: XixaxI suggest you see "Anatomy of a Scene" with Richard Kelly.

If you didn't first observe the significance of the Head over Heels segment, he spells it all out in that show. It wasn't directing for directing's sake. It all had a purpose.

Everything has purpose to the director, but I'll give it another viewing. But BonBon's post at the bottom just makes me believe that he uses the shots just to use the cool music:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=459
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: cbrad4d
The Usual Suspects is a bad screenplay? Lick my ass- was it not nominated for an Academy Award? Yeah I know a lot of poorly written films are nominated for best screenplay, but still- I thought the writing was brilliant!

That's nasty talk for a cute little girl.

I thought the plot was good, I thought the movie was good, but have you read that screenplay?  That was one of the first screenplays I read.  It came in a box set with the VHS commentary.  It's really not a well written screenplay.  I can understand why it would be nominated, I doubt those people read it though, they just liked the movie and I do to, but if you read the screenplay, you'll see, it's just not very good without all the shit they threw in there to make the film good.

Duck Sauce

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: cbrad4d

That's nasty talk for a cute little girl.

Didn't get my nap today.

Gold Trumpet

RegularKarate