Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Sleuth

I like that though, it sounds like a lost child and gives off a sort of paranoia/fear
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: tremoloslothI like that though, it sounds like a lost child and gives off a sort of paranoia/fear

Well, then it is precisely a difference of subjective reaction between you and I, then.  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: godardianIf you can't be bothered to come up with a tune, you shouldn't be making pop music. The Strokes have tunes and, I think, some semblance of energy and joy in making their music. Radiohead have long since abandoned the former and apparently no longer have any aspiration to the latter.

i completely agree with this.  but i'lll think twice next time before i go stirring up the hornets nest.  especially when that nest is the radiohead nazis.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: godardianIf you can't be bothered to come up with a tune, you shouldn't be making pop music. The Strokes have tunes and, I think, some semblance of energy and joy in making their music. Radiohead have long since abandoned the former and apparently no longer have any aspiration to the latter.

i completely agree with this.  but i'lll think twice next time before i go stirring up the hornets nest.  especially when that nest is the radiohead nazis.

I completely disagree.  You don't get to tell someone how they should or shouldn't make their art.  And that's all the nazi propoganda I'm going to say
I like to hug dogs

Pas

The Smiths vs Radiohead would be even more fun and even less relevant.

I go with Morrissey ! Ohh Mother, I can feel, the soil falling over my head...god I love this song.

I just bought chicken flavored potato chips and they taste like shit. I hate myself.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: Pas Rapport

I go with Morrissey !

Me, too... obviously.  :lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

bonanzataz

dude, morrisey's fuckin' awesome. they did a whole thing on vh1 classics (best channel ever) on the smiths and morrisey's got some killer dance moves, let me tell you that.

for all you haters, however, radiohead strikes a chord with me. the music just clicks when i hear it (for the most part). i can listen to a radiohead song and have it stuck in my head for days, so anybody saying that radiohead isn't catchy just doesn't get it. which isn't an insult. i don't really get fellini films. i know for most here, that would make me the crazy one. maybe i just have to watch them more. whatever, that's beside the point. all i'm saying is, different strokes for different folks.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

did you just say the strokes!??!?!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: bonanzatazdude, morrisey's fuckin' awesome. they did a whole thing on vh1 classics (best channel ever) on the smiths and morrisey's got some killer dance moves, let me tell you that.

for all you haters, however, radiohead strikes a chord with me. the music just clicks when i hear it (for the most part). i can listen to a radiohead song and have it stuck in my head for days, so anybody saying that radiohead isn't catchy just doesn't get it. which isn't an insult. i don't really get fellini films. i know for most here, that would make me the crazy one. maybe i just have to watch them more. whatever, that's beside the point. all i'm saying is, different strokes for different folks.

Not only those he have the moves, he has the tunes. I hope someday his lyrics will be more respected. Not a single uncool teen should live without listening to the Smiths, the suicide rate would go down instantly. Or maybe up, come to think of it...lyrics like :"I'm alone, I'm alone, I'm alone I'm alone I'm alone and I never, never had no one ever" can really make you want to stick a gun to your head. Especially with Morrissey's voice. Hummm...

As for Radiohead and lack of catchy songs, if we only need a single counter-example, then let's just name Karma Police. Here, debate over.

Alexandro

Radiohead wants to make pop. They said it them themselves. But they can't. They're too smart, their music and lyrics are too inteligent and filled with substance to be pop. Björk has the same problem, she's too smart for pop.

Pop is stupid and fun, most of the time (boy bands, britney, strokes), and sometimes it's something more crafted (coldplay, metallica, white stripes)...and sometimes is just something too fucking cool to be pop, like radiohead and björk and the flaming lips and air...

or sometimes is something so chamaleonic it's impossible to tell: david bowie...beck...ween

moonshiner

the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Newtron

Quote from: AlexandroRadiohead wants to make pop. They said it them themselves. But they can't. They're too smart, their music and lyrics are too inteligent and filled with substance to be pop. Björk has the same problem, she's too smart for pop.

Pop is stupid and fun, most of the time (boy bands, britney, strokes), and sometimes it's something more crafted (coldplay, metallica, white stripes)...and sometimes is just something too fucking cool to be pop, like radiohead and björk and the flaming lips and air...

or sometimes is something so chamaleonic it's impossible to tell: david bowie...beck...ween

godardian

Quote from: Pas RapportNot a single uncool teen should live without listening to the Smiths, the suicide rate would go down instantly. Or maybe up, come to think of it...lyrics like :"I'm alone, I'm alone, I'm alone I'm alone I'm alone and I never, never had no one ever" can really make you want to stick a gun to your head. Especially with Morrissey's voice. Hummm...

While I applaud any compliment given to the Best Band (and undoubtedly best lyricist) of our lifetimes, I would hasten to point out that Morrissey, despite the smears against him, is NOT some suicidal miserablist. He acknowledges that aspect and is capable of finding both the tenderness and the humor of human frailty and futility. I find The Smiths at their best when simultaneously very pointed, poignant, adamant, and skeptical: "Girl Afraid," "Panic," "Sheila Take a Bow," "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others." If a Morrissey lyric has never made you laugh- in amazement, in complicity, in recognition- then you're missing a very important part of what makes him so great. He's not just some sad sack- he is more than capable of looking at the world outside his window and the funny people (all of us) who occupy it, and he has a brilliant, unparalleled knack for articulating what he sees.

There is a thread for all this:

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=960&start=15

not to mention:

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2390&start=15

Pas

Quote from: AlexandroRadiohead wants to make pop. They said it them themselves. But they can't. They're too smart, their music and lyrics are too inteligent and filled with substance to be pop. Björk has the same problem, she's too smart for pop.

This is one of the most condescent post I've read here. Congrats.