Dario Argento

Started by MacGuffin, October 20, 2006, 01:05:49 PM

MacGuffin

Asia Argento to Star in Dad's Horror Pic
Source: Variety

Asia Argento will topline her father Dario Argento's English-language horror film The Mother of Tears, billed as the third installment in the cult helmer's "Three Mothers" trilogy.

Asia Argento, whose credits include Marie Antoinette and XXX, will play an American art student who unwittingly unleashes a plague of witches in Rome by opening an ancient urn.

Shooting is set to start Oct. 30 in Rome, with plans to move after one week to Turin.

Rounding out the cast are Udo Kier (Dogville), Massimo Sarchielli (Under the Tuscan Sun), and Philippe Leroy (The Bible).

The screenplay is co-penned by U.S. screenwriter duo Jace Anderson and Adam Gierasch (Toolbox Murders) with Argento.

The previous films in Argento's "Three Mothers" trilogy are Suspiria and Inferno.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

I've only seen Suspiria, and I really liked it. I didn't find it particularly scary but the visuals were pretty breathtaking, and the score rather chilling. What else by him is good?

Zebulon

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 21, 2006, 04:32:36 PM
I've only seen Suspiria, and I really liked it. I didn't find it particularly scary but the visuals were pretty breathtaking, and the score rather chilling. What else by him is good?
I enjoy Argento's work, even if sometimes his films can feel disjointed. I like to imagine that they are all dreamlike (or sometimes nightmaresque) in order to have that extra suspension of disbelief that is required to understand character motivations, odd storyline changes, or his sometimes bizarre endings.

Here are a few recommendations:

Inferno - Along the lines of Suspiria, with dazzling visuals and some haunting scenes.

Tenebre - Often considered one of his best works.

Deep Red - Argento AND David Hemmings ... how can you go wrong? Well, you could I guess, but this works.

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage - This is the earliest of his films that I can recommend (outside of his writing credit for "Once Upon A Time In The West" of course).

Opera - This one has a slower pace, but it fits in nicely with Tenebre and Suspiria.

Argento's cut of the original Dawn of the Dead is actually pretty good too. It's more action oriented (he cut some of the character development scenes), and it would probably play better to modern film sensibilities. I've heard that his latest (Do You Like Hitchcock) is quite good too. I haven't seen any of his Demons movies, but I hear that they are fairly well received.

If you enjoyed the soundtrack on Suspiria, you'll probably enjoy the soundtracks from most of his films -- he tended to work with the same people. I'm especially partial to the soundtrack from Deep Red.

The Sheriff

whos seen his masters of horror episodes? jenifer is way better than pelts. forget pelts and see jenifer

id fuck ayn rand

MacGuffin

Argento's next horror pic will be in English
Source: Hollywood Reporter

ROME -- Italian horror director Dario Argento will begin filming an English-language slasher film next month in Turin, the local film commission said Wednesday, marking the famed director's first English-language effort.

The film will be called "Giallo" -- Italian for "yellow," local slang for the thriller genre -- and will star Argento's daughter Asia, along with Ray Liotta and Vincent Gallo. The screenplay is from Sean Keller and Jim Agnew, who already are collaborating on the in-production horror film "Damned."

The film will tell the story of a serial murderer (played by Gallo) with a taste for attractive women, who is being chased by a solitary detective (Liotta).

The film will be shot on familiar territory: Turin also was the site of most of the shooting for "The Mother of Tears," Argento's most recent film. Both films are backed by financial incentives from the Turin-Piedmont Film Commission.

The 67-year-old Argento is best known for such cult classics as 1977's "Suspiria" and "Inferno" from 1980.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Argento Gets A Box Set
One bloody box, five murderous masterpieces.

Dario Argento is one of the most acclaimed filmmakers in modern history, a director whose work has shocked, entertained and enthralled millions the world over. Now, Anchor Bay Entertainment pays tribute to the acclaimed filmmaker with The Dario Argento Box Set, a five-film collection that will be released on May 27, 2008 for an SRP of $49.97.

The five films in this collection have been remastered from original vault elements and are presented uncut and uncensored for an all-new look at one of the most controversial and influential filmmakers in the history of modern cinema.

The Dario Argento Box Set includes such masterpieces as:

TENEBRE SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New remastered widescreen (1.85:1) transfer, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
Audio Commentary with writer/director Dario Argento, music composer Claudio Simonetti and journalist Loris Curci
Voices of The Unsane
The Roving Camera Eye of Dario Argento
Creating the Sounds of Terror
Alternate end-credit music
Theatrical trailer
Dario Argento biography

PHENOMENA SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New remastered widescreen (1.66:1) transfer, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
Audio Commentary with writer/director Dario Argento, special makeup effects artist Sergio Stivaletti, music composer Claudio Simonetti and journalist Loris Curci
A Dark Fairy Tale
Luigi Cozzi & The Art of Macrophotography
Dario Argento on "The Joe Franklin Show"
Claudio Simonetti Music Video ("Jennifer")
Bill Wyman Music Video ("Valley")
Theatrical trailer
Dario Argento biography

TRAUMA SPECIAL FEATURES

Widescreen (2.35:1) presentation, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
Audio Commentary with Profondo Argento author Alan Jones
Love, Death & Trauma featurette with an interview with director Dario Argento
Never-Before-Seen, On-Set and Behind-The-Scenes Footage
Exclusive Special Effects home movies from Tom Savini
Deleted Scenes
Theatrical Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery
Dario Argento biography

THE CARD PLAYER SPECIAL FEATURES

Widescreen (1.85:1) presentation, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
Audio Commentary with Profondo Argento author Alan Jones
"Playing With Death" featurette including an exclusive interview with director Dario Argento
Maestro of Fear featurette with composer Claudio Simonetti
Electronic Press Kit
Behind-The-Scenes Footage
Theatrical Trailer

DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? SPECIAL FEATURES

Widescreen (1.66:1) presentation, enhanced for 16x9 televisions
Do You Like Hitchcock?: Backstage
Dario Argento biography

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Adrien Brody to topline 'Giallo'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Adrien Brody, Emmanuelle Seigner and Elsa Pataky have signed on to star in "Giallo," the latest thriller from Italian horrormeister Dario Argento.

"Giallo" revolves around an American flight attendant who teams with an Italian investigator to search for her missing sister who has been abducted by a serial killer known only as Yellow.

The term "giallo" means "yellow" in Italian and also refers to the Italian pulp, horror and erotic genre of film and literature. Argento has built his name with movies that combine horror and eroticism such as 1977's "Suspiria" and last year's "The Mother of Tears."

"Giallo" might mark the first time an actor of Brody's caliber has starred in an Argento film.

The film, from a screenplay by Jim Agnew and Sean Keller, will be produced by Rafael Primorac and Richard Rionda Del Castro.

Production is set to start May 12 in Torino, Italy, with postproduction work done in Los Angeles.

Brody is exec producing along with Oscar Generale, Claudio Argento, Luis De Val, David Milner, Billy Dietrich, Patricia Eberle, Donald Barton and John Hicks.

Claudio Argento's Opera Films will handle production services in Italy, with Footprint Investment Fund co-financing.

Hannibal Pictures is handling worldwide sales and will be selling the film next month at the Festival de Cannes.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

i have a few friends that love Argento. i just roll my eyes. this past sunday, i went over to a friends house hoping to watch Pierrot Le Fou. he's like we'll have to wait cause so and so is bringing over mother of tears. I said "oh no. I should leave now." Upon leaving I yelled to them, "I'm taking my Godard and leaving!!"
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bethie on April 11, 2008, 01:29:48 AM"I'm taking my Godard and leaving!!"

If that's not a marquee candidate...

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

Mother of Tears is coming to theaters soon.  It's weird anticipating a film that's the final chapter of a series of considerable quality that was quite successful but is removed by so many years and so many films that there really isn't a lot of reason to think it's going to be of the same artistic vein.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

w/o horse

Quote from: w/o horse on April 25, 2008, 03:48:39 PM
Mother of Tears is coming to theaters soon.  It's weird anticipating a film that's the final chapter of a series of considerable quality that was quite successful but is removed by so many years and so many films that there really isn't a lot of reason to think it's going to be of the same artistic vein.

Quoting..myself.  Last night the host said the same thing, he said it like "Indy fans thought there was a long gap?  We've been waiting 28 years."  The writers were there.  Their story was the typical one of happenstance and circumstance, although their circumstance was being writers on Masters of Horror already so it's not quite the success from nowhere story.

The movie?  A great admixture of many horror elements including Argento's signature supernatural and also heavier physical horror (as is the contemporary trend), suspense, and monster horror.  Lots of gasps and laughs.  I didn't follow the story worth shit but on the visual and filmmaking side I'd say this film was a great success.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

SiliasRuby

I just saw 'Demons' even though he didn't direct it, He had a heavy hand in 'Demons' so I decided to put the review here.  Lamberto Bava directed it.

Spoilers I guess

There's some heavy over the top strangeness in this film-example: people snorting coke from coca cola cans, people saying "just like 'Rambo' baby, oh yeah", billy idol music- and its only once in a long while that you see 1980's rediculousness encapsulated in one film inparticular.

Even though its called 'Demons' certain sequences have these demon characters (that take over a old movie theatre and ravage it) have a zombie like quality and could be used in a double bill with 'Dawn of the Dead' or one of its sequels.

The cast-save for the strange casting of the black man as a kind of bad ass shaft gone wrong character-feel like they were plucked from the streets of hollywood and sherman oaks. They all have this type of real life type of quality to them. Even though the film is set in West berlin, the whole cast speaks English.

For 1985, some of the special effects are pretty good but pretty stupid at the same time, can it be both.

This definitely is going to be picked up by me on DVD soon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

RegularKarate

Quote from: SiliasRuby on January 25, 2009, 07:14:58 PM
This definitely is going to be picked up by me on DVD soon.

I want to see you review a movie that you WOULDN'T pick up on DVD.

please

MacGuffin

Adrien Brody sues to prevent you from seeing his next movie
Source: SyFy

Every actor has skeletons in his closet, movies so bad he wishes they'd simply be forgotten. But Adrien Brody made a horror film with legendary Italian director Dario Argento—so why doesn't he want anyone to see it?

Pretty simple, really: Because Brody never got paid. When the Predators star took the role in Argento's Giallo—as a detective helping a woman find her sister, who's been abducted by a serial killer—Brody was supposed to get $640,000 for his work. But that money never materialized.

The Academy Award-winning star then signed a new agreement with Giallo's producers, claiming that he would finish shooting the film but that if he didn't get the money owed him he would retain "absolute right to withhold consent to the use of his likeness."

The producers never made with the cash, so Brody's suing to stop Giallo's release—which was scheduled for today. All of which is kind of a shame, as a horror film with an Oscar-winning lead, directed by the guy who made Suspiria, would probably be something to see.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 23, 2010, 05:07:16 PM
All of which is kind of a shame, as a horror film with an Oscar-winning lead, directed by the guy who made Suspiria, would probably be something to see.

uh no. is everyone's instincts retarded or what? this movie that no one would ever have heard of if it wasn't for this boring financial problem is almost 100% guarranteed to be shit.

brody is a complete non-presence with about as much charisma as Orlando Bloom in a coma. and argento is a hasbeen who would only be praised these days by teenagers who just discovered him or ppl who generally like shitty movies.. you know those ppl who pride themselves in liking trash.

"something to see" is right, in the sense that a mangled trainwreck with dead bodies everywhere is "something to see".
under the paving stones.