Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

Pedro

I saw Terrence Malick last night.

I live in Austin and, as we all know, Malick has been shooting here.  I decided to take a friend to a favorite country music venue of mine.  The stage is in front of a dance floor, and there is table seating to the side.  As we watched the band and the couples dancing, I saw a familiar face go by.  Terrence Malick was dancing with his partner.  I did not approach him.  By the time I had the nerve to consider paying him a compliment, he was nowhere to be found.  I did, however, take a video.

modage

The only way you could've truly paid him a compliment is if after filming him for a few seconds, you found a beam of light or a small mouse scurrying across the floor and panned over to capture its beauty leaving Malick & his partner just out of frame.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

md

The aire of respect for that man is captured quite well in that little clip.  Although it was probably not by design, I love how that fast paced dancer slowed down and moved out of the way for a man that was moving (with his girl) at his own pace. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Just Withnail

Quote from: modage on November 18, 2012, 12:41:56 PM
The only way you could've truly paid him a compliment is if after filming him for a few seconds, you found a beam of light or a small mouse scurrying across the floor and panned over to capture its beauty leaving Malick & his partner just out of frame.

But don't you see, this clip is in itself just that: a chance encounter with a beautiful, shy animal, a fleeting moment of transcendence captured on tape. It's the most Malickian thing I've ever seen.

Bethie

if there wasn't video proof, I would think your story was just a dream.
who likes movies anyway

tpfkabi

Just read through the thread.
I finally saw Days of Heaven a few weeks ago, and was blown away after the 2nd viewing.
Paul is constructing his movies like this, shooting one thing and after editing, going somewhere different. Or maybe 'finding' the movie in post production.
Then there is the ad libbed narration.
The pick up shots made in a pool / fish tank.
The reverse locust shot.

This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

I've had Tree of Life since Jan 2012 and still haven't watched it. I get the feeling it is a movie I want to watch with no distractions, and I rarely get the chance to watch movies like that anymore.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Just Withnail on November 18, 2012, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: modage on November 18, 2012, 12:41:56 PM

But don't you see, this clip is in itself just that: a chance encounter with a beautiful, shy animal, a fleeting moment of transcendence captured on tape. It's the most Malickian thing I've ever seen.

also, twirling

Pubrick

Malick's favourite simpsons moment:

under the paving stones.

Lottery

Malick could be the ultimate Bollywood music video director.

Pubrick

interesting details about one of Malick's upcoming movies (how many is he making??), titled Knight of Cups. provided by Cate Blanchett who says this about her role and Malick's approach to cinema:

"It was a cross between cinema, philosophy, poetry and a quasi religious experience," she said of the film's little-known plot.

"It's almost like he's inventing a new form. And I don't know what my ultimate role in that will be, but it was certainly an extraordinary experience," she said. "He kept saying he wanted 'to catch life on the wing," she added. "You weren't so much playing characters as you were playing states of being or moments in time."

source: EW.

this is the first i've even heard of this movie, apparently one of two that he shot back to back. as far as the title goes, he's still on some mystical shit.
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

Wasn't Knight of Cups the one he shot test footage of at ACL a few years back? Or was this the second of the two he was supposedly doing back to back with Christian Bale?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

Terrence Malick's 'Voyage of Time' Heads to Cannes -- It's His "Most Ambitious Film to Date"
by Beth Hanna
May 13, 2014 11:51 AM

Ever wonder about Terrence Malick's 30-years-in-the-making "Voyage of Time"? Well, it seems the film will now emerge at the upcoming Cannes market. Wild Bunch and Berlin-based Sophisticated Films are set to present first images from the feature to festival buyers.

With the announcement comes some clarification (though not too much) on what the film is even about. Per Wild Bunch, the film "is a celebration of the earth, displaying the whole of time, from the birth of the universe to its final collapse." And more specifically: it "examines all that went to prepare the miracle that stands before us now. After the nebulae and supernovae, after the lands of lava and smoke, after the elaboration of the first cells, first fish, first amphibians and reptiles, this great wonder!"

The film has come together with the involvement of "leading experts in natural history cinematography" who have been using IMAX cameras to capture the images. Wild Bunch goes so far as to call "Voyage of Time" the mysterious director's "most ambitious film to date."

Though it will be first glimpsed this week, "Voyage of Time" still has another small voyage of time before arriving on the big screen. They're saying it will hit theaters in a feature-length version in 2016, with a 40-minute version in the large format.

Brad Pitt's Plan B is one of the film's producers, leaving Variety to speculate that Pitt may very well narrate the film.

Ravi

Terrence Malick's 'Voyage of Time' Locks Financing with Imax, Broad Green
FEBRUARY 3, 2015 | 09:00AM PT
Dave McNary
Film Reporter
@Variety_DMcNary

Imax and Broad Green Pictures have joined Sophisticated Films and Wild Bunch to complete financing of Terrence Malick's long-anticipated "Voyage of Time."

Under the deal, Broad Green will have the first opportunity to distribute "Voyage of Time" in North America following the exclusive Imax release.

The move by Broad Green, a distributor launched last summer by brothers Gabriel and Daniel Hammond, follows the acquisitions of Robert Redford's "A Walk in the Woods" last week at Sundance and several titles at Toronto including "99 Homes," starring Andrew Garfield.

The Hammond brothers will also executive produce "Voyage of Time," joining seven other exec producers including Tanner Beard, Mary Bing, Yves Chevalier, Christos V. Konstantakopoulos, Jacques Perrin, Ryan Rettig and Donald Rosenfeld.

Producers are Dede Gardner, Nicolas Gonda, Sarah Green, Grant Hill, Brad Pitt, Bill Pohlad and Sophokles Tasioulis are producing.

The deal was announced with Malick's "Knight of Cups," starring Christian Bale, due to premiere in competition at the Berlin Film Festival this week. His "Tree of Life" won the Palme d'Or at Cannes four years ago; Malick's "To the Wonder" debuted in 2012.

Wild Bunch began selling "Voyage" at last year's Cannes Film Festival and has closed deals for Japan with Gaga, France with Mars, Lumiere for Benelux and Edko for Hong Kong.

"Voyage of Time" is described as a "celebration of the universe, displaying the whole of time, from its start to its final collapse."

Tuesday's announcement said Malick is working first in the Imax format for a 40-minute version with scientific narration by Brad Pitt, followed by a 35mm feature-length version with narration by Cate Blanchett.

The film is also the first recipient of financing from Imax's Original Film Fund, first reported by Variety in Cannes in May to co-finance a portfolio of 10 original Imax films.

"Terrence Malick is one of the most innovative filmmakers in the world, and has literally been designing and making this movie with large-format cameras for over 30 years," said Greg Foster, CEO of Imax Entertainment. "To be able to launch our Film Fund portfolio with Malick and his imaginative style of filmmaking is capturing lightning in a bottle."

"Terrence Malick is an innovator of epic scope," said Gabriel and Daniel Hammond of Broad Green Pictures. "We have long admired his work and could not be more excited to partner with him on this."

The deal was negotiated with the legal support of Stefan Lutje of Olswang Germany LLP, Alan Sacks at Frankfurt Kurnit and Christopher Tricarico at Broad Green.

wilder

Terrence Malick's Next Film Is WW2 Drama 'Radegund' Starring 'Inglourious Basterds' Actor August Diehl
via The Playlist

Once upon a time you went literally decades between Terrence Malick films. Now there's so many of them that there's a backlog — "Knight Of Cups" only just hit theaters, there's still no firm word on when "Weightless" will arrive, and documentary "Voyage Of Time" is a few months away as well. And Malick shows no sign of stopping, as news has arrived that he's got financing for a new project.

Arriving in the German press including Weltfäliche Nachrichten and trade site Blickpunkt: Film is the news that Malick has been given 400,000 Euros by a German funding body towards the production of "Radegund," which will shoot at the famous Studio Babelsberg this summer. The film will star "Inglourious Basterds" actor August Diehl as Franz Jägerstätter, an Austrian man who opposed the Nazis, and refused to fight as a conscientious objector, causing him to be executed by the Nazis in 1943. (A newcomer called Valerie Pachner will also appear).

Initially condemned by his fellow Catholic countrymen, he was rediscovered in the 1960s thanks to a biography, was previously the subject of a film by Axel Corti in 1971, and in 2007 was beatified and declared a martyr by Pope Benedict XVI.

Sleepless

Dude needs to chill a bit and appreciate the simple things in life like the way sunlight hits a field of grass blowing gently in the breeze.

Synopsis really doesn't sound much. A bit too Spielbergian, although how much plot will actually make it into the final product? Of course, if this ends up being closer to TRL and earlier/classic Malick then could be something special.

Blickpunkt sounds like a Euro trash TV show in which dumb Leave-voting Brits are pranked relentlessly and we all laugh at their xenophobic ways.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.