Mad Max 4: Fury Road

Started by MacGuffin, November 02, 2006, 11:36:09 AM

MacGuffin

Miller Talks Up Mad Max 4
Source: Cinematical

Last we heard from the Mad Max 4 camp, director George Miller was bummed after having to abandon production on the film in Nambia, Africa due to the war, and the fact that they couldn't get insurance or their vehicles shipped into the country. Mel Gibson, who had reportedly signed on to star (for a crisp $25 million, mind you) bailed, and a lot of the budget was lost, as well as a heck of a lot of time. This is the reason why it's been 8 years since Miller directed a film -- before the upcoming Happy Feet, his last pic was 1998's Babe: Pig in the City.

However, more time has passed, and in a recent interview with In Focus Miller once again addressed the question on everyone's mind: Will he or will he not be helming a Mad Max 4? Says Miller, "Mad Max 4 is so prepared, there seems to be a lot of momentum for it to get done. Right now, I've got another, smaller film to do, and then we'll gear up and do Mad Max again. In what form and so on, I don't know. But it hasn't gotten stale in the meantime, and I'm very very keen to do it. It seems like there's the appetite out there." The title of the film (we're assuming) will still be Mad Max: Fury Road, and although originally pegged as a prequel, Miller denied those rumors without saying anything more about the project.

But what about Mel? Will he hop back on the wagon, even though he's already fallen off of it? And would a Max Max sequel be worth it if Mel doesn't sign on? After all, he did agree to do a fourth Lethal Weapon, so I suppose there's a good chance he'll be game.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Mad Max' sequel in the works
'Fury Road' will shoot in Sydney, outback
Source: Hollywood Reporter

SYDNEY -- The fourth installment in George Miller's "Mad Max" franchise, "Fury Road," is set to go into production in Sydney and outback New South Wales next year, according to local reports Saturday.

Miller, who also will produce the film through his production shingle Kennedy Miller, is quoted as saying that " 'Fury Road' will put NSW back on the map as a filmmaking destination.

"Hollywood has cut its production in half. Big movies like 'Fury Road' and 'Happy' Feet are rare and competitively sought after in all the filmmaking regions of the world," Miller told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"The production agreements have been a long time in the making and (NSW) Premier Rees and his team have worked like Trojans to ensure this substantial investment comes into this country. Not only does it help fuel the local economy but it means many talented people get a chance to practice their craft and lift their skills."

News that "Fury Road" has been given the greenlight comes just 10 days after Warner Bros. announced was pulling production of "Green Lantern" out of Australia.

No studio backing for "Fury Road" was announced for the film which reportedly has a $100 million budget.

"The 'Mad Max' films are iconic," Rees said. "In the hands of director George Miller, we will see one of the largest and most ambitious live-action films ever made in Australia. This is a clear vote of confidence in Australian expertise. This proves that Sydney is an international contender for major film production."

Kennedy Miller is also in production on "Happy Feet 2" in its digital production joint venture with Omnilab Media, Dr D.

"Its been 30 years since the post-apocalyptic thriller "Mad Max" was released, propelling Mel Gibson to stardom.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy hit 'Fury Road'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy are in negotiations to star in "Fury Road," this century's installment of the "Mad Max" movie series from writer-director George Miller.

Miller is producing with Doug Mitchell.

Despite his long association with the fourth movie, Mel Gibson is not reprising his iconic role of Max Rockatansky, the hardened ex-cop in a future beset by gas shortages and marauding gangs.

That job goes to Hardy, the British-born actor who stole scenes as Handsome Bob in Guy Ritchie's "RocknRolla." ("RocknRolla" has proved to be a launch pad for Hardy, who booked a gig in Christopher Nolan's "Inception" as well. He also starred in "Bronson.")

Theron is playing the female lead.

While story details are being kept under wraps, the movie does take place a short while after the story detailed in 1985's "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome," which keeps Mad Max relatively young.

A shoot next summer in Australia is being eyed. The movie will be an Australian production which Warner Bros. will distribute. 

"Road" has been in the works for more than a decade, with Gibson attached to star at one point. When the project finally began ramping up earlier this spring and summer, Miller began looking at and testing numerous actors who could step into the grim shoes previously worn by Gibson.

Courtenay Valenti is overseeing for the studio.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Drenk

I find this trailer so not impressive at all. Sand and vehicles.

But I've not seen the first Mad Max and am unaware of George Miller talent, so, maybe it'll change. I'm excited because people are excited, though!
Ascension.

max from fearless

When did dirt get so glossy? I miss Mel Gibson and Toe Cutter and CGI-less chases. I do like the thumbs up Tom Hardy gives to Theron but this is not Mad Max. This is some other, other shit...

Drenk

The thumps up is what gives me hope.
Ascension.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Drenk

Very impressive and exciting trailer.  Real sand and cars! I wonder if it works as a movie, though.
Ascension.

max from fearless

JEEEEEESUZZ................I HATED THE FIRST TRAILER.......BUT THIS ONE IS ACES.

IT'S LIKE MILLER EMBRACED THE MADNESS AND CAMPNESS PULLED OUT HIS DICK ON SOME REAL LOCATIONS AND THEN FUCKED HIS COMPUTER IN POST, A FREE FOR ALL WITH ALL THE ILM STAFF, MANUFACTURING MAGIC AND EXPLOSIVE WHIRLWIND CUMSHOTS........

IF IT'S THIS FLAMBOYANT, MAD AND ZANY: I'M IN.

IN IN IN.

WHERE DID UR CAPSLOCK COME FROM MADMAX FROM FEARLESS

polkablues

I read his post as the Humungus from Road Warrior yelling it over the loudspeaker.

JUST WALK AWAY. THERE HAS BEEN TOO MUCH VIOLENCE. TOO MUCH PAIN.
My house, my rules, my coffee

max from fearless

MY CURRENT CAPSLOCK MANIA IS MY HOMAGE TO PTA SCRIPTS WHEN SHIT'S POPPING OFF IN HIS PSYCHOMANICDREAM NARRATIVES, APPLIED TO MAD MAX FROM FEARLESS. LIKE THAT SHOT OF CHARLIZE ABOUT TO SCREAM.

HOLD. HOLD. HOLD. HOLD. HOLD.

jonas

:shock:

My only reaction to this: "Holy shit!"
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Gold Trumpet

It looks amazing. Been a while since I've been pumped for a summer blockbuster.