The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Pubrick

Sorry guys the mass enlightenment was a miscalculation, it will now be happening in October.

Or whenever modage or the average moviegoer sees fit.
under the paving stones.

cinemanarchist

Got my tickets for the midnight show at The Sunshine. I'm getting too old for this shit, but it should be a fun time. Very excited.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

modage

Quote from: Pubrick on May 24, 2011, 09:51:06 AM
Sorry guys the mass enlightenment was a miscalculation, it will now be happening in October.

It's okay. We all needed something to believe in for a while.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Quote from: modage on May 23, 2011, 11:13:54 PM
On first viewing, "Tree of Life" is a frustrating experience as you wrestle with your own disappointment. For all the breathtaking shots included in the film, how many of them actually meant something? So many scenes in the film seem to be included only because they're pretty to look at and not because they have any impact on the story, it's characters or how it might affect the overall narrative.

It's Terrence Malick! He's not your traditional Hollywood filmmaker. None of his films are particularly concerned with telling a story through a traditional straightforward narrative. Visuals, elliptic VO and the feeling that they create are what gives dominance. On some level, it is storytelling, but not what audiences are accustomed too. Certainly not from a Brad Pitt movie. There Will Be Walkouts.

You should go back and rewatch each of his films, I do think you'll come away with a greater appreciation on each reviewing. I used to be really frustrated by TRL but it grows better each time I watch it.

While you might say the film doesn't conform to your expectations of cinema, that's kinda the point.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Gold Trumpet

From mod's other criticisms about Malick films, I just thought Malick was not his taste.

Fernando

^^ yeah, mod's reaction was expected, at least by me. now if sambong hates it, then ill be concerned.

Stefen

I never like his movies immediately after the first viewing. It isn't until much later and subsequent viewings that I realize how near perfection they are.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

Quote from: Stefen on May 24, 2011, 12:14:17 PM
I never like his movies immediately after the first viewing. It isn't until much later and subsequent viewings that I realize how near perfection they are.

That only happened with days of heaven for me. I saw it when i was 19 and only loved it later. Every other film he's made after that I've seen in the theatre. I always walk in with the frame of mind that I shouldn't be looking for things, just let them happen, and that's usually worked out well.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pozer

it's so comical how all these peoples are all of a sudden baffled by Malick with this film. reactions are so out of the blue. "How could he not show his face to the press conference???" "Why am I watching birds and sun-dappled trees and swaying stalk and shit set to droning poem talk in lieu of a movie?????"

i guess because the thing has been baking for so long peeps were expecting it to be not so Malick and more of this huge entertainment beast. must have been exactly the same thing with Kubes.

and this ones got Pitt, yes but it's not much different from The New World. the subject matter of New World was more enticing to mass folks than this thing will be i suspect. my brother for example was highly disappointed with NW for he thought he was going to get Braveheart.

modage

I didn't think any of these things but it just seems to me he's wandered further and further out into the wilderness with each film and in this one in particular he's tipped the scales. I think Malick is his own worst enemy at this point. His collaborators (Lubezki, Trumbull, Fisk, Desplat, Pitt, Chastain) are bringing incredible work to the table and he just can't pull it all together.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Considering a starch defender of Ivan's Childhood may have been dismayed by the change Tarkovsky had when he made Mirror, I'm quite hopeful of Malick being his own worst enemy.

Stefen

Good news! Armond White hated it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

My assholeness knows no bounds.

Pozer

oooookay, Maliiiiick. at this point might as well pop in to take your award as well. say a few words, show some humor, show that Zoolander side of you. it's not so bad, shy guy. really though, guy gets all dolled up to hang out with the stagehands for the whole ceremony?? gotta go full noshow or the whole mysterious thing is a bust!

Stefen