Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GhostboyIf I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure the script specified one or two sequences that would turn into anime style action.

Is it intercut with real footage?

cine

I can't wait for QT's "Kill Bill".. normal filmgoers are going to see this and very likely be blown away. and when they deconstruct it, they'll see a film that tips its hat to anime, Bruce Lee, and Spaghetti Westerns (among other things of course)... what an astonishing feat.

Ernie

Quote from: P
Quote from: Duck SauceI hope the animation is just during the credits. That was something I didnt much care for in Run Lola Run
i'm pretty sure u hav consistently astounded me with bad taste and ignorance for almost a year.

Be astounded again...anime sucks dick, it could ruin this potentially very cool film. God forbid it's in anymore than the opening credits.

(I agee with Duck Sauce).

Ghostboy

Well, hate to disappoint you guys, but in answer to the query above its interspersed with other footage throughout the movie, at least in the screenplay (which admittedly was a somewhat earlier draft). I think if you naysayers had actually read the script, you'd think it's cool. The whole movie is such hodge podge of Asian and American cinema genres that animation is actually quite appropriate. The whole movie is very cartoon-like anyway.

Cecil

Sleuth

I don't understand any sort of dislike toward anime.  There's all different kinds, and it's a very large generalization to say you hate it.  Bu the way, for those of you that don't know, the best anime will not be found on Cartoon Network; judging anime by that is like judging all movies by only box office smashes
I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

i think the whole throw back to kung fu films and blaxploitation film has lost its novelty. i love tarantino but i wish hed do something new. this seems to be a parody of himself -- all that i can hope for is an entertaining action film -- there is nothing wrong with action films, i like action films -- i just expected more from him after being so quiete for so many years. i may be eating my words once the film comes out, but, if the trailer is any indication of the actual film its going to be a let down.
...your excuses are your own...

RegularKarate

Quote from: ebeaman69
(I agee with Duck Sauce).

Far from surprising

Gold Trumpet

The anime debate is getting dumb. To the people that simply dismiss it as nothing worth while, then shame on you for missing out on movies like "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Spirited Away". Anime is like any genre that at levels can be astonishing feats of masterful work but on its lowest levels, can be terrible. I think people should put trust in QT here that he will be doing fine with his inclusion of anime in the movie even if in two scenes. It reminds me of what someone must have thought when they heard that in Godard's Band of Outsiders there was going to be a dance sequence. They could have been, "Ah the musicals fucking suck! Godard has lost his mind!" Of course the final result was magnificent and fitting for Godard and also for the sense he had so much freedom in associating different elements in his movies. Trust QT and believe that he is not a fan of Dragonball Z.

~rougerum

markums2k

Damn you, MacGuffin, for making me scroll horizontally.  You wouldn't believe how big that picture is on this crappy monitor.  :-D

Anyways, the Anime thing.  While I'm a fan of Anime, I keep thinking: Natural Born Killers.  Which sucked.  Really bad.  Especially the animation stuff.  It just stops feeling like a movie and more like a confused, aimless piece of shit when you mix things up too much.

Keener

Quote from: markums2kNatural Born Killers.  Which sucked.  Really bad.  Especially the animation stuff.  It just stops feeling like a movie and more like a confused, aimless piece of shit when you mix things up too much.

How many times have you seen Natural Born Killers. If once, you should watch it again. It's much better the second time around.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

©brad

hey i got a question for ya thats off the anime subject, as interesting as that is. ( :sleeping: ) So the Kill Bill trailer is playing before the matrix along with many others from many different studios. how does this work? does miramax have to pay money to WB to get Kill Bill in front of the Matrix? Are there only a certain number of trailer spots available for a given film?

markums2k

Quote from: cbrad4dhey i got a question for ya thats off the anime subject, as interesting as that is. ( :sleeping: ) So the Kill Bill trailer is playing before the matrix along with many others from many different studios. how does this work? does miramax have to pay money to WB to get Kill Bill in front of the Matrix? Are there only a certain number of trailer spots available for a given film?

Uh, I certainly didn't see any Kill Bill trailers when I saw Reloaded.  And hey, if you don't like Anime, what the hell are you doing in the Anime thread-- oh wait...  :roll:

Quote from: KeenerHow many times have you seen Natural Born Killers. If once, you should watch it again.

Keener, you are correct; only once.  I will see it again.  Based on your sole recommendation.

Keener

I really didn't like NBK the first time I saw it but the second time it was a little clearer. It's really a fabulous film. You just have to get used to it's form of story telling.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

modage

this blurb is from Dark Horizons.  pretty exciting.

Kill Bill: Every now an then a star will say a quote which makes you go 'Wooooh', well Lucy Liu did that just the other day to press in Beijing about the new Tarantino movie: "It's so violent. People will leave the movie theatre or get sick in the movie theatre. But there's so much violence that it becomes not numbing, but almost comedic. There's a scene where there's so much violence that the color of the film goes into black and white, so that the blood looks like oil. It's cinematic, it's art. You can take it to a different level, and show what violence is, in such a heightened manner that you don't think of it as violence anymore, you think of it as a language. If you go to Kill Bill, you know there's going to be violence - that's your option".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.