Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

brockly

you don't want to hold my hand, i just cumed into it.

Cecil

pete

I just started reading the reviews on rottentomatoes.com.  I guess most of these critics who review movies the night they saw them are not the best ones to begin with, but I don't know why people think the movie is a "parody."  Just because it makes references to other movies and it's funny doesn't mean it's a parody.  And these critics also are unable to name anyone really aside from Karusawa and Sergio Leone as influences, like Kill Bill really had that much to do with Karusawa.  Then I got pissed when they called the 70's kungfu movies badly filmmed.  And I think most of everyone misses the fact that it's a chixploitation-revenge movie at heart (like I Spit On Your Grave et. al.).
I know the Xixax guys here who've seen it EEz and Ghostboy aren't amongst the guilty, but I'm just venting.  Feel my pain.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: peteFeel my pain.

I guess we could, but the rest of us haven't seen it yet. So feel our pain.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Quote from: peteI just started reading the reviews on rottentomatoes.com.  I guess most of these critics who review movies the night they saw them are not the best ones to begin with, but I don't know why people think the movie is a "parody."  Just because it makes references to other movies and it's funny doesn't mean it's a parody.  And these critics also are unable to name anyone really aside from Karusawa and Sergio Leone as influences, like Kill Bill really had that much to do with Karusawa.  Then I got pissed when they called the 70's kungfu movies badly filmmed.  And I think most of everyone misses the fact that it's a chixploitation-revenge movie at heart (like I Spit On Your Grave et. al.).
I know the Xixax guys here who've seen it EEz and Ghostboy aren't amongst the guilty, but I'm just venting.  Feel my pain.

I feel ya, theres this other board where they are already ripping on this film even though not a single one of those fuckers have seen it.

pete

yeah EEz, you and me against the world.  Friends forever?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Talks Kill Bill DVDs
Source: Empire Online

Empire Online talked to director Quentin Tarantino about what he's planning for the Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and Kill Bill: Vol. 2 DVDs.

"I can't imagine a better movie when it comes to great DVD stuff... We'll come up with separate DVDs for Volume 1 and Volume 2 and I'll do special stuff for each of those. Then we'll come up with a real big version with them both together but I won't repeat the special stuff I put on Volume 1 and Volume 2. I'll do something whole other from that. I might even do some other little movie thing just to go on that special double feature version."

He didn't reveal any details on what that other 'little movie' might be.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Its nice QT is so thoughtful. It sucks he is purposely making them both different. For those who like it, weeks of lunch money is going to be gone. They'll all be forced to buy both. Still, I hope I like the films.

~rougerum

edison

Quote from: peteyeah EEz, you and me against the world.  Friends forever?

yeah, forever

MacGuffin

Bravo Channel's "Making Of Kill Bill" is up for viewing here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Goddamnit, I know I'll be spending my lunch money on all three discs. Unless the extras on the first two really blow, in which case I'll just wait for the full version. But I doubt that will be the case.

MacGuffin

Quote from: peteAnd these critics also are unable to name anyone really aside from Karusawa and Sergio Leone as influences, like Kill Bill really had that much to do with Karusawa.

TARANTINO ON IFC:
On IFC, starting this Friday (Oct. 3rd) Quentin Tarantino is going to be introducing several classic flicks in their "Samurai Action Fest." He'll be introducing Kurosawa's YOJIMBO and SEVEN SAMURAI among others.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

CNN has an article calling this film a "girl power flick"...

?

godardian

Quote from: CinephileCNN has an article calling this film a "girl power flick"...

?

A correct but myopic description. You sure get to see a lot of ass-kicking girls, but... it's also steeped in a lot of whatever else is rolling around in Tarantino's mind... Certainly, it has nowhere near the social aspect Jackie Brown had.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.