Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

tpfkabi

it is fun watching them take shots at NBC. during last night's Jay both Sandra Bullock and Anderson Cooper joked with him about it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Tictacbk

incase you missed how all the Late Night guys handled this heres a recap: here

I think Kimmel wins?

I just can't understand how Leno can continue to talk about how he was "canceled" on The Tonight Show.  He's made several jokes about it.  Saying you're going to quit the tonight show in five years and then doing it is not getting canceled.  He's trying to buddy up next to Conan as a fellow victim and no one is buying it.  In the end he'll come off as the classless, unfunny asshole he's always been and his entire audience won't notice or care.

Stefen

I usually find late night TV boring but right now it's probably the best thing on TV. These dudes are ripping eachother to shreds ahah.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Tictacbk

So now I keep hearing that Leno was pushed out of The Tonight Show, or asked to leave, or whatever.  As I remember it he just randomly announced he would be ready to call it quits in 5 years back in 2004.  Am I remembering this wrong?

And I agree, this really is making for great television.  Late Night hasn't been so exciting since the writers strike.

Pas

Quote from: Tictacbeekay on January 13, 2010, 02:05:35 PM
incase you missed how all the Late Night guys handled this heres a recap: here

sweet link thanks

diggler

right now the major networks are laughing all the way to the bank too. this couldn't have happened at a better time for them. late night shows were starting to be marginalized by colbert etc. and since Conan seemed to be forced to tone down his act for the Tonight Show the next generation of viewers had no one to turn to. things must be really bad at NBC for them to seriously consider this. although controversy always brings ratings, Leno's first show got a bump due to Kanye West's debacle, so if this is their intention it's a brilliant move (although that's obviously not the case)

it's a nice touch how everyone seems to like Conan and are refusing to slander him.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Myxo

Conan should take his show to Comedy Central post Stewart/Colbert. I really love his Tonight Show but some of that Late Night edginess has been lost in an earlier time slot. I think if Conan moved to cable, he could bring back some of that authenticity we've been missing. I'm cool with a Fox show too, but I'd much rather see an unrestrained Conan again.

Also, fuck Leno. I've always thought he was an unfunny douchebag.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

If this happened to anyone else, I don't think it'd even be discussed.  Maybe Letterman.  Conan is the best thing to happen to Late Night TV in a long, long time.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

None this matters until Bethie has her say!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: Myxo on January 13, 2010, 06:47:28 PM
Conan should take his show to Comedy Central post Stewart/Colbert. I really love his Tonight Show but some of that Late Night edginess has been lost in an earlier time slot. I think if Conan moved to cable, he could bring back some of that authenticity we've been missing. I'm cool with a Fox show too, but I'd much rather see an unrestrained Conan again.

Also, fuck Leno. I've always thought he was an unfunny douchebag.

he wants to build a big audience and follow johnny carson, not be a cult star on basic cable.
leno's standup was great.  he just stopped trying.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

TMZ reporting now that Leno gets the Tonight Show back.

Bad guys win.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 14, 2010, 04:48:14 PM
TMZ reporting now that Leno gets the Tonight Show back.

Bad guys win.

NBC is now denying that report. But who knows.

RegularKarate

Did anyone see Kimmel on Jay's show last night.

Balls, he bit him good.  Won my respect, he did (Kimmel, not Leno)

Stefen

Jay Leno is unfunny. He appeals to people that are unfunny. His humor is boring and predictable. He appeals to most people.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Everybody's against Leno now, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects what happens, if at all.

If you go to Hulu, nearly all the tags for The Jay Leno Show are things like, "backstabber," "unfunny," "hack," etc.