Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Love love that more Jan Troell is entering the collection. This could be an inch toward a much needed release of Emigrants and The New Land onto Blu Ray.

Fernando

apparently this is Mulholland Drive.

samsong

it's about fucking time.  amazing news.

jenkins

So happy I haven't yet bought Dressed to Kill on blu-ray, which I've multiple times (5-6x) thought about, since now I can go straight to Criterion. There's a It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World blu-ray case on my shelf that always chuckles at me, and it sounds like Midnight Cowboy is about to have a big ol' laugh.

Lions Love (..And Lies) in the Agnès Varda in California box is a big deal.

The list:
Night and the City blu
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Dressed to Kill
Day for Night
Two Days, One Night
Eclipse Series 43: Agnès Varda in California

Gold Trumpet

This may be one of my favorite Criterion covers yet.

Two Days, One Night is awesome (great inclusion of a 1979 documentary) and happy to see blu ray for my favorite Jules Dassin flick.

Axolotl

wilder

He mentions Straight Time in the end so this is automatically worth posting

Jeremy Blackman

That was a strange experience. I kind of didn't want to find out how he really talks, or see his nipples so clearly.

jenkins

B&N sale is 7/7 to 7/27.

I already decided the three I'm going to buy: Badlands, Safe, Don't Look Now.

Although we'll see what happens in terms of whether I'll also buy The River and/or The Fisher King.

Has anyone seen The Fisher King recently? I'm being crazy about that? I can't remember.

jenkins

Convinced I need this, and/but/and last year I bought Brazil.

Plucked the three I was certain I would. Watched Don't Look Now first. No one edits like that anymore. No one pulls their red-jacketed daughter out of the pond like that anymore. I need to watch this special feature:

Nicolas Roeg: The Enigma of Film, a new piece on Roeg's style, featuring recent interviews with filmmakers Danny Boyle and Steven Soderbergh. I watched all the special features around Safe, and I watched Safe. Julianne Moore says she acts appropriate for the frame, appreciates when a director can tell her how her shot will be framed. I appreciate when she shrivels herself after her husband visits her sanctuary:

Her: Whoa. Watch it.
Him: All right?
Her: I think it might be your cologne.
Him: Honey, I'm not wearing any cologne.
Her: Maybe in the shirt.

Cinematically, Safe begins in medias res, with a car driving down a street at night toward a house alongside credits. And Safe's close is strong: a great location for a great moment to tie up the movie and character. That's right after a tonal perfect speech on her birthday. This kind of movie on paper and in my opinion when I watch it, this movie could bring me and polka into shared appreciation. I like when me and at least one other person I meet on this planet likes a movie. A movie friend of mine has been chatting about The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which I adored but don't own, though I own the book, because I needed in print that part that's my favorite part:

Quote"Right," Jackie Brown said. "Get out and go up the hill there, and get your friends and the rifles, and come back down here and we'll do business. Here, not there."
"Why?" the kid said.
"Because I think you need exercise," Jackie Brown said. "I'm afraid of horses. I like the moonlight. And I'm not so fucking stupid as to drive this car into the woods to find two other guys with machine guns who know I've got money. This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid. Now you go and get them, and I"ll be waiting here. When you come back I'll tell you what to do next. Move."

"I'm afraid of horses." Love it. The 60s and 70s were special with horses, I think. I want to get Renoir's The River, which of all the options packs the most dreams-per-minute. I'll be surprised if I don't end up buying The River, but I'm only going one more, and although I adjusted my Badlands situation, I still haven't dealt with replacing dvds I sold of George Washington, In the Mood for Love, The Double Life of Véronique, the Three Colors Trilogy... I still own dvds for Valerie and Her Week Of Wonders, The Merchant of Four Seasons,  a region 2 Judex I've never watched, The Killers... not to mention I could one day deal with my missing America Lost and Found: The BBS Story... I think eventually once I learn about this movie it'll be ridiculous I haven't already learned about this movie:

Mainstays like Godard's Every Man for Himself, Truffaut's The Soft Skin, for some reason I'm ignoring/not taking seriously Melville's Le silence de la mer, and I've previously boarded La Ciénaga but I'd go right back if not for competing interests. Etc.

wilder

jenkins

Criterion.com is having a 50% off flash sale until noon 10/7 ET.

if you only stream Criterion movies on Hulu you're smart. that's so cheap and easy. like many other aging people i make life hard on myself by not converting into newer and better forms of living. so i have to think about buying these movies, and lemme tell ya, Criterion is going to make the end of this year tricky.

i ordered Moonrise Kingdom, The Honeymoon Killers, and My Own Private Idaho. i consider that me covering the basics. mentioning that by the time the B&N sale comes along there'll also be Mulholland Dr., Code Unknown, the Apu Trilogy, and by the year's end there will be Ikiru, Jellyfish Eyes, and Burroughs: The Movie.

the elders would've called this a "terrific Criterion year, absolutely wonderful, oh-aw it's hard on my wallet."

the cover selected for Harold Lloyd's Speedy is fine enough, but it just makes me realize Criterion doesn't plan to release Clara Bow's It, from the previous year and how i think of that ride (does anyone know what this ride is called?)