PTA Fires Back!!!!!!!!!!

Started by depooter, November 17, 2003, 06:59:27 PM

ono

...but Alexander Payne didn't direct You Can Count on Me.  Kenneth Lonergan did.

Pubrick

haha SoNowThen doesn't know what he's talking about.

seriously tho, You Can Count on Me was beautiful.

this is the best part of the interview:

Quote from: depootergreat question
it's like he wasn't expecting it, after all the frivolous (yet well answered) ones.
under the paving stones.

Ernie

Alright, what I have now is not a complaint, I just had this idea though, just for future reference on future Q&A's. I'm starting to think maybe we shouldn't have hinted at knowing what kind of film he's making next. Maybe we should have just played dumb and pretended we knew nothing at all about it and maybe, in his answer, he would have clarified what we already knew AND told us a little bit more...maybe. I don't know for sure of course but I was thinking about that when I read it. Maybe he would have taken pity on our ignorance, who knows?

Anyways, that's just an idea, don't blow up at me for making a suggestion, this was the best Q&A...thanks again Greg.

One question - what does "noi albinoi" mean? He said it in his answer to question 5.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Onomatopoeia...but Alexander Payne didn't direct You Can Count on Me.  Kenneth Lonergan did.

Did I say he directed it? I said it felt like Payne on cruise control. In other words, Payne minus all redeemable qualities.

I thought the comparison would help you understand where I was coming from.

Quote from: Phaha SoNowThen doesn't know what he's talking about.

seriously tho, You Can Count on Me was beautiful..

Easy with the whip, beastmaster. See above.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Alright, just to elaborate, here is (briefly) where I stand on LOTR....

I've always wanted very badly to like it mainly because the people that do like it, REALLY like it, and it's always good to be a fan of something that has such a cult status. The trailers and all the hype is always fun to watch for me and I feel left out cause it doesn't affect me so much at this point. But I really really do want to have that passion for the trilogy that all those people do but really I haven't in the 2-3 times I've tried to watch the first one. I have always planned to try it out more as I know many that say it gets better with replays but I haven't really gotten the chance to. Plus there is a part of me that doesn't want to be a fan of it cause mythology has never been my cup of tea and if I was a fan, each dvd release of each movie is like a box set (that's a dent I don't need in the finances), and finally - I'm afraid I won't laugh as hard at Conan's recurring LOTR geek bashes if I become a fan myself. So, that's what I think, I felt a need to back up my opinion.

Now here comes the part where P says something to the affect of "Oh, silly ebeaman, your time to talk about LOTR ended about 10 posts ago, what are you trying to do?"...so let me also answer that while I'm at it too - I just needed a little time to gather my thoughts and as I said, I felt the need to back up my opinion that I realize many will disagree with. By the way, glad to see you back P.

One footnote (forgot to mention) - I have not seen the extended edition of FOTR and I haven't seen any of Two Towers. Only the regular of the first one, nothing else.

NEON MERCURY

well E..

i see what you mean....i say either the story grabs you and and you get sucked into it or..it doesn't....
i'm saying even if the story doesn't get you ..ONE HAS TO ADMIRE THE FILM ON ALL TECHNICAL LEVELS....
as for seeing the extended cuts..-don't bother, all they do is flesh out a story line that you dont take to likeing anyway....

aclockworkjj

Quote from: ©Radwho's bringing the smirnoff ice?
haha...ok fratboy...what's with the attitude lately?  it's not you.

but if you wanna show me how to drink sometime, we can do that too.

Ernie

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwell E..

i see what you mean....i say either the story grabs you and and you get sucked into it or..it doesn't....
i'm saying even if the story doesn't get you ..ONE HAS TO ADMIRE THE FILM ON ALL TECHNICAL LEVELS....
as for seeing the extended cuts..-don't bother, all they do is flesh out a story line that you dont take to likeing anyway....

Yea, see here's the thing - I've been told not to bother with the extended by some and told by others (SoNowThen for one) that it might completely change my opinion so...I think I may have to check it out. Either way, I'll end up seeing some version of it again...as I said, I always planned to.

And yes, I've always admired it on a technical level, absolutely...if in no other way. There's no question.

boombanglarrabee

Quote from: ebeamanOne question - what does "noi albinoi" mean?

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0351461/

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: NEON MERCURYONE HAS TO ADMIRE THE FILM ON ALL TECHNICAL LEVELS....

Yes, and everything about it visually. But like ebeaman I have never been able to connect emotionally to the movies. It has something to do with the writing and the acting (and the music).

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: NEON MERCURYONE HAS TO ADMIRE THE FILM ON ALL TECHNICAL LEVELS....

Yes, and everything about it visually. But like ebeaman I have never been able to connect emotionally to the movies. It has something to do with the writing and the acting (and the music).

...whats wrong w/the acting.???cheesy, overly dramatic.....????

..as for the music i thought was fine and builds/blends nicely and fits the feel/vibe of the film nicely.....

what did you not like about it?????

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...whats wrong w/the acting.???cheesy, overly dramatic.....????

Yes, especially with some actors. It's really in the dialogue, though, which is falsely archaic and incredibly whiny and annoying sometimes. It has that Disney quality that makes you realize how worthless most of the dialogue is the second time you watch the movie.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..as for the music i thought was fine and builds/blends nicely and fits the feel/vibe of the film nicely.....

It was even more overdramatic than the acting. Too twinkly and instructional. This is where you get sad. This is where you feel inspired. It really got in the way for me and I was actually scoffing at it during the movie.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: NEON MERCURY...whats wrong w/the acting.???cheesy, overly dramatic.....????

Yes, especially with some actors. It's really in the dialogue, though, which is falsely archaic and incredibly whiny and annoying sometimes. It has that Disney quality that makes you realize how worthless most of the dialogue is the second time you watch the movie.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..as for the music i thought was fine and builds/blends nicely and fits the feel/vibe of the film nicely.....

It was even more overdramatic than the acting. Too twinkly and instructional. This is where you get sad. This is where you feel inspired. It really got in the way for me and I was actually scoffing at it during the movie.

..i see your agruement.....which i understand....

i feel none of this personally..I guess, you really have to be into the story..and if it pushes/hits you then all of the supporting elements behind the story(FX, quality in acting, production design, score, etc..) just add to eveything........just a matter of opinion..i guess

one last thing though..>do you feel that "as a whole" that the LOTRs films are over-rated??????

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: NEON MERCURYone last thing though..>do you feel that "as a whole" that the LOTRs films are over-rated??????

Parts are overrated... the music, the acting (Orlando Bloom anyone?). Parts are underrated... the visual creativity (not the technical achievements) and even some of the acting (Ian McKellan).

Leatherface

Hi...

I don't know you guys or the board to well so my question might be a little dumb...

How did this interview come about?