Kubrick's Best Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:14:44 PM

dude

i am sure there is alot that can be said

Pwaybloe

That's probably the best avatar I've seen in a while.  Well... at least most original.

budgie

I saw The Shining yesterday, after a long time. Now I totally get it (the whole Kubrick deal), and yes, I agree, he's very clever, supremely so. Thank you to all the Kubrickians whose devotion has prompted my curious investigation over the past months, 'cause there's nothing like this feeling. It also makes this topic area superbly ironic, and that has to be reason enough for it to stay.

But Stanley, babe, you should get into a very sweaty fuck and/or a fistfight. I guarantee you'll feel so much better.

sphinx

a clockwork orange, eyes wide shut, and dr. strangelove register the most for me and are thus my favourite kubrick films.

Jeremy Blackman

2001 is probably his best, and maybe my favorite, but right now I am most mezmerized by Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket.

Newtron

Quote from: budgieI saw The Shining yesterday, after a long time. Now I totally get it (the whole Kubrick deal), and yes, I agree, he's very clever, supremely so. Thank you to all the Kubrickians whose devotion has prompted my curious investigation over the past months, 'cause there's nothing like this feeling. It also makes this topic area superbly ironic, and that has to be reason enough for it to stay.

But Stanley, babe, you should get into a very sweaty fuck and/or a fistfight. I guarantee you'll feel so much better.

I knew you'd come around...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: budgietotally get it (the whole Kubrick deal), and yes, I agree, he's very clever, supremely so

I think it's time for you to revisit Full Metal Jacket, probably his clever-est movie. Depending on what cleverness you're talking about.

"I say: deliver me from clever art"
- budgie 2003

Pedro

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

I think it's time for you to revisit Full Metal Jacket, probably his clever-est movie. Depending on what cleverness you're talking about.

Yes. Yes I will.

Note to self: always take Jeremy's advice in matters relating to Kubrick.

Question: I was right to be laughing, right? I mean, just rewire the fucking distributor cap and you're outta there!  :roll:

Edit: this post made me lose my grip!

life_boy

I just saw 'The Shining' and it was awesome!  A beautiful film and very scary.  It's not my favorite (yet....you know how Kubrick films do) but it is great!

bonanzataz

Shining was my first Kubrick film. When I was 7, I was extremely afraid of horror movies and wanted to get over that fear, so me and my mom went and rented a whole bunch of horror movies. Shining was at the top of my list. It was, and will always be, my favorite Kubrick.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

xerxes

i know i'm gonna get killed, but i think kubrick is a bit overrated. i don't deny that he was a very skilled director and he made some truly amazing films (strangelove, clockwork), but a good deal of them i find particularly un-exceptional.

Cecil

Quote from: xerxesi know i'm gonna get killed

is tuesday good for you?

no but seriously, youre entitled to your own opinion. but what is it that you find un-exceptional? you didnt name 2001, what didnt you like about that one?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: xerxesi know i'm gonna get killed, but i think kubrick is a bit overrated. i don't deny that he was a very skilled director and he made some truly amazing films (strangelove, clockwork), but a good deal of them i find particularly un-exceptional.

You should see Full Metal Jacket (never taken seriously enough) and Barry Lyndon (never seen at all) before you draw any conclusions.

xerxes

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
You should see Full Metal Jacket (never taken seriously enough) and Barry Lyndon (never seen at all) before you draw any conclusions.

i've actually seen both. now we i say that i find a lot of his movies "un-exceptional," that is not to say that I think they are bad films.

Quote from: cecil b. demented
no but seriously, youre entitled to your own opinion. but what is it that you find un-exceptional? you didnt name 2001, what didnt you like about that one?

as for 2001, i found some of it to be brilliant, but as a whole I just didn't like it too much.