Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

The Obstruction

It's now an hour since i last saw this film and i think it get's better everytime i see it.
I have seen the extra material and i must say that i find it kind of hard to see that Lars von trier should be mad you can call him excentrick but not mad.
Lars von trier's problem is that he always work together with this small actreses who wery easy gets sad, it works perfectly in the movies because if gives you this feeling of being a awfull person in an awfull world, but it still irretets me.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

rustinglass

I saw dogville confessions.I found it unsatisfying, I wanted to learn more about his way of filmaking, his struggles, his conception of ideas and, of course, torturing actors. The best documentary film about lars von trier is the humiliated, the only one that includes all of what I mentioned.
I disagree with paul bettany when he says that lars tried to do dogville before, but it turned into the idiots. I can understand why he would think that, karen is trier's previous female character that most resembles grace, but still, it's a fairly different theme.

He is excessivly excentric, and yes I do think he's crazy, nonetheless, a genious of film. You should take a look at the audio diary that he had during the making of the idiots, it's hard to see a filmaker more crazy than that, he says ridiculous, mad things.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

FooBoy

Quote from: The Silver BulletIt's just...oh, I don't know. I just don't know why you'd read about it in the "Now Showing" forum if you hadn't already seen it. Maybe in "The Grapevine", sure, but here, where people who have seen it are discussing it already?

That said, I see your point.

Well I'm reading this thread and haven't yet seen the film, simply because I'm interested in hearing what people thought of it. I didn't read your review yet though (although I'm sure it's great), since I guessed it may have a few spoilers in it.
->FooBoy

kotte

Quote from: rustinglassI disagree with paul bettany when he says that lars tried to do dogville before, but it turned into the idiots. I can understand why he would think that, karen is trier's previous female character that most resembles grace, but still, it's a fairly different theme.

Paul didn't actually mean it...he was frustrated and upset.
If you watch Dogville Confessions you'll see why he said it.

Fernando

*** MINOR SPOILERS ***

Saw it yesterday, and I have to admit that the first 15-20 minutes were almost unbearable to me, then the film just lifted off like a rockett, scene I found most beautiful was when Grace opens the curtains in the blind man's house.

Great film ideed.

Quote from: P
some obvious barry lyndon influence

From the very first shot I thought of BL, so I'm not crazy after all, or am I?

Aside from the music which other things did you find the influence of BL?

mogwai

Quote from: FernandoAside from the music which other things did you find the influence of BL?
the narration (by john hurt).

Alexandro

this is a great film...nicole should get another oscar,,,...

von trier IS MANIPULATIVE, but he¿s great at it, and makes a point...and he can say whatver the fuck he wants about the united states of america, as much as anyone else...

americans invade every country they want, not only with soldiers and guns but with ideology, movies and ways of life...so, in a sense, the whole world is american, and we all can say what we want about it. it doesn't matter if we haven't been there...sometimes i feel i know more about american history that about mexican history...that's the way it is...

in fact,s ometimes i think we all should be able to vote in america so when bush bombs our cities we can say: "well, I vote for him, I deserve it".

kotte

Lets try not to make this thread about politic...

The Obstruction

Quote from: rustinglassHe is excessivly excentric, and yes I do think he's crazy, nonetheless, a genious of film. You should take a look at the audio diary that he had during the making of the idiots, it's hard to see a filmaker more crazy than that, he says ridiculous, mad things.

I actully just saw the idiots the day after my last post, and i agree with you he must have been crazy on this stage of his life, but I think i was a good movie after all.
I saw a program on danish television a week ago called "de forhutlede" who was about theese "dogme brothers" and in that lars said to one of the women in the commity at cannes "I Don't take prices from italiens, thats a princip"
I don't know why i whrite this eccept that lars also said (as far as i remmeber) that mayby it was an act of excitment.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

rustinglass

Quote from: Alexandro
in fact,s ometimes i think we all should be able to vote in america so when bush bombs our cities we can say: "well, I vote for him, I deserve it".

There is a portuguese reporter that writes a weekly chronicle for the paper, and he says the same thing. He gives a lot of reasons why every citizen in the world should vote for the US president.

(for course he ommits the reasons why we shouldn't)
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

kotte

Quote from: kotteLets try not to make this thread about politic...

please...

mutinyco

I saw it last year. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. But I fell asleep. For all his creativity, VonTrier has made an excruciating film. The points are unsubstantiated and his story formula is tedious and SO manipulative at this point.

I wrote about the Barry Lyndon and Barton Fink references on MovieNavigator.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Fernando

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: FernandoAside from the music which other things did you find the influence of BL?
the narration (by john hurt).

Damn! Of course, I realized it just when I read it. I got mogged.

BTW, your current avatar is lovely.

mogwai

Quote from: FernandoI got mogged.
yeah... it's been a pleasure.

rustinglass

sad news: I heard that the american release will be the butchered 117min version :(
-Emir Kusturica