Punch-Drunk Love script online

Started by Disco Stu, July 08, 2003, 09:41:04 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: filmcriticHey, I was the one who found that address first! I posted it Sunday under "pdl scriptbook". :evil:

But this is the 'official' thread.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ono

I was just reading the PDL script online and I'm realizing again how brilliantly written it is, how true to life it is.  I highly suggest anyone who wants to write their own script read this one because it's just perfect.

One of the things I noticed was how much stuff was cut from it.  The instances of Barry waking up in different clothes that he went to sleep in: does anyone know what was up with this part?  Its meaning, or why it was cut?  Also, all of Barry's reactions to young children and babies: they're both just perfect.

Too many movies make a beeline from one point to another, but this one knows what life is like, and takes delight in looking at all the little things, through this wounded puppy Barry who sees things with a child's eyes.  Who sees how beautiful a baby is and starts to cry, who just wants someone to love, just like Donnie Smith in Magnolia.

Also, there are some things that were added to the script that made the film even better.  For example, the restaurant host's line "I'm gonna crack your fucking skull."  And how Barry says "Can I show you something please?"  The addition of the word "please" makes that line even greater because of the delivery Sandler gives, and the inherent politeness of it.

I think the reason this resonates with me so much is this is how I see things too.  In my writing, I try to incorporate the "little things" because they seem to stick out more for me, and they mean more.  I kind of cringe when all the critics of the movie miss this kind of thing (the subtleties that they're supposed to be trained to catch), because there is an unassuming insight behind all of it; that someone can perfectly touch on all these intangible things, these feelings, emotions, and facts of life, with all these simple lines of dialogue or small scenes.  Some great examples of this.

QuoteBARRY
           I get really sick of myself sometimes.
This line was cut, probably because something similar was left in the movie.  Barry says this to Lance, matter-of-factly, after going to one of many Smart And Final stores.  It's perfect, though, and would've have served a purpose quite well had it been left in, of all the bitterness and self-loathing people have who are victims of some sort of abuse, or are simply too hard on themselves.

QuoteINT. PLANE - IN FLIGHT - LATER

Barry sits. BEAT. HOLD. We hear the sound of a BABY CRYING.
He looks across the aisle and sees:

A small, THREE YEAR OLD CHILD crying, behind held by its
FATHER. The baby stops crying for a moment, calming down,
breathing heavy, looks around with wide eyes.

CU. BARRY.

HE WELLS WITH TEARS AND A SMILE, CRINGES IN HIS FACE AND WE
SEE THE BUILD UP OF EMOTION, HIS VEINS POP FROM HIS FACE AND
THEN HE SMILES LIKE CRAZY, SMILING AND SMILING AND SMILING,
BRIGHT RED AND PAINFUL.
The baby line I mentioned before.  Just a perfect scene characterizing Barry even more.  I think since Barry only cried on screen once, people laughed at it more.  I don't know if Sandler is capable of doing a real dramatic cry, and perhaps that's why he wasn't shown expressing this emotion more.  It would've been nice, though.

QuoteINT. ROYAL HAWAIIAN HOTEL ROOM - MOMENTS LATER

They're in bed making out with their clothes on and a light
on....they hold a second....

BARRY
           Do you wanna have sex?

LENA
           Yeah.

They take their shirts off.

LENA
           Press together. It feels good.

She cups his face with her hands and tenses;

LENA
           Oh my god, you are so adorable. I
           just....god dammit.

BARRY
           What's that? What is that that
           you're doing?

LENA
           I just...your face is so adorable
           and your cheek and your skin, I
           wanna bite it....I wanna bite your
           cheek and chew on it....god damn
           cute....fuck....

BARRY
           I know what you mean, I know what
           you mean, I get this feeling --

LENA
           ...what...?

BARRY
           IIIIIIIIIII don't want to hurt
           anything ever, but what I'm talking
           about is -- have you ever held a
           little puppy or a little kitten and
           it's just the cutest, softest, most
           precious thing in the world and out
           of the blue you get this feeling in
           your gut and all you wanna do is
           squeeze it. Just fuckin squeeze the
           shit out of it. To take a little
           puppy and smash its skull...just so
           precious, so beautiful. Just so god
           damn wonderful and cute you wanna
           smack it and kick it and love it.
           Fuck. I don't know. I don't know.
           And you, you.....I'm looking at you
           and I just....your face is so
           beautiful I just wanna smash it,
           just smash it with a sledgehammer
           and squeeze it...you're so pretty.

They kiss and kiss and kiss;

LENA
           I know. I know. I know. I just
           wanna chew your face and scoop out
           your beautiful, beautiful eyes with
           an ice cream scooper and eat 'em
           and chew 'em and suck on 'em. Fuck.

BARRY
           This is funny.

LENA
           Yeah.

BARRY
           This is nice.
Part of this was cut out, some was left in.  I think the beginning of the scene added even more tenderness and innocence and vulnerability to it, because rarely if ever do you see a guy ask a girl if she wants to have sex.  Usually there's the requisite pawing and groping, and it just happens.  But the asking, and then the action and dialogue that follows just gives the scene even more power.  Shame it was cut.

And, well, Barry's spiel about seeing something so beautiful he wants to smash it, well, it's just amazing.  Can't explain why.  It's something you either get or you don't.  And it really doesn't get any more perfect than that.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm glad the extra "making out" lines are out.  It would be taken the wrong way a lot more than the right.  It woudl be funny, and it's supposed to be, but too much detractong from what's really happening.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Page 90

SHOOTING SCRIPT (PINK REVISED) 06/20/01

SCENE XX (ADDITIONAL SCENE)

Barry and Lena on the street, CAMERA is behind them.
This is dawn or dusk.....they are sitting as if on a
park bench.....she turns to him, and then:

TRUCK DRIVES PAST going the opposite direction.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

oakmanc234

BARRY
Do you wanna have sex?

Man that would've been weird seeing Barry say that!
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

one of my favorite lines was a bit different in the script.  "i believe this is a small piano".  in the script it was "i don't know.  I think it's a piano...a small piano".

the way it is in the movie is much better: the delivery, the length and simplcity,  just perfect.

brockly

Quote from: ewardone of my favorite lines was a bit different in the script.  "i believe this is a small piano".  in the script it was "i don't know.  I think it's a piano...a small piano".

the way it is in the movie is much better: the delivery, the length and simplcity,  just perfect.

Actually it was "I beleive this is THE small piano" Even better.

Alethia

Quote from: Brock Landers
Quote from: ewardone of my favorite lines was a bit different in the script.  "i believe this is a small piano".  in the script it was "i don't know.  I think it's a piano...a small piano".

was it?  interesting........

Quote from: eward

No.. it wasn't...

It is "I believe this is a small piano"
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Alethia

brockly

Quote from: 82

No.. it wasn't...

Are you sure? I could have swarn I heard "the".

No.. it wasn't...

yes.. i am sure.. i double checked the movie.. it is.

brockly

No.. it wasn't...

yes.. i am sure.. i double checked the movie.. it is.

I just double checked as well. It's weird cause to me it still sounds like "THE". Your probably right though. Nevermind.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.