Stereotypes of a Film Snob

Started by Duck Sauce, March 25, 2003, 01:41:54 AM

ProgWRX

Quotethe easiest way to point out a film snob is the person that just won't watch a certain movie because they "know" that it's gonna be bad.
[/b]

I have to disagree with this though, i personally have a lot of movies that dont even interest me, and if i have the "Feeling" that its going to suck, im not going to waste my money on it.
-Carlos

RegularKarate

Yeah, that's not a sign of film snobbery.  You can pretty much know a film's gonna suck.

I mean you don't go and buy the new Celine Dion album because you know it's shit.

Same type of deal, I can tell that the next film Guy Ritchey (SP?) puts out is most likely going to be a pile of shit.  Granted, if evidence showed otherwise, I'd check it out, but you can pretty much get a feel for these things.

budgie

I agree. I rarely find myself seeing things I really hate and almost never see things I find bad. I'm always surprised at the number of entries in worst lists here, and wonder why some people bother watching shit when they seem to expect it to be shit (not talking good or funny shit just shit).

Cecil

sometimes ill give one of those i-know-its-gonna-be-bad films a try, but i always get dissapointed. like "dont say a word".... i was thinking "bah, maybe it isnt THAT bad"... yeah, famous last words

i dont know why i do it... i guess i need confirmation that i can still tell whats probably gonna suck without even seeing it.

moonshiner

well i guess i'm not really a film snob, phew...but to clarify there are times when our hunches are wrong, or there are times when we see movies only because we are with friends or someone who doesn't dismiss movies based on the fact that critics don't like it...the point is it is a little snobbish to not see movie because of a hunch or what our fav. critic said, but i'm not saying i'm above that....and yeah, Cecil B., Don't Say a Word was awful, but i recently saw the Ring because certain momentum pushed me to seeing it, and i thought it was pretty good, when my instinct was to dismiss it as bad without seeing it.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

snaporaz

this brings up another point...

how many of you decide whether or not to see a movie based on word-of-mouth, critical reviews, or just the way the trailer is done?

i base my decisions on these factors somewhat often. but i don't mean to se i won't waste my time on movies that other people say suck. i just won't bother wasting the money. i dunno. wierd to explain.

i am probably going to see the core this weekend, just because i want to know what the center of the earth looks like. the movie itself doesn't look that great, but i expect to not regret seeing it and to have a decent experience.

what does that have to do with anything? i don't know. but as for my original question...i'm realizing that those three factors are basically how everyperson decides on seeing any movie they watch...except maybe by reading a tantalizing synopsis on the back of a video box.

Born Under Punches

A film fan admires Werner Herzog's "Aguirre: the Wrath of God."

A film snob would chastise you, calling you a poser because "Everyone says they like 'Aguirre: the Wrath of God', and 'Signs of Life' is better.

polkablues

Quote from: budgieI agree. I rarely find myself seeing things I really hate and almost never see things I find bad. I'm always surprised at the number of entries in worst lists here, and wonder why some people bother watching shit when they seem to expect it to be shit (not talking good or funny shit just shit).

I think a lot of it is location oriented.  In the U.S., we're inundated with every crappy little piece of garbage that Hollywood cranks out, as well as the good ones, which float around like waterlilies in a septic tank.  A lot of the crap films don't necessarily make it to Britain and outlying lands, or if they do, not in the hyper-saturated extent that they do here.

Plus, I have a nasty habit of just going to the theatre and seeing whatever happens to playing at that moment.   :?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I gotta back up Polka's sentiments. I live in such a small city that we only have one place that shows movies, and it is a multi plex. To make it worse, it is a multi plex so far down on getting any good movies that could go to one, it only gets the worst of the worst. I've been forced to take in most movies I admire the most through video only, but even if I find the best of the best there, a desire to see movies on the big screen is too much of a need that if I lived in a major city, I wouldn't even bother going near most of the ones I see in my own city. It's just the place I live.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Living in a big city is such a beautiful thing when it comes to movies. And thank God for Landmark Theatres.

Duck Sauce

The Bay Area is a pretty film conscious area, if its not in my town its in the next over, or at most Berkeley or SF

budgie

Quote from: polkabluesI think a lot of it is location oriented.  In the U.S., we're inundated with every crappy little piece of garbage that Hollywood cranks out, as well as the good ones, which float around like waterlilies in a septic tank.  A lot of the crap films don't necessarily make it to Britain and outlying lands, or if they do, not in the hyper-saturated extent that they do here.

I don't know whether I'm lucky to have that filter or whether my moviegoing is being censored. I guess the flipside is that I miss out on the interesting independents and a glimpse of the 'real' America.  :yabbse-undecided:

QuotePlus, I have a nasty habit of just going to the theatre and seeing whatever happens to playing at that moment.   :?

That's not nasty, it's well-adjusted.

How often do people go to cinemas, though? I normally make once a week, this week I'll see The Seventh Seal and Rules of Attraction and possibly Jackass. I'm always awestruck by how many films everyone has seen, how do you do it? I spose it's just we never had movies when I was a kid, just crayons.  :cry:

Duck Sauce

Sometimes I get in a roll where I will see like 15 movies in a week and goto the theater 3 times, and then there are sometimes like right now where i havent watched a movie in 5 days, Im just not in the mood. Im always amazed by the people here who have seen every movie.

cine

Quote from: budgieI spose it's just we never had movies when I was a kid, just crayons.  :cry:

Trivia alert: the cinema is older than crayons.

©brad

sweet jesus, someone's a little post-happy today. too many posts and no sex make cbrad go crazy

u don't have to have an opinion about everything