best films about serial killers

Started by pete, January 24, 2004, 07:50:28 PM

Gloria

Quote from: polkablues"The Minus Man", kiddos.  "The Minus Man".

Good call.....definitely a great serial killer movie.  Owen Wilson is just amazing.  I believe he gives his finest performance here.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: CinephileMonster.

Period.
is it really that good?  i keep going back and forth between being interested in seeing it or not.  i am curious to see Charlize performance, but dont think i'll like the movie.
Well I can't convince you one way or another. But let's put it this way: You're Mini-Mac and Mac loved it too. So get in line.  :P

Shaggy

Just thought I'd add:

Kalifornia
Ted Bundy

modage

Quote from: filmboy70I recommend THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, starring Robert Mitchum.  :yabbse-thumbup:
i just watched this tonite also and it was pretty good.  robert mitchum as a phony preacher was very very creepy.  there was also some fantastic black and white cinematography, really cool shots like mitchums entrance to the kids house where his shadow looms on the wall before you see him and pretty much everytime he was standing outside somewhere being creepy.  good movie, pretty daring for 1955 too as far as a guy trying to kill little kids you would think?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

i agree with Cine, Monster, hands down.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Banky

i cant beleive that only one person has listed Copycat.  I think that it is very underrated and almost on par with the Godfather of the genre SOTL.

mutinyco

Most serial killers have nothing to do with what serial killers really are. That's why most of them suck. I mean, technically, wouldn't Halloween be considered a serial killer movie?

I'd just go with Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

godardian

Peeping Tom and Felicia's Journey make a great double feature for this thread...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

how timely for me...

On the eve of the release of Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 2, the second installment to his epic revenge saga, the director talks to L.A. Weekly's John Powers about the film, his future and even his admiration for Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ: "This is like the most visual movie by an actor since Charles Laughton made Night of the Hunter. No, this is 15 times more visual than that." On his own work, Tarantino is no less complimentary. "There definitely was a gigantic kicking up of my cinematic style," he says. "There was an aspect of Kill Bill where I thought, 'I want to see how good I really am. I think I'm good." What does film critic Powers say? "Tarantino pulls off a triumphant piece of cinematic jujitsu."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

molly

can't think of any specific movie about serial killers, but i love those police/court shows such as Law & Order. Have you watched Homicide-Life on the Street? Not sure if this is the exact name...

Sanjuro

"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

cine

mutinyco

Good choice. Though I'm sure most people won't have a clue who that picture is of...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sanjuro

"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Thrindle

Does Texas Chainsaw Massacre count, seeing as it was based (very very very very very loosely) on Ed Gein?
Classic.