xixax picture blurb combo

Started by socketlevel, February 02, 2010, 03:55:34 PM

socketlevel

i logged on today and got mike myers from wayne's world holding up a Pepsi can with the blurb "surprisingly non-catholic" beside it, was kinda funny cuz it looked like a tag to a cola ad from the early 90s. something that could almost be in the dudley moore flick "crazy people" which is quite a charmingly funny film, mainly due to the mock ads.  they really are the genius element of that film.  some classics from the flick are:

"Forget Paris. The French can be annoying. Come to Greece. We're nicer."

"Come ... IN the Bahamas"

"Jaguar -- the car for men who want handjobs from beautiful women"

For a new horror movie called The Freak, the ad campaign states: "It won't just scare you, it will fuck you up for life!"

i refreshed the page a few times to get other combos and they weren't nearly as rewarding. Is "surprisingly non-catholic" a quote from a movie or something? like possibly kevin smith's dogma? i had smile on my face for a few mins after seeing that, was just so random and fitting at the same time.

...but it popped back in my mind later. upon further musing I gotta say, to whoever does the blurbs, "surprisingly non-catholic" is kinda safe. i only really liked it's effect on the pepsi shot. if it's not from something and there is no context or inside joke i'm missing out on, it kinda feels like nerf rebellion. i know it's a joke but if you had put "surprisingly non-jewish" for example, considering this is a film appreciation site that mainly celebrates hollywood movies, that would actually be a surprise worthy of BULLWORTH status. it's also easy to joke at catholics over jews due to the sensitivity of the issue, which is lame. in fact, ironically, there is nothing surprising about it being non-catholic, it's expected.

oh and BTW i'm not a follower of either religion, just think the joke is more effective the other way.

anyway totally random lol, but 'idle chatter' in my head.
the one last hit that spent you...

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

what? how was that offensive? are you knee jerking on me? or was that your handiwork?

i love/hate catholics and jews alike (or any other religion/atheist), and it's annoying i have to state that as a defense tbh. i'm not hating here, this is an analysis of what is considered safe or taboo. so i can't analyze how the joke comes across? if someone spent the time and thought process to make a joke "surprisingly non-catholic" (a joke i liked i might add, only thought would be more ballsy altered) how am i in any way off base with what i said as a response? honestly sorry if i offended, but if you're pissed at my comments you should read into my intentions. and if you can't or won't all i can say is you should be equally offended by the original blurb, because it is no weaker a claim then my own. i guess your reaction is why it can only be "surprisingly..." the way it is. which is kinda my original point.

why'd it have to go this way...
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Fuck this. Let's go get some ribs or something. I'm starving.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

the picture blurb combo is also known as the marquee

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on September 16, 2009, 04:15:31 PM
Xixax - We Even Have A Thread Wherein Which We Discuss What The Randomized Marquee May Once Say
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.