(Wes Anderson) Hotel Chevalier

Started by modage, August 21, 2007, 09:49:54 AM

Stefen

Natalie Portman is the most beautiful woman walking the earth today.

Those bruises were a turn off though, but I guess that was kind of the point. A few weeks I almost got a chance to make out with the hottest girl I've ever made out with, but when she took her shirt off she had all kinds of bruises. I grabbed her by the arm and kicked her out of my moms house. It was such a turn off.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Heinsbergen

fuckin great short. but if wes is your favorite director, you can't be dissapointed i guess. his use of cinemascope is one of the greatest things in contemporary cinema. i mean he's in a damn hotel room and it looks so brilliantly beautiful. darjeeling will kick serious ass.
when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: picolas on September 27, 2007, 09:00:31 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1HD66L70

i have been told this is a wmv without password protection. i will edit/verify soon.

edit: this is the real deal, but the quality is low. it may not be any lower than the itunes version though.

this is pic o'las, signing off.

Thanks a lot!

And now... I don't think I can ever stop listening to Where Do You Go To My Lovely...

Kal

Hopefully the movie is a lot better than this short.

A Matter Of Chance

I think Luke Wilson was better in Jason's role.

Stefen

Quote from: kal on October 01, 2007, 04:55:13 PM
Hopefully the movie is a lot better than this short.

Care to elaborate?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

i've nothing to complain about with this short, noting that this is just a piece of the larger film, it's harder for me to judge it without seeing the rest of the work.
Besides that, it touched me on a personal levelthat's what she said, since I'm going through very similar times as Schwartzman's character.
This functions well for what it is. I got a very real sense of the relationship and the emotions Schwartzman's character is trying to get away from, and perhaps the reason he accepts his brother's invitation to India(?). This only furthers my strong desire to see the complete film.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

Portmans introduction is so cold and distant.

He answers the door and she's talking on the phone signaling her mind is elsewhere. That was really cruel.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Stefen on October 02, 2007, 08:52:24 PM
Portmans introduction is so cold and distant.

He answers the door and she's talking on the phone signaling her mind is elsewhere. That was really cruel.

That's what makes it kind of heartbreaking...
Si

tpfkabi

last i checked it wasn't on youtube.

although i only watch youtube at work and this sounds not safe for work...i wanna see though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Kal

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: bigideas on October 03, 2007, 10:26:43 PM
last i checked it wasn't on youtube.

although i only watch youtube at work and this sounds not safe for work...i wanna see though.
it's been on Google Video for a couple of days and my myspace page.......

Quote from: SoNowThen on October 04, 2007, 12:29:33 AM
http://www.madwell.com/flash/hotel.htm

(for those who can't/won't go the iTunes route)

the aspect ratio seems to have slimmed a bit.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Portman revealed at Anderson's 'Hotel'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- When Wes Anderson's "The Darjeeling Limited" expands Friday to about 600-700 screens, moviegoers will get two unexpected treats: his 13-minute "Part 1" intro to the film, "Hotel Chevalier," and the first big-screen glimpse of star Natalie Portman's bare derriere.

Aside from providing a distraction from publicity over "Darjeeling" star Owen Wilson's late August suicide attempt, the big-screen "Chevalier" bow capitalizes on Portman's decision to do nude scenes after years spent resisting it. She asked director Mike Nichols to remove the nudity from her portrayal of a stripper in "Closer" and used a body double in Milos Forman's "Goya's Ghosts."

When asked why she agreed to do the brief scenes, Portman said: "I don't know why, exactly. Sometimes you make rules for yourself and sometimes those rules are made to be broken. You have to test things out and see what works for you, and this felt right."

"I begged Wes to work with me and show me a script" since they met more than three years ago, she said. "I really loved it. He has the finest taste possible."

Clearly, money wasn't part of Portman's motivation. Unlike the $12.5 million Demi Moore received for her topless role in 1996's "Striptease," Portman and Schwartzman weren't paid anything for the low-budget, two-day shoot filmed with two cameras donated by Panavision.

There's nothing prurient about the two nude shots -- aside from the rear, another shows her like a statue from the side in a pose that wouldn't be out of place in an Annie Leibovitz photo shoot.

Anderson shot "Chevalier" on his own dime a year before the feature as the back story for the character of "Darjeeling" co-star/co-screenwriter Jason Schwartzman. Anderson debated incorporating the tale of a reunion between two estranged lovers into the feature, showing it with the film (as it screened during its New York Film Festival premiere) or keeping them separate. He eventually decided to release it for free on Apple's iTunes Store three days before "Darjeeling's" limited release Sept. 29 and slot it as a DVD extra.

"Darjeeling" has taken in nearly $4 million in its limited release. But while critical reaction has been mixed for Anderson's reunion with his "Rushmore" star Schwartzman, the short has received more widespread acclaim.

Portman's brief, wordless appearance near the end of "Darjeeling" has been as mystifying to many moviegoers as the promotional intro before showings to date, which suggests that they download the short to get some background on the film they're about to watch.

At the Apple Store Soho premiere of "Chevalier" in New York, Anderson voiced several concerns on how to present the short, ideally mirroring the jump in time between Schwartzman's character's Parisian romantic interlude and his train trip across India.

"Ideally, I wanted someone to watch the short, take a break, think about it for a week and then watch the feature," he said. "That's kind of hard to organize at a multiplex."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Darjeeling' to Be Paired With a Short
Source: New York Times

"The Darjeeling Limited," Wes Anderson's fifth feature film, opened to mixed reviews in about 200 theaters on Sept. 29, but for its wider release to almost 800 theaters, next Friday, moviegoers will first see a short film — one that got rave reviews — and, the hope is, "The Darjeeling Limited" will get a bump in ticket sales.

A year before filming "The Darjeeling Limited," Mr. Anderson made a 13-minute movie called "Hotel Chevalier" featuring one of the characters from "The Darjeeling Limited." The short, in contrast to the feature, received nearly universal praise when it was shown alongside the longer film at some festivals. After being made available free on iTunes, it quickly became an online hit and has been downloaded nearly 500,000 times.

Now Mr. Anderson and Fox Searchlight Pictures, the film's distributor, are adding the popular short to the start of the feature as sort of preface to the main movie.

"The Darjeeling Limited" is about three brothers, played by Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson and Jason Schwartzman, traveling together in India on a spiritual quest. "Hotel Chevalier," which Mr. Anderson wrote, takes place in a fancy hotel room in Paris and tells some of the "back story" of Mr. Schwartzman's character, Jack.

The short also stars Natalie Portman, and though she does not appear in the feature, her character is important to it, Mr. Anderson said in an e-mail message. (And just as important for publicity, the short features Ms. Portman's first nude scene.)

Mr. Anderson, who paid to make the short himself, said he was not sure how its distribution would be handled. "The Darjeeling Limited" has a distinct "opening of the story" sequence that made him "reluctant to attach the short to it." But he knew that he wanted audiences to see both films, "So it was a puzzle for me to decide how I wanted to present them."

After some discussion with executives at Fox Searchlight the decision was made to offer it on iTunes (and since Mr. Schwartzman's character pointedly uses an iPod and docking station, there was some inherent synergy there).

Nancy Utley, a chief operating officer of Fox Searchlight, said that her company did not even know about the short until "The Darjeeling Limited" was completed. Even though Fox was aware of the critical acclaim, the company decided not to release it along with the feature. She said Fox decided to remain "flexible" on what to do.

"We thought it would be too challenging to moviegoers to be exposed to the short in theaters right at the beginning of the run," she said. "We wanted to make sure 'The Darjeeling Limited' got established first as a movie."

With the wider release looming and "Darjeeling Limited" doing small business at the box office (just over $2.5 million so far), it seemed the obvious choice to include the film's more popular little sibling as a bonus. Fox Searchlight also is hoping the short is Oscar-worthy and plans to promote it as a contender in the best live-action short category.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks