Favorite Fritz Lang

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, July 07, 2003, 01:13:07 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

What's your favorite Fritz Lang movie and why? My favorite is M, since it really set the stage for suspense movies in later years. Anyone else?

Nick

Ghostboy

My favorite is M as well, but I've only seen that and Metropolis. I really want to see his Ring cycle, since that just got released on DVD.

TheVoiceOfNick

I love Metropolis too... and I must admit that these are my only two Fritz Lang movies as well... I really should see more. Are there others besides these three on DVD?

Nick

bonanzataz

fritz who?

just kidding.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

chainsmoking insomniac

I've only seen M.  There were one or two scenes in it that I really liked, but I found it too dated for my tastes.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

modage

Quote from: GhostboyMy favorite is M as well, but I've only seen that and Metropolis.

ditto.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Royal Tenenbaum

Fritz Lang? I hate it when people name drop.

Ravi

I've only seen M and Metropolis, but I liked M better, considering I saw the crappy Moroder version of Metropolis with the cheesy 80s music.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Royal TenenbaumFritz Lang? I hate it when people name drop.

My best friend Brad Pitt doesn't like that either.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Wow. I've actually seen two other Fritz Lang movies. "The Woman in the Window" and "Scarlet Street" with Edward G. Robinson. Two slick film noirs. But I prefer "M". Perhaps I'll prefer "Metropolis" once I see the Kino DVD over the VHS I have.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cinephile"The Woman in the Window"

That is a damn great film noir. The perfect femme fatale played by Joan Bennett, and Edward G. beautifully plays against type.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

01. Scarlet Street A++
02. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse A++
03. M B+
04. The House by the River B
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Alethia

Quote from: CinephileWow. I've actually seen two other Fritz Lang movies. "The Woman in the Window" and "Scarlet Street" with Edward G. Robinson. Two slick film noirs. But I prefer "M". Perhaps I'll prefer "Metropolis" once I see the Kino DVD over the VHS I have.

ive seen three.  M, Metropolis, and Scarlet Street.  My favorite, honestly, would have to be Scarlet Street.

SoNowThen

Nobody mentioned THE BIG HEAT!

I just saw it last night, and damn damn damn is it good! It's practically the template for every cop (revenge) drama to come since. And none of them have been better.

The more I see her, the more I realize what a talent Gloria Grahame was. And Lang's framing and camera moves are nice and aggressive and exciting.

But best of all is a young Lee Marvin at his most vicious. There's one scene, man, I've always wanted to put one like it in a movie, I just never realized how fucked up and sick it actually plays out to be.

Really, I stress to all who haven't seen it, it's a slick, short, fun cop movie. Check it out.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

i've only seen "M" "Scarlet Street" and "The Woman in the Window" and out of those, though they are all quite good, my favorite is "Scarlet Street"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?