Comics

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 29, 2009, 12:49:53 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm not a fan of webcomic format.  For a while, I tried scanning in stuff I drew (but this was from back in high school) which can be found here.  I may have posted some of it here when I began working on it, but I don't really remember nor is it really the point.

I have been working on a bunch of new comics, mostly in the form of graphic novel (though I still prefer calling them comics).  My goal is to self publish and print them, so if anyone would like a copy once those steps are achieved, I'll begin by printing a few test runs.  However, the test printings will be issues to a series I'm developing on the side of doing graphic novels so I can get practice printing.  I prefer more contained stories than ongoing serials, but it should still be fun.

I also do one pagers, but not as often.  Here's one of the only ones I have a decent scan of:

And if you don't mind reading PDF's, I can e-mail the first issue out.  I prefer tangible paper to read in my hands, but if anyone wants to see them, I'm open to showing them.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

The lettering needs to be clearer and bigger.  20/20, and I can barely read it -- not gonna try more right now, so can't really comment on the content.  Other than that, good luck.  I may be interested in a copy.  Now, is this art final?  Gonna go over the outlines in ink and solidify the colors, or is this your style?

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Walrus on October 29, 2009, 12:49:53 AM
I'm not a fan of webcomic format.  For a while, I tried scanning in stuff I drew (but this was from back in high school) which can be found here

I enjoyed these. Did you finish the story?

Pwaybloe

I like the layout from above: 4 separate comic strips on top of a drawn background.  The contrast of the b/w characters and the colored backgrounds are very nice.  For color, you may want to try watercolor instead of chalk.  That should satisfy the smearing problems.  Use a fine tip ink pen for outlining the characters and dialogue balloons.  Also, just a personal opinion, the use of curse words seems immature.  Or does that explain the male character?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: ono on October 29, 2009, 01:41:30 AM
The lettering needs to be clearer and bigger.  20/20, and I can barely read it -- not gonna try more right now, so can't really comment on the content.  Other than that, good luck.  I may be interested in a copy.  Now, is this art final?  Gonna go over the outlines in ink and solidify the colors, or is this your style?

The lettering has been an issue to me since I've been adjusting to try work in different sheet size formats, so sometimes that can be a little tricky for me.  For this one page, the art was final because I wanted it to look relatively rough.  I try a lot of different formats and drawing styles, once I get my hands on a nice scanner, I'll try to post some of my other stuff.  The issues of comics I'm trying to print is in a very rough, sketchy ball point pen.  Sometimes I use microns, which is so beautiful.

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on October 29, 2009, 02:50:09 AM
I enjoyed these. Did you finish the story?

I never did.  I had a plan on where to take it, but I was working on it before I moved out of my parents' house (where the scanner was).  Having less access to them, I just started working on other stuff like short films and stuff so that series didn't get finished, though I'd like to take it where I had planned. 

Quote from: Pwaybloe on October 29, 2009, 01:55:16 PM
I like the layout from above: 4 separate comic strips on top of a drawn background.  The contrast of the b/w characters and the colored backgrounds are very nice.  For color, you may want to try watercolor instead of chalk.  That should satisfy the smearing problems.  Use a fine tip ink pen for outlining the characters and dialogue balloons.  Also, just a personal opinion, the use of curse words seems immature.  Or does that explain the male character?

Yeah, it was meant to be immature characters, people that don't really change much or are stuck in a certain persona, like they had locked each other into childish attitudes.  I'm glad you picked up on that actually, because I thought I had gone about that a little too subtly.  I didn't use chalk, I actually used pastel but for the look of chalk with better blending properties.  It has a really sharp brilliance in terms of color, but the borders blend and even have smears of foreign colors, and I really liked how that fit the comic for me.

I haven't messed with watercolor much yet, but I would love to.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I'll post some more soon.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Normally my tendency is to attempt larger projects as graphic novels to really explore my characters and environment and such.  But it dawned on me that these would be hard to print, and as such, I need practice printing and binding.  So I began working on a series, and I recently finished my initial run.  I have a lot of prints of it now.  I'm selling them for $2 apiece (which is about as bare as I can get for the printing).  Though, in more actuality, I'm more concerned with people having my comic than profiting at this point.

So, if anyone would like an issue, please PM me your address, and I will ship a copy to you.  Details below...

Lock N Load is basically the most gritty comic I could imagine.  It's a challenge to myself to exhibit the most perverse and violent underworld, where it's never clear if the cops are brutal because the city is inherently evil or if their brutality is fueling the fire.  I'm almost finished with the second issue, so that should be out soon as well.