Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

Kal

Roger is starting to become one of my favorite characters. His reaction to the engagement was priceless: "Who's that?"

Don is becoming more like Roger, which is also funny.

The finale was great. The agency stuff worked because it proved that they will survive for now and instead of worrying about it they are back in attack mode.

I also think the douche husband is going to leave Betty and she will try to commit suicide or something. It seems she is about to lose it completely any second.

Regardless of the finale, what I love is that once again we have no idea what to expect. There are so many possibilities for what will happen next season, and that is the beauty of this show pretty much after every season.

modage

Matt Weiner: "These Are The Last Three Seasons Of 'Mad Men'"
Source: Deadline

"I'm thrilled," a happy Matt Weiner said in a phone interview shortly after his new three-year $30 million deal for Mad Men was announced. He is going back to work tomorrow, the writers room will get up-and-running in 4-5 weeks, and production on the much-delayed Season 5 of the Emmy-winning AMC drama will start in July, the same month the fifth season was originally slated to premiere.

But the deal almost didn't happen. "I walked away from it 4-5 times in the last few days," said Weiner who had been objecting to several proposals made by series producer Lionsgate TV and network AMC, including shortening the episodes' running time from 47 to 45 minutes to make room for more commercials, introducing more product placement, potentially reducing the number of regulars on the show and pushing Season 5's premiere to March 2012. "It's never been about money," Weiner said. "I wanted to do the show I wanted to do and the show the audience has come to expect."

Now, "the cast is safe from financial concerns" for all 3 seasons, Weiner said, adding that he reserves the right to cut actors "on creative basis."

In terms of product placement, Weiner said that there will be no changes to the series' existing policy. He noted that there have been only 3 instances of product placement in Mad Men's first four seasons. "I don't want the audience to feel they are being sold on the show," he said.

Additionally, Weiner will be able to continue to do 47-minute versions of Mad Men's 13-episode Season 5 for VOD, DVD and all auxiliary platforms, though on AMC, Episodes 2-12 will air 45-minute cuts made by Weiner. (The season premiere and finale will remain 47 minutes.)

The only thing Weiner and AMC couldn't agree on was the return date for Mad Men. Weiner had insisted on a 2011 Season 5 premiere but he said AMC had informed him back in October that, because they have 4 series to accommodate, no premiere before March 2012 would be possible.

While the pickup of Mad Men is for 2 more seasons, Weiner's 3-year deal with Lionsgate makes that essentially a 3-year renewal. "These will be the last 3 seasons" of the period drama, Weiner said. "I'm going to take it one year at a time without the distraction to ever have to go through this again," he added, referring to the long, tense renegotiations. "I'm incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support and overwhelmed that I get to finish telling the stories I want to tell."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Just finished season 1. It's good, real good.

But do you find it's really well written? Some of the writing i find borderline. But i notice that sometimes i will be critical of the writing of really good tv shows. I guess because i hold them to a higher standard, a film standard.

I can't understand peopl who say the show is slow? It's not slow at all, there are always 100 stories going on. I don'tget it, i almost find it too fast  :shock:

classical gas

i hate to gossip, but after watching the first episode of this show, i wandered over to imdb and looked at Christina Hendricks bio and found that she is married to someone just as disproportionate as a tina fey or cate blanchett are to their significant others.  it isn't that i mind this, because it's a win for the egghead, but just look at this photo:

NSFW:  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm622887168/nm0034309

and tell me who wins the title for the luckiest man alive....

Jeremy Blackman

I don't know, that's kind of... scary.

Stefen

THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!  :yabbse-angry: :yabbse-angry: :yabbse-angry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

Rly?

the "snozzberries taste like snozzberries" mushroom tripping guy in the backseat in Super Troopers is banging Joan. That fucking sucks.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

You're kidding, right? One, this isn't news, and two, it gives hope to dorky-looking guys everywhere.

Bethie

I only started watching Mad Men recently, I'm into season 4. I'm considering being Joan for Halloween. I've been working on her voice while at work and I've been answering the phone by saying, "Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce."
who likes movies anyway

©brad

I had a dream last night that I interviewed at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. I've been interviewing at various New York agencies lately so it makes sense.

It didn't go well.

O.

Can someone tell me what will compel me to watch this show? I saw maybe the first four episodes and thought to myself "what's tying this show together? what's keeping me going?" I recall it feeling like a soap drama with outstanding production value, but there never seemed to be a central conflict.

Can anyone show me otherwise?
superb

Ravi

Quote from: O on October 12, 2011, 09:04:27 AM
Can someone tell me what will compel me to watch this show? I saw maybe the first four episodes and thought to myself "what's tying this show together? what's keeping me going?" I recall it feeling like a soap drama with outstanding production value, but there never seemed to be a central conflict.

It takes some time to develop, and it doesn't have constant cliffhangers or anything. Watch at least the first season and you'll see what the show is going for.

ono

It's back.  And I remember what I love about this show.  It's like getting lost in a dream where you're transported to a different time.  It's a different effect based on whether or not you were alive for the real thing.  It's a dream heavy in atmosphere that makes you want to kick off your shoes and stay awhile.  I was very conscious of this during the party scene, which in retrospect will be one of the best scenes of the series.

I don't think Don's falling anymore.  He's floating by.  I liked seeing him with his kids.  He's settled into a bit of stability in every which way, but in his complacency he's big now in name only.  Pete is the real big man, and I find myself rooting for him oddly even though in years past I hated him.  Don's wife is hot.  Yay for "Zou Bisou."  And that scene on the floor when she was cleaning in her underwear.  Wow.  Roger's an asshole, but has earned it.  Joan lights up the screen as always.  I miss Sal.  Random.  It's been so long since I've seen this that I forget whatever happened to him.  Need to go back and watch the Blu-Rays.  I started when I got them cheap over winter, but got sidetracked and never followed through.  Anyway, there's my stream of consciousness bs.  Welcome back, show.

polkablues

This was the most I've liked the show in a while. It was in danger of becoming a show that I respected more than I enjoyed, but that's all turning around if the premiere was any indication.
My house, my rules, my coffee