underrated pop music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 04:06:39 PM

freakerdude

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: freakerdude

Corporate, mass produced, sugar coated music (sang by a sexy lip sync'er) made to SELL to a target audience of 16 and under is what I call pop.

Isn't that distinction completely arbitrary, though? How long has pop music existed? Since New Kids on the Block?

Weren't blues 78s their era's version of pop? Noel Coward? Kurt Weill? Were they "sugar-coated" or sung by sexy lip-syncers?

See what I mean about this kind of distinction coming from lack of perspective?
Since I am 40 yo, I remember pop as a kid being Elton John, CCR, The Who, Mamas & Papas, Kinks, Beetles, Stones, etc. I agree but there is a definite distinction between today's pop stars and the days of The Beetles, Beach Boys, Frankie Valli. It's all relative to one's own perspective, just like you said.

Kev's right, I don't see a need to try and define it even though I was guilty of it.
MC Pee Pants

mogwai

ah, my prayers has finally been answered:

Timberlake Punched in the Face

Pop star Justin Timberlake was punched in the face by a fan as he walked into his end-of-tour party in London on Sunday. The hunky American singer was reportedly hit as he entered the Rex Club in Soho following the last date in his British tour, so he refused to come out and meet his many female fans waiting outside the venue for fear he would again be assaulted. A source says, "All the girls were outside waiting for him and someone went to ask his people if he was coming out to sign autographs. One of his minders came out and said that Justin wouldn't be coming out. He said someone had hit him in the face as he went inside. Apparently he got a real crack as he walked in the place and he was worried he might get attacked again." Inside the venue Justin told reporters, "It is just crazy over here in Britain, I f***ing hate coming over here."

godardian

Quote from: mogwaiah, my prayers has finally been answered:

Pop star Justin Timberlake was punched in the face by a fan as he walked into his end-of-tour party in London on Sunday. The hunky American singer was reportedly hit as he entered the Rex Club in Soho following the last date in his British tour, so he refused to come out and meet his many female fans waiting outside the venue for fear he would again be assaulted. A source says, "All the girls were outside waiting for him and someone went to ask his people if he was coming out to sign autographs. One of his minders came out and said that Justin wouldn't be coming out. He said someone had hit him in the face as he went inside. Apparently he got a real crack as he walked in the place and he was worried he might get attacked again." Inside the venue Justin told reporters, "It is just crazy over here in Britain, I f***ing hate coming over here."

It was you, wasn't it? Wasn't it??
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

hahahahahahahahaha
I love it
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

i actually like they guy .  i wouldn't buy records but he's ok.
context, context, context.

mogwai

Quote from: godardianIt was you, wasn't it? Wasn't it??
okay... yes, it was me. but don't tell anyone.

Slick Shoes

I have been socked in the face by a complete stranger before.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Justin TimberlakeIt is just crazy over here in Britain, I f***ing hate coming over here.
Isn't that what Michael Moore said?

Ravi

Anyone have a video of this?

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiTimberlake Punched in the Face

Pop star Justin Timberlake was punched in the face by a fan
that was the funniest part.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai

...... :cry:  me a river....OOOOh baby !!!

pookiethecat

i think the point of this thread was to voice our opinions on people like justin timberlake, aguilera...to show that there IS some intelligence in the product that is massively appealing and corporate-dominated.  sort of like asking "what's your favorite big budget blockbuster..."  ...despite that it's so smugly popular that most instinctively hate it, there may be some artistry to it...i think it's important to discern that just as not all indie music is good, all 'pop' (in the new sense) music is not bad.  

to get this topic back on track, i'd say sheryl crow, ace of base, soul decision (faded is a masterpiece) 80's madonna, 'dreams' by Gabrielle, TLC...as for current pop, Outkast takes the cake.  their stuff is infectious...and I love Christina Aguilera's Beautiful album.
i wanna lick 'em.

Gloria

Quote from: pookiethecatand I love Christina Aguilera's Beautiful album.

I'm also guilty of this. I really can't get enough of the song 'I'm Okay.' Really powerful vocals and lyrics.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

I hate Sheryl Crowe with every bone in my body. I can't exactly explain it.