TWBB DVD

Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2008, 02:28:24 PM

private witt

Quote from: 72teeth on April 12, 2008, 01:06:55 PM
Quote from: private witt on April 10, 2008, 03:18:17 AM
1. Drink once for every time a man dies in the shaft.
2. Drink once for every time Daniel takes a drink.
3. Drink twice every time H.W. takes a drink.
4. Drink once for every time somebody SAYS the word 'blood'.
5. Drink twice for every time somebody SINGS the word 'blood'.
6. Drink once for every time Eli Sunday says the word 'ghost'.
7. Drink twice for every time Eli Sunday says the phrase 'get our of here, ghost".
8. Drink once for every time somebody open-hand slaps somebody else in the face. (this will take   some work, because sometimes this happens in rapid succession :)
9. Drink three times for each time Daniel is woken up from a drunken stupor.
10. Drink once every time something is on fire.
11. Last but not least, drink four times every time Daniel bowls a bowling ball.[/b]

Hey witt, thanks, this was fun.... Im dead now, but yeah, this was fun...

No problem, we bust out these rules every time we watch the film now at my house.  By the time Paul eats mud, we're as crushed as a frat house on St. Patrick's.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

WideShot

You know the one thing I don't understand about PTA not putting a commentary on PDL or TWBB is that I think on the Sydney or Boogie Nights commentaries he even talks about his infatuation with laser disc commentaries and how much they taught him as a director.  Why would he, now that he is universally respected as a genius director of our time, try to shut out future directors from his insight by not doing a commentary?

I mean, neither PDL nor TWBB were anywhere near the struggle legally to get to DVD as Sydney was and yet he did a commentary there.  I totally understand that he doesn't want to sit and watch the film for three hours, but I mean, fans are asking for it, and again, out of respect for future directors, why shut them out?

Also, I really loved the 1 hr doc on Magnolia... why didn't they do another of those to include on the DVDs for PDL and TWBB?  Between those two, I feel less of a personal connection to Paul.

Sorry to rant here, but didn't think I should open a new topic for it since it is about the TWBB DVD.

Stefen

Because he's a selfish piece of shit who only cares about himself.  :yabbse-angry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: WideShot on February 04, 2009, 01:15:21 PM
Also, I really loved the 1 hr doc on Magnolia... why didn't they do another of those to include on the DVDs for PDL and TWBB?  Between those two, I feel less of a personal connection to Paul.

A pure fanboy statement. It's unbelievable to me that people would feel less in tune to his films just because he's done away with the personal goodies. I understand fans who are dissappointed Paul doesn't do commenties but get over it because other directors they like don't do it either. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

WideShot

Quote from: Stefen on February 04, 2009, 01:25:54 PM
Because he's a selfish piece of shit who only cares about himself.  :yabbse-angry:

LOL.  I don't know that I would go that far, but I'm trying to find another answer.  Doing a commentary on your film shouldn't be like a chore.  The numerous stories he goes over about the making of Sydney and the insight from PBH and PTA are incredible.  When you hear a guy who's as experienced as PBH casting praises for PTA's writing and discussing the challenge that a scene like the motel scene provides, that is GREAT entertainment and very educational.  So then when you look at PDL and TWBB there is so much to discuss about both of those that its hard to even fathom why not.  But I'll leave it at that I guess.

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 04, 2009, 01:31:55 PM
Quote from: WideShot on February 04, 2009, 01:15:21 PM

A pure fanboy statement. It's unbelievable to me that people would feel less in tune to his films just because he's done away with the personal goodies. I understand fans who are dissappointed Paul doesn't do commenties but get over it because other directors they don't do it either. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

True, I probably am a "fanboy".  I watched Boogie Nights on TV one night trying to figure out what all my friends were talking about, expecting a late night showtime special and I was, shocked.  I was like "So that's what you can do with movie making."  That was the single movie that really sparked my love of cinema and then I began to dig deeper into PTA's films.

And I beg to differ in that I do let the films stand on their own.  Believe me, I watch the movie first and digest it.   Then maybe once more before digging into the special features.  The only reason I don't watch the movie more is because I don't like to see it so much that I don't want to see it again.  I was in awe each time I saw a PTA film for the first time.

But the doc thing is different.  Hardly anyone does a diary thing like that.  And it was very raw and gave a terrific glimpse into the working style of PTA, great actors like Julianne Moore, PBH, PSH, JCR and others, and took you through the whole process of making the movie but on such an intimate front.  I mean, the footage of PTA and fiona in his editing bay is priceless.  WHM's comment out on the balcony about Paul grinding the lenses they used in the film and developing the film in his bathtub is fucking hilarious.  Where else are you going to see that?  So that's why its so frustrating that not only did the commentary go away but that very personal look into PTA's style evaporated too and we really haven't seen it since.

We have to go to some pretty obscure written interviews to get even some insights into how the film came together.  Watching the DDL/PTA interview on Charlie Rose was totally coy/junketish type material.  Not the same.

Oh well.

private witt

The footage of PTA and Fiona is priceless because it's a rarity.  If you got to see things like this on every DVD you wouldn't value it anymore.  Watch all the appearances of Paul on Charlie Rose for each of his films.  He has less and less to say about them after they're done.  Then watch his appearance on Henry Rollins before he shot TWBB, he's practically jumping up and down.  Bottom line, Paul's to the point where he feels the films speak for themselves, and talking about it for three hours will only detract from the film.  Cardnal rule : show it, don't say it.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

WideShot

Like I said, I totally understand that motive.  Many directors elect to not do commentaries, probably for that reason.  But Paul comes from the first generation that actually reaped the benefits of commentaries, and he knows how much his fans want it, so that I don't understand.  I also agree that if I had filet mignon everyday I probably would grow tired of it.  But Pauls movies come out maybe once every 3 or 4 years.  I think thats enough time between installments.  I don't need a webcam of the guy, but I would like some nice behind the scenes footage.  I guess its a catch-22. ( cue Mark to flip out).

private witt

As with all directors who establish a life long career, you can go two ways: you can either have kids and lose your balls and start making family friendly films and relish doing press, or you can keep pushing the envelop and grow to despise the utterly ridiculous questions the press will ask like, "What does the harmonium represent?" or "Is Mark Walhberg a terrible singer or really good at acting like a terrible singer?"  Paul is following Kubrick in more ways than one. 

picolas

there's no correlation between doing commentaries, having children, and losing your balls.

private witt

Quote from: picolas on February 04, 2009, 09:39:54 PM
there's no correlation between doing commentaries, having children, and losing your balls.

Glad you caught my sarcasm.

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on February 04, 2009, 09:39:54 PM

You say that now, but just wait until Variety is reporting that his next project will be directing Wayne Brady in "Daddy Day Spa".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

I don't know for sure of course, but I think that when you're young you're more full of yourself than in any other time of your life, and you love the sound of your own voice and you love your own explanations for the shit you do. But then I guess something happens and you realize that's completely unimportant. In reality, commentaries and behind the scenes are not that interesting. Maybe they are superficially, but you don't really learn from them anything you can't form the films themselves. In the end, the films are the ones where you learn everything from. So fuck the commentaries. They're good mainly for gossip, anecdotes and entertainment. But watch the film 100 times and then you will have learned something useful, maybe.

72teeth

Quote from: Alexandro on February 05, 2009, 12:11:57 AM
I don't know for sure of course, but I think that when you're young you're more full of yourself than in any other time of your life, and you love the sound of your own voice and you love your own explanations for the shit you do.

Quote from: private witt on February 04, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: 72teeth on February 05, 2009, 12:20:23 AM
I don't know for sure of course, but I think that when you're young you're more full of yourself than in any other time of your life, and you love the sound of your own voice and you love your own explanations for the shit you do.

Quote from: private witt on February 04, 2009, 09:44:03 PM

I don't think it's a joke for WideShot. I think he feels like he wants to know Paul Thomas Anderson personally and bask in the creative process of making films with him. That's what all the DVD goodies mean to him. I know other people who liked PTA to an unhealthy degree and while I don't know WideShot at all, it's a little suspect.

WideShot

I don't know for sure of course, but I think that when you're young you're more full of yourself than in any other time of your life, and you love the sound of your own voice and you love your own explanations for the shit you do. But then I guess something happens and you realize that's completely unimportant. In reality, commentaries and behind the scenes are not that interesting. Maybe they are superficially, but you don't really learn from them anything you can't form the films themselves. In the end, the films are the ones where you learn everything from. So fuck the commentaries. They're good mainly for gossip, anecdotes and entertainment. But watch the film 100 times and then you will have learned something useful, maybe.

I can't learn something from PBH, Melinda Dillon, and PTA working on lines together in a quiet place just off set?  How to direct something crazy like falling frogs from the sky?  How the pitch meeting went at New Line early in the process?  OK, I think we're just going to disagree.

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 05, 2009, 12:28:41 AM
I don't think it's a joke for WideShot. I think he feels like he wants to know Paul Thomas Anderson personally and bask in the creative process of making films with him. That's what all the DVD goodies mean to him. I know other people who liked PTA to an unhealthy degree and while I don't know WideShot at all, it's a little suspect.

Please.  He's an incredible writer and director.  I think in the top 5 working today.  A true genius, and someone who has made several incredible films already in his career.  I just want a little insight into his working processes and the atmosphere on the set.  Mainly I just wanted to make the point above that since PDL was released, I've never seen anyone make and that is that Paul himself has said how much he loves commentaries.  He doesn't do them now.  I find that odd.  Oh well, I'll live.  Someday, if he and I ever have a beer together I'll ask him a few questions.  If not, oh well, loved the movies.