The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Fernando

Quote from: Pozer on September 07, 2012, 10:00:10 PM
one week from today. at this exact time. in a dome out in La-La Land. :inlove:

buddy, I expect a pozerrific post of your adventure (spoiler free of course)

HeywoodRFloyd

Don't really know wtf is going on in venice right now.

1st Report - PTA wins best director
2nd Report - There has been a mixup, PTA wins jury prize

3rd Report - This:

Don't know what's true and what's not.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on September 08, 2012, 01:49:59 PM
Don't really know wtf is going on in venice right now.

1st Report - PTA wins best director
2nd Report - There has been a mixup, PTA wins jury prize

3rd Report - This:

Don't know what's true and what's not.

EDIT:
Reports now indicate that the physical prizes were mixed up, not the actual categories, Hence PTA won the best director prize!
Fuck yeah.

InTylerWeTrust

Official Awards of the 69th Venice Film Festival

• VENEZIA 69

GOLDEN LION for Best Film to PIETA by Kim Ki-duk (South Korea)

SILVER LION for Best Director to THE MASTER by Paul Thomas Anderson (USA)

SPECIAL JURY PRIZE to Paradies: Glaube by Ulrich Seidl (Austria, Germany, France)

COPPA VOLPI for Best Actor to Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix
in the film THE MASTER by Paul Thomas Anderson (USA)

COPPA VOLPI for Best Actress Hadas Yaron
in the film LEMALE ET HA'CHALAL by Rama Bursthein (Israel)

MARCELLO MASTROIANNI AWARD for Best New Young Actor or Actress to Fabrizio Falco
in the films BELLA ADDORMENTATA by Marco Bellocchio (Italy) and È STATO IL FIGLIO by Daniele Ciprí (Italy)

AWARD FOR BEST SCREENPLAY to Olivier Assayas
for the film APRES MAI by Olivier Assayas (France)

AWARD FOR THE BEST TECHNICAL CONTRIBUTION (CINEMATOGRAPHY) to Daniele Ciprì
for the film È STATO IL FIGLIO by Daniele Ciprì (Italy)
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

HeywoodRFloyd

malkovich

THE MASTER Press Conference | Festival 2012

ElPandaRoyal

He has now won Best Director at the three most important european film festivals.  :bravo:
Si

InTylerWeTrust

That press conference was excellent. Loved the part where he talked about Huston's "Let there be light" and when he mentioned he has TCM on at all times. I do the same thing.

My favorite part though, was:

Q: Paul, what do you think of all the Oscar buzz this movie is getting?

PTA:  Great... FUCKING GREAT...

:laughing:  He doesn't give a shit.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

MacGuffin

Paul Thomas Anderson Not Angered Over Apparent Venice Award Snafu
Source: Movieline

If there is any disappointment or bitterness that The Master was set to receive the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival today, only for the top prize there to be "re-assigned" due to a rule limiting the number of awards one title can receive, then director Paul Thomas Anderson did not show it this afternoon at the Toronto International Film Festival where the film is having its North American premiere. Anderson along with actress Amy Adams and producer JoAnne Sellar spoke with reporters at the festival along with TIFF co-director Cameron Bailey.

"It was amazing what happened in Venice. Philip [Seymour Hoffman] was able to go over there because Joaquin [Phoenix] and I have duties over here at this festival," said Anderson. "And, it was amazing what they gave us. The best part was that they gave [awards] to both of the boys."

Anderson acknowledged that he was aware of the apparent controversy, but said he was satisfied with the prizes The Master received at the Italian festival.

"I'm thrilled with whatever they want to hand over. I heard some of the scuttlebutt recently but I'm just thrilled with what they hand over. And that's all."

Along with the Best Actor prize being split by Hoffman and Phoenix, Paul Thomas Anderson was awarded Venice's Silver Lion for Best Director, while Korean director Kim-Ki Duk's Pieta received the festival's Golden Lion.

Asked if he was disappointed he couldn't be in Venice to pick up the awards personally, Anderson joked, "Through our studies on this film we've gotten to where we can do time travel. I'm actually at two places at once. I'm at the Pizza Hut and the Taco Bell."

Audiences in Venice and now Toronto are buzzing over The Master. Laura Dern also stars in the film along with Hoffman, Phoenix and Adams revolving around "drifters and seekers" in post World War II America. The film revolves around the journey of a Naval veteran (Joaquin Phoenix) who arrives home from war unsettled and uncertain of his future - until he is tantalized by "The Cause" and its charismatic leader (Philip Seymour Hoffman).

Anderson appeared to be a bit surprised by the buzz the film is generating, but said he is pleased. "I don't know why the film is resonating. I'm not sure what's going on. We were proud to show it, but for people to be gravitating to it in such a way, it just feels so gratifying."

"It's a film you really have to think about and it's part of the time we're living in," added Sellar. "There aren't a lot of films out there at the moment like that."

Amy Adams said her experience on the set were not quite what she had expected going in, saying she was surprised by the leeway that she and her fellow actors were given. "I thought it was going to be very very serious, but we actually laughed a lot and had a lot of fun," said Adams. "There was a lot of freedom and we were allowed to experiment and fail. But going into it, I thought it would be very, very serious."

"Over the years, Paul has become a freer director [and] more organic," added Sellar. "For me and Daniel [Lupi], my producing partner, we were able to support his vision and make changes and go on the fly."

And now that Venice's awards are history, chatter in Toronto is now already looking toward Oscar and The Master is getting plenty of buzz. Asked about the Academy Award conversation among TIFF attendees this weekend, Anderson said simply, "Great."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

coke

Yeah he didn't seem to give a shit about the oscars but thats a change because remember when the coens won for directing  in 07 they showed him and you could see the ah fuck look on his face he cliched his teeth and it looked like he said shit. which was kinda funny actually i think i wouldve said the same thing. dammit thought i had this one.

MacGuffin

Venice 2012: Jury President Michael Mann Explains 'The Master' Voting Decisions (Exclusive)
The rules allowed Mann and his jury to give acting awards to the Paul Thomas Anderson film--but not if it won the top prize.
Source: THR

Venice Film Festival rules allowed its jury to honor the director and two stars of The Master with awards on Saturday — but not if the film was given the top prize, jury president Michael Mann told The Hollywood Reporter.

In a phone interview from Venice, where the American filmmaker and an 8-person jury announced their picks Saturday, Mann said they worked within the system to figure out how to best reward Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master and Korean director Kim Ki-duk's Pieta, which took the top Golden Lion award. 

"The rules are very specific," Mann said. "A film may only win one award. The exception is actors. A film could win for actor and one of the other awards, but a film can't win for actor and Golden Lion."

So the jury decided to give Anderson the Silver Lion award for directing and to split the acting award between co-stars Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The joint acting nod was possible because of another quirk of the Venice rules that allows acting honors to be shared. Thus the jury was able to essentially give The Master three awards, though it meant the film would not be handed the top honor.

"[The Master] was awarded best director because we really thought Paul Thomas Anderson's directing was fantastic," Mann said. "And it allowed us to award the actors. Nobody else could have played these roles. It's a three-handed triumph."

Mann said the jury also really loved Pieta. But he declined to comment on the specifics of the jury deliberations except to praise his colleagues. THR reported earlier Saturday that The Master filmmakers were informed Friday night by Venice staff that the jury had initially intended to award it the top prize but that it would no longer receive the honor due to festival rules. A call to Venice artistic director Alberto Barbera was not returned.

This isn't the first time the quirks of the festival rules have garnered attention at Venice. In 2008, the jury gave the Golden Lion to Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler amid reports that it also wanted to honor Mickey Rourke as best actor, a prize that instead went to Italy's Silvio Orlando for his work in Giovanna's Father.

The Venice awards are important not just because the annual event is the world's oldest film festival and attracts a jury of such top film figures as Mann (Heat, Public Enemies). The awards, coming at the start of Hollywood's awards season, are seen as an early Academy Awards predictor (though in past years, the Venice jury has selected some odd films that don't go the distance to Oscar night.)

For his part, Anderson was gracious toward the Venice jury at a press conference for The Master on Saturday at the Toronto International Film Festival."I'm thrilled with whatever they want to hand over," Anderson said. "I heard the scuttlebutt recently, but I'm thrilled with whatever we got."

Harvey Weinstein, leader of The Master distributor The Weinstein Co., also said the Venice situation was a positive development for the film. "No, no, it's great," he told the TIFF media. "We think it's better."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

noyes

Quote from: coke on September 08, 2012, 08:12:21 PM
Yeah he didn't seem to give a shit about the oscars but thats a change because remember when the coens won for directing  in 07 they showed him and you could see the ah fuck look on his face he cliched his teeth and it looked like he said shit. which was kinda funny actually i think i wouldve said the same thing. dammit thought i had this one.

With all due respect to the Coens, TWBB is far superior to NCFOM. Academy got that one wrong. Then again, films like TWBB don't fit the mold anymore, it seems, so it makes sense.
south america's my name.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: noyes on September 09, 2012, 09:18:40 AMAcademy got that one wrong.

Yeah, but that tends to happen a lot. At least Old Country is a good movie.

Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Crash

I could go on...