singer robert palmer dies at 54

Started by Jack Sparrow, September 26, 2003, 07:59:47 AM

Jack Sparrow

london, england --rock singer robert palmer has died in paris of a heart attack at the age of 54, his manager said.

the british star, whose chart hits in the 1980s included "addicted to love," suffered the attack in the early hours of friday morning, mick cater said.
the yorkshireman, who had lived in switzerland for 16 years, was staying in the french capital with his partner, mary ambrose, after traveling from the united kingdom where he had been recording a tv show. "i can't say anything else at this point, i'm just in shock," cater told cnn. palmer was in several british rock bands before he hit the big time as a solo artist with singles that also included "simply irresistible" and "some guys have all the luck." the slick "addicted to love" video, featuring the sharply dressed palmer and miniskirted models, became one of mtv's most-played clips and sparked protests from some feminists. "i'm not going to attach inappropriate significance to it because at the time it meant nothing. it's just happened to become an iconic look," palmer once said of the video. he formed the power station in 1985 with john taylor and andy taylor from duran duran, scoring three u.s. top 10 hits, including "communication" and "get it on." despite his chart success he shunned the rock 'n' roll lifestyle. "i loved the music, but the excesses of rock 'n' roll never really appealed to me at all," the associated press quoted him as saying. "i couldn't see the point of getting up in front of a lot of people when you weren't in control of your wits." palmer was noted for his dress sense and respect for his fans. "i don't want to be heavy," he said in an interview with rolling stone magazine. "i can't think of another attitude to have towards an audience than a hopeful and a positive one. and if that includes such unfashionable things as sentimentality, well, i can afford it."

phil marlowe

OHH GOD HE WAS SUCH A HUNK

i will miss him

neatahwanta

MacGuffin

I can't believe it. What is going on?

I was a fan of Palmer's, and enjoyed his crooning of classic songs better than say Brian Ferry. His 'Heavy Nova' has a beautiful rendition of "It Could Happen To You", and could be his best album. Sure he got all the recognition from his "Addicted To Love" song/video, but his other songs were just as great if not better than those released. I was even a fan of Power Station. If I responded to the thread about what songs would I use in my movie, it would include some Palmer songs. He will be missed by me.

:yabbse-cry:  :yabbse-cry:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Vile5

Noooooooooooo :!: .......
i can't believe it! he was one of my heroes, with that beautiful voice, i love his cover of Mercy Mercy Me/I Want You and his Every Kind of People, or Know by Now, or I Didn't Mean To Turn You On...
what a horrible year! :cry:
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

meatwad

"i got a bad case of loving you"

r.i.p

Pas

Will someone please NOT die this year ?