Rufus Wainwright

Started by Pedro, January 12, 2003, 07:39:38 PM

hedwig

Rufus will possibly be contributing original music to John Cameron Mitchell's upcoming film, "SHORTBUS," aka, "The Sex Film Project."

kassius

Big fan of his.  I don't really get to hear much of him, since his records aren't played on the air around here.  I sort of have to keep an ear open for new stuff from him, or I'll miss out.

I liked his self-titled debut album, but thought "Poses" was to poppy in places. His newest effort, brings back a lot of the sound I fell in love with from the start, but it too tampers off.

Nonetheless,  he's one of hell of a talent.

Bethie

I own Poses and like it a lot. I'll buy his others eventually. I remember when Kate Winslet was on Letterman promoting Eternal Sunshine she said she listened to Rufus Wainwright while giving birth to one of her children and then started singing "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk." How cute.

Someone else was on a talk show recently that said they enjoyed listening to Wainwright. I want to say it was Kirsten Dunst on Leno, but I'm really not sure.
who likes movies anyway

Pubrick

Quote from: BethieI want to say it was Kirsten Dunst on Leno, but I'm really not sure.
go on, say it..
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I got Want Two today and I'm not even through listening to it yet, but I just wanted to come here and say that Art Teacher is an absolutely heartbreaking song.

Finn

I have pretty much all this guy's music including solo albums, b-sides, etc...and I think he's one of the very best singer-songwriters around. In fact Elton John called him THE best singer-songwriter we have. Of course they're both really gay so maybe that has something to do with that. I love his Want albums, particularly Want One. The concert on the second disc of Want Two is great as well.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gamblour.

Oh wow I didn't know he had a thread. Yes, I have to say he is best singer/songwriter out right now. "Poses" is an absolutely amazing album.
WWPTAD?

cine

anyone see him perform on conan the other night?

ono

Yes.

He was good.

I like Hallelujah.

Pedro

Quote from: ono mo cuishleYes.

He was good.

I like Hallelujah.
his version kinda sucks

Ghostboy

You all should check out his sister Martha. She's got a song called Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole (also the name of her EP) that's just great.

Myxo

Quote from: Cinephileanyone see him perform on conan the other night?

Definetly. He was outstanding.

Breath of fresh air if you ask me..

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Finn

I also loved him on Letterman doing My Funny Valentine. His b-sides Do You Love An Apple?, Leaving You and Leaving for Paris are really great too.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

xerxes

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca
Quote from: ono mo cuishleYes.

He was good.

I like Hallelujah.
his version kinda sucks

hallelujah is actually one of the only covers that he's done that i like, and i like it a lot