By Brakhage-Anthology-Criterion Collection.

Started by NEON MERCURY, March 14, 2004, 08:25:14 PM

NEON MERCURY

..yo!..does anyone have this.....i was thinking about getting this and was wondering for those who have/seen this..whats it all about ??.i have read a brief synapsis and it sounds cool...i don't care if you spoil it... i was wondering whats all included and what are the shorts about....... extras etc..

give me the skinny ..please/thanks

Satcho9

Hmmm. i will just give a warning. Watched a majority of this for my documentary class....if you are on Acid...you might like this movie...Its what I like to call "nonsense".....dont get me wrong...i really like experiemental filmmaking...but having 90 second films that are just flashes of some color and no sound doesnt strike me as too interesting...I know all that went into his films (making films from everyday items, bugs,grass etc. and the Painting of frames)....

Oh...but check out...i think its called "Baby water moving window" if you like watching bleeding vaginas for 15 minutes.

thats my warning.

enjoy.

SiliasRuby

Sounds intriguing to at least watch once
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

godardian

Brakhage's films are entirely narrative-free and are purely visual and geometric; they're all about the texture and juxtaposition, so don't expect anything directly "human."

Some might need to be on acid to enjoy them; I find that if you take them one or two at a time and really pay attention, they're fairly rewarding. I prefer Kenneth Anger or Jack Smith for my American avant-garde filmmakers, but Brakhage has some really nice stuff. My favorite is "Mothlight," from 1963, which was the first Brakhage film I ever saw (at the Whitney Biennial in 1999, a sort of formative experience for me).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: godardian...I prefer Kenneth Anger or...

What have you seen of his?  I keep on eyeing his movies at the video store and wonder if I should check them out.  

I know Scorsese is a big fan.

Pubrick

Quote from: PawbloeWhat have you seen of his?  I keep on eyeing his movies at the video store and wonder if I should check them out.
he's into leather.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: PawbloeWhat have you seen of his?  I keep on eyeing his movies at the video store and wonder if I should check them out.
he's into leather.

and bikers and so on, yes... and pop music... the greatest one is Scorpio Rising. I keep urging Criterion to do an anthology of his, too. Yes, like some little DVD-geek, I e-mail Criterion regularly with my suggestions.  :?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

NEON MERCURY

bleeding vaginas eh??.........sounds rather interesting..right now im eating greasy spaghetti and the image is muted..........so basically, the shorts are the most wierdest, oddest, grotesque things  put to film and thats it??.nothign w/ narrative, plot.......................a.c.t.i.n.g.?

godardian

Quote from: NEON MERCURYbleeding vaginas eh??.........sounds rather interesting..right now im eating greasy spaghetti and the image is muted..........so basically, the shorts are the most wierdest, oddest, grotesque things  put to film and thats it??.nothign w/ narrative, plot.......................a.c.t.i.n.g.?

I wouldn't call them grotesque... but no, there's no plot, no narrative, no acting. Some human forms, sometimes nude, but no characters. Some of them are completely silent, as well.