There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: JG on December 11, 2007, 11:49:12 PMthird row wasn't so bad, but the dude to my right was.  he literally laughed at EVERY SINGLE MOMENT.  i don't know if you guys could hear him, but it was the WORST. 

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

noyes

i'm off to bed.
i'm gonna have Daniel Plainview nightmares tonight.
south america's my name.

john

Quote from: JG on December 11, 2007, 11:10:00 PM
i love paul dano's chin hair. 

edit: no the serious response (cos you guys deserve one) is that its way too early for me to comment on the movie.  i'll say that i didn't have as strong an immediate reaction as i did with say no country, but i'm already cringing as i type those words. what the fuck is an immediate reaction?  was it good?  yeah, obviously.. how good? we'll see.. i don't know how i feel about labeling anything a masterpiece after just seeing it, let alone a movie i've anticipated for so long.

i really did love dano's chin hair though. 

I've heard more than a few people not have an immediate reaction to this. I like that you're not automatically calling this a masterpiece, but I'm curious way so many people seem to be a bit indecisive after this film because, like everything Anderosn's done before this, it seems like all of it's intentions and responses are meant to be felt immediately... then you breathe, then expand.

Or something to that effect.  I'm pretty tired.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Hedwig on December 12, 2007, 12:04:24 AM
Quote from: bonanzataz on December 12, 2007, 12:01:56 AM
number three, i pray to god that none of you asked that lame question about rysher and floyd gondolli. if you were you deserve a good swift kick in da nutz. that was really pitiful and i'm glad paul reacted to it the way he did.

what was the question and how did he react?

guy was basically like, "you've spoken in the past about your relationship with rysher and the making of sydney and i believe that has carried through with characters like floyd gondolli and now daniel plainview. would you like to tell me how your characters from then to now progressed in the way i thought they did b/c clearly i know more about your movies than you do and my thoughts are so brilliant, give me a damned medal." it was just a really obnoxious, hollow question, and paul (who i'm apparently on a first name basis with) just seemed real fed up, both with the moderator and pta nerds in general, and he was all, "uhhh, i don't know. i mean, we are where we are. this is the movie i made" and didn't really expound. more or less just dissed that guy and didn't even attempt to answer his bullshit question.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

Quote from: JG on December 11, 2007, 11:49:12 PM
the dude to my right ... he literally laughed at EVERY SINGLE MOMENT.
Quote from: noyes on December 11, 2007, 11:59:56 PM
he did laugh at everything.

Quote from: samsong on December 11, 2007, 11:30:49 PM
best nap of my life.

if even in your sleep you still laugh hysterically, maybe it's time to put down the bong..

and this DumbRysherQuestion guy takes the cake for biggest douche bag in attendance.

its great cos it was probably cinephile.
under the paving stones.

Bethie

ohh, haha. i wouldnt doubt that one. this thread. you boys. too bad you all already hung out, cause i'm planning a city trip this weekend.
who likes movies anyway

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pubrick on December 11, 2007, 10:34:31 PM
what the fuck are you talking about? your idea was pathetic. i'm glad CMBB didn't get a premiere anywhere near you just to avoid the total embarrassment it would have been for this board.

i was joking, hence the 'thumbs down' in my post.

i don't really expect anyone to do that.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on December 12, 2007, 01:48:45 AM
and this DumbRysherQuestion guy takes the cake for biggest douche bag in attendance.

its great cos it was probably cinephile.

SO close.  One row back.

cine

Quote from: bonanzataz on December 12, 2007, 01:43:19 AMguy was basically like, "you've spoken in the past about your relationship with rysher and the making of sydney and i believe that has carried through with characters like floyd gondolli and now daniel plainview. would you like to tell me how your characters from then to now progressed in the way i thought they did b/c clearly i know more about your movies than you do and my thoughts are so brilliant, give me a damned medal." it was just a really obnoxious, hollow question, and paul (who i'm apparently on a first name basis with) just seemed real fed up, both with the moderator and pta nerds in general, and he was all, "uhhh, i don't know. i mean, we are where we are. this is the movie i made" and didn't really expound. more or less just dissed that guy and didn't even attempt to answer his bullshit question.

hahaha taz, the guy was like right behind me.. btw, i recorded just about the entire Q&A.  :yabbse-thumbup:

noyes

south america's my name.

modage

i woke up at 5am for about an hour just THINKING about movie. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

noyes

i'm listening to the 3rd mov of Brahms's Violin Concerto in Dmj, wishing I could at least watch that final scene again.
south america's my name.

Pubrick

hey everyone, there's a whole other forum where you can say whatever you want about the ending.

otherwise, thanks for the vague hints and autobiographical tidbits, they really mean a LOT to us!

gee, this crowd is really somethin. fuck NYC. i'm going to bed.

(and waking up at 5am thinking about modage waking up at 5am thinking about ted koppel)
under the paving stones.

©brad

my head is still spinning from this movie. nothing i can say right now will do it any justice.

to those who haven't seen it yet, get ready for the ride of your cinephile life to date. and don't worry about expectations or hype or all the glowing reviews or the spoilers you accidentally stumbled upon or watching the trailer ad nauseum. this movie takes all your preconceived notions and gleefully tears them to shreds. nothing can prepare you for what you're about to experience. when it's over, you'll stumble outside in a post-cinegasm stupor trying to remember what your first name is. 

and 'taz you're so wrong. pta owns this movie. it's by far the greatest thing he has or possibly will ever do.

i thought the moderator was fine, he was just obviously very nervous having to moderate daniel day freakin' lewis (who was such a sweatheart of a guy). i was sitting in the same row as the rysher douche. don't know if y'all saw but he was holding note cards as he asked that questions. but despite him the Q&A was really wonderful. here are a few sparkling gems (for those of you that were there, please add to this list)

- when paul first screened the movie for daniel, he was adamant about them staying sober. "we're not drinking!" 3 pints of guinness later they were watching the movie.
- they edited the movie in new york city, and paul said being in the city with all the loud noise really helped them. they also had vodka and steak night every wednesday, "no sides!" he screamed. "this is what the movie should be!"
- when paul first approached johnny to do the score, he sent him the script. johnny read it and said "dude this is great. but i've never read a script before. so in my eyes catwoman might be great."
- someone asked about the inspiration for having no dialogue in the opening reel. daniel said one of the most amazing things about the script was how much you learn about this character in just 20 minutes without anyone speaking (so true). pta went on to say "i don't think these guys really even talked much down there. what would they had said? 'uhh dude that's a lot of oil. we're going to need a lot of buckets.'"
- paul talked a lot about treasure of sierra madre, prefacing it by admitting that "daniel is so fucking sick of me talk about treasure of sierra madre!"

that's all i can remember at the moment. as far as xixax screenings go, sounds like la definitely beat nyc. there was no after party. none of us ask any questions. plus you fuckers didn't save me a seat. i don't know, i expected more from us.

Pozer

you aint kiddin, P.  just read all this, and... wow.  i suppose it took me a day to take the movie in, but get off the pipe NY and let's start seein some enthusiastic reactions here other than "uh, i think i liked it" or "yeppers, there was some blood right there." 

so far noyes did it the best.  i wanted to (at the very least) pour my excitement out to you guys as soon as i could.  more to you than ppl i know.  WHAT WAS THAT MOVIE DOING????!!!!!!  it's epic anderson and you guys are talkin about ppl in the theater?!  ive seen it twice and CANNOT WAIT 'til the 26th.

and what the fuck is this?  why did i have to read this?!:

Quote from: JG on December 11, 2007, 11:10:00 PM
i love paul dano's chin hair. 

edit: no the serious response (cos you guys deserve one) is that its way too early for me to comment on the movie.  i'll say that i didn't have as strong an immediate reaction as i did with say no country, but i'm already cringing as i type those words. what the fuck is an immediate reaction?  was it good?  yeah, obviously.. how good? we'll see.. i don't know how i feel about labeling anything a masterpiece after just seeing it, let alone a movie i've anticipated for so long.

i really did love dano's chin hair though. 

edit: nice job, ©brad.  modage & friends should start figuring out what do with their thoughts soon as well.  and this is the best that's been said:

Quote from: ©brad on December 12, 2007, 09:49:21 AM
and 'taz you're so wrong. pta owns this movie. it's by far the greatest thing he has or possibly will ever do.