CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

modage

whats funny is, with the exception of don cheadle, i dont see any of the people on that cover and think 'actors actor' or whatever.  like, it seems like a cast of people who dont belong in this sort of movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Quote from: themodernage02whats funny is, with the exception of don cheadle, i dont see any of the people on that cover and think 'actors actor' or whatever.  like, it seems like a cast of people who dont belong in this sort of movie.

I can't stand Sandra Bullock, but saw this movie anyway. I'm right there with you on that one. Mat Dillon? I can't remember the last movie he did before Crash. Was it Wild Things? It would be really insightful to hear how the casting director came up with his/her choices.

killafilm

I'd say most of the movies that I like Ryan Phillippe in are kinda sorta 'ensemble' like.

Weak2ndAct

Shithouse.

This is the movie for people who are dumb and think they're smart.  I hated this so much, I'm seriously reevaluating my admiration for M$B (gah, imagine if Haggis had gotten to direct as he had originally hoped).

The list of offenses are too high to count:
- Fraser as the DA-- HA!
- The epically overwrought coincidences
- Snow
- The bullshit copouts (blanks, Dillion crawling back into the car)
- The casting of Tony Danza (when I see him, I think 'oh, Terrence Howard is the director of a Danza sitcom.'  No, Danza plays a writer/producer/whatever, thanks, I've been totally taken out of the movie-- why not cast anyone else, say, who's not a sitcom actor?)
- The opening scene, especially in retrospect
- Luda's character.  Nigga please.

And that's just off the top of my head.  Fuck this movie in the face.

Gamblour.

It's not so much for people who are dumb but think they're smart (though I do agree), as it is for people who just haven't seen movies that have already done this. I mean, if you've seen a Spike Lee movie, this should seem old hat. Coincidences? I don't even have to name the films. I think it just pisses me off that THIS is the film that gets noticed. Ugh, I do not want to see the Oscars this year.

I think what hurts the most is that Conan raved about it so much. Sigh.
WWPTAD?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Weak2ndActShithouse.

This is the movie for people who are dumb and think they're smart.  I hated this so much, I'm seriously reevaluating my admiration for M$B (gah, imagine if Haggis had gotten to direct as he had originally hoped).

- Fraser as the DA-- HA!
- Snow
- The casting of Tony Danza

Thank you so much for speaking my mind.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

SHAFTR

Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: Weak2ndActShithouse.

- Fraser as the DA-- HA!
- Snow
- The casting of Tony Danza

Thank you so much for speaking my mind.

I'm glad more agree with me.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Perineum Falcon

I actually never thought, or even wanted to compare it to Magnolia. What would be the point?
An ensemble cast of characters connected by fate and coincidence? Come on, there's got to be more to it than that.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ono

Quote from: RedVines
Quote from: GamblourI think what hurts the most is that Conan raved about it so much. Sigh.

Well if CONAN says it then it must be great :roll:
You miss the point.  He's smart and very well educated, he's funny, he usually has good taste.  No film is Magnolia, but not every film should try to be.  The point being made in this thread is this film is too on the nose, too obvious, just tries way too hard.  Much like most people during their first 100 or so posts here.

Gamblour.

Quote from: onomataviva
Quote from: RedVines
Quote from: GamblourI think what hurts the most is that Conan raved about it so much. Sigh.

Well if CONAN says it then it must be great :roll:
You miss the point.  He's smart and very well educated, he's funny, he usually has good taste.  No film is Magnolia, but not every film should try to be.  The point being made in this thread is this film is too on the nose, too obvious, just tries way too hard.  Much like most people during their first 100 or so posts here.

Yeah exactly. Why crack on my Conan line, which is clearly lighthearted?

Here's what's wrong: a film like "Do the Right Thing" puts the audience in a position to consider, was Mookie right? Did he do the right thing?  However, this movie takes the rather unobscured elephant and parades it around for two hours. Then people regurgitate what they've seen, rather than consider what they've seen. "Oh America is racist." Yeah, but you could watch two hours about anything like this..."Oh America is capitalistic." There's no thinking involved. American History X even poses a question, "Can people be changed and have their sins unavenged?" This film tries to answer every question and fails at it with melodrama and contrived situations.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Ok, I'm gonna be bold and say yes, it is about racism and that that is not shallow. You can disagree if you want. Saying this movie is not about racism is like saying 40 year old virgin is not about a 40 year old virgin. Sure, there's "other" stuff going on, but for god's sakes, why go out on a limb and say that's not the main issue? You could be wrong, you could prove you're right, but don't try to say it's not about racism just for the sake of being right in some self-proven way.

You know what? I'm sorry, but that's just ri-fucking-diculous to say that it's SHALLOW. goddammit. you pompous ass.
WWPTAD?

The Red Vine

Glad to see you have the capacity to read into movies and understand them to the fullest extent.

I must be as pompous as 80% of America since most people think it's a great film with the small exception of the XIXAX group. Hell, it's at #58 on IMDB's top 250 movies.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

Quote from: RedVinesI must be as pompous as 80% of America since most people think it's a great film with the small exception of the XIXAX group.
80% of America sucks.  we're the elite.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

kotte

Quote from: RedVinesHell, it's at #58 on IMDB's top 250 movies.

Like every fucking film the first month...

context, context, context.